Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 70869 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - A bunch of astronauts walk into a bar
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2014, 12:43:47 am »

"Well if you have any questions about the ice, you can talk to my manager. He's next to the broker's office, just 'round that corner. Watch out for the bird."
He points in the direction of a hall leading out of the bar, toward the cargo warehouse and auction. The doors are made of a transparent plastic filled with a viscous and translucent rippling fluid that creates waves when the door is swung.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2014, 12:46:37 am »

Nerin just shrugs and scans the datanet for information on the ice.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2014, 12:55:57 am »

[3] Unfortunately this half-melted ball of ice hardly has any satellites orbiting it. You need a connection to the worldgate for a datanet connection, and without a comms sat overhead you would have to send signals through the entire ice sheet. You find some local info and learn that the datanet connection on this planet is entirely dependent on a series of atmospheric drones, running on solar power, performing a migratory loop across the south and west Ridges. The path is just barely out of your line-of-sight, and you'll have to go to sea if you want quick access.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:57:58 am by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2014, 01:02:35 am »

Nerin sighs and sees if he can use unprotected wireless devices as a relay.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2014, 01:12:28 am »

[4] If you can send a device into the upper atmosphere you should be able to gain LoS with the relay planes. Alternatively, you can use a device at least ten kilos out at sea.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2014, 01:16:31 am »

((I mean use already existing devices to sorta bounce a signal relaywise to a drone that runs on the datanet.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2014, 01:17:44 am »

((I mean use already existing devices to sorta bounce a signal relaywise to a drone that runs on the datanet.))

((You can, but they have to be located in the right place as per the previous post. Sorry that I didn't make it clear.

If modern phones can tether wi-fi, Smartphones of the Future surely can.))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2014, 01:20:26 am »

((It was also a check to see if there were any able to relay.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2014, 01:22:46 am »

((It was also a check to see if there were any able to relay.))

((Your phone(s) can do it, but you probably don't want to part with it, so you can use someone else's provided you have control of its tethering features.))
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:32:59 am by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2014, 01:36:25 am »

((Apparently you don't get what I mean.))

((Let's say Device A is within range of Nerin and Device B is within range of the drones. Devoces A and B are within range of one another. Nerin sends signal to Device A, which detects Device B, Device A pings Nerin for instructions. Nerin tells it to connect to Device B, which it does so. He then uses Device B to check for Drones, which happen to be in range. He tells Device B to connect to the Datanet. He now has a hands free datanet connection that he acquired simply because there were devices that happened to be in LOS of one another.))

((If future phones are anything like current phones, Nerin can bipass the primary OS by going through the completely unsecured SimCard OS [that actually is the quickest way to gain access to many electronics IRL. Very few electronics have a single OS. If you can interface with the unsecured OS's that run components, you can bipass any and all security.]))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2014, 01:42:08 am »

((I do get what you mean... You send a request from device A which gets sent to device B. Device B, datanet connected, forwards the request to the datanet and retrieves the info, sending it back to A. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible when both devices are capable of sending and receiving info, it just seems like common sense. Perhaps you expected me to explicitly state that, but I saw no reason to.

The main thing is that you have to get device B into a position where it has datanet connectivity.))

((Oh I think I see what you mean. No, you need a constant connection, unless your device is capable of manipulating wormholes casually :P))
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:46:37 am by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2014, 01:44:33 am »

((Or he can ping for available devices.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2014, 02:05:41 am »

((Or he can ping for available devices.))

((What do you mean by this? You can track packets to their destination using your software/hardware, so you know what devices there are.))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2014, 02:14:23 am »

((No wormholes sadly, although the species connection implants use tachyons, sooo he could try and find a KX9 a few systems out to research. He can't connect to a normal wireless device with them, but he can connect to other KX9 within the local subsector of space and have a psuedorealtime chat. [theoretically tachyons can pass through the planet with minimal if any interference, as well as being superluminal due to various weirdass quantum physics things. Quantum physics are weird.]))

((I mean sorta ping a waterborne ship or someone's device off the coast and connect to the drones through it. Although I thought of a better way that allows the introduction of an NPC if you want~))

Nerin mentally groans at the lack of available devices and sends out a ping to KX9 in this system and nearby systems. Anyone able to do a quick datasearch on these "icecubes"? I'm curious and I lack access to a datanet. Nerin forwards known data and a general feeling of annoyace and curiosity in the ping.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2014, 03:04:47 am »

((No wormholes sadly, although the species connection implants use tachyons, sooo he could try and find a KX9 a few systems out to research. He can't connect to a normal wireless device with them, but he can connect to other KX9 within the local subsector of space and have a psuedorealtime chat. [theoretically tachyons can pass through the planet with minimal if any interference, as well as being superluminal due to various weirdass quantum physics things. Quantum physics are weird.]))

((I mean sorta ping a waterborne ship or someone's device off the coast and connect to the drones through it. Although I thought of a better way that allows the introduction of an NPC if you want~))

Nerin mentally groans at the lack of available devices and sends out a ping to KX9 in this system and nearby systems. Anyone able to do a quick datasearch on these "icecubes"? I'm curious and I lack access to a datanet. Nerin forwards known data and a general feeling of annoyace and curiosity in the ping.

((If we want to bring tachyons into this, it depends on how fast they travel. We'd probably have to establish a technobabble means of emitting, guiding, and receiving them.

But for now, we'll just say that tachyons can travel through wormholes and travel at a superluminal but finite speed, so if there is a KX9 on the opposite side on say, Milan, then they will be able to respond, albeit delayed))

((Yes, you can relay your connection off a boat, that's actually what I expected you to do. ;)
There are, however, more things than just boats that you can ping signals off. If your signal can bounce off a surface intact, you don't need to take control of the source to re-emit the signal. Perhaps a boat isn't a smooth enough surface, but a spaceship...))

Nerin: [6/6] You receive a host of replies to your ping over the course of the next few minutes. Sensing most of the incoming tachyons from the direction of the worldgate, you expect some losses due to the steep curvature of space around the mouth of the worldgate.

Sadly, due to the way a worldgate works (the wormhole is maintained at an absolute minimum width of several proton radii until a ship needs to pass through it--this saves tremendous amounts of energy) most of the responses tend to be garbled by interference. In addition, you hear each message multiple times as the responses echo through multiple wormholes, taking a different amount of time along each path. These two reasons are why tachyonic communication isn't mainstream, although it is manageable when the number of users is small.

Fortunately, there are not many KX9's out there in the world, let alone in nearby systems. You receive two intelligible responses, both from the von Karling system (a much more developed and populous system):

"Acknowledged. This is Rex. I see... are you are referring to the novelties sold in Askarian bars? They are an item sold by Ron Picard's Emporium of Secrets. Harmless stuff according to NetKnowledge, though the formula is still a trade secret."

As the next message arrives, Valrak and yourself are overtaken with stress and anxiety. The next thought is brief and incomplete, as if the sender wasn't consciously aware of his thoughts being relayed back.
"Ice cubes? Askarian? Venoa microbes. Focus..."

Venoa is a remote planet orbiting von Hapsburg. It is a ammonia-saturated world with an anomalous ice cap near the poles. Climate models indicate that the ice cap should be much significantly smaller than it is. As it stands, a third of the northern hemisphere is covered in ice, while the rest of the planet is temperate--by the standards of an ammonia-rich world. Numerous research stations exist on the planet, although most are privately owned and record their data on local flashdisks, unavailable to public scrutiny. The life there, in particular, is mind-boggling, having remarkably fast metabolisms for a frigid world.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:13:57 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49