Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194163 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1245 on: August 07, 2015, 06:30:39 pm »

I honestly don't mind the setting change from grimdark to something that allows for everyone to actually fight it a bit without it always being on the peak of utter destruction in five minutes. I didn't see anything saying they would support Old World at all though.

Though I'm hoping the actual books contain some decent rules..Because as is the rules are crap, who honestly thought removing all sense of balance by removing points!?
I... what? How does that work then? What limits army size?
The player's money?

Well...I think Wounds were what they used at Warhammer world? They basically want you to be fair to each other or something.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1246 on: August 07, 2015, 06:40:01 pm »

Well...I think Wounds were what they used at Warhammer world? They basically want you to be fair to each other or something.
Nothing enforces that except maybe for enemy player willingness to play with you.
Which can be compared to this, except with every piece costing money. A lot of it.
">turn up to chess tournament
>make it to round 3, begin placing my pieces on the board. Opponent does the same
We've each got our 16 pieces out
>glance over at his, they're all painted like shit with the ultramarine logo on most of them
>he has six knights and four queens
>he's still setting up
>brings out a fuckload of bishops
>as he's doing this, I call over one of the rules checkers. obviously my opponent doesn't know what he's doing, he is only 6 after all
>rules checker hands me a printout of a PDF
>rules checker says it's fine, and warns me after I make a fuss
>look back down at the board. his entire half of the board is full. all 32 squares full of rooks, bishops, knights and queens. not a single pawn
>ask him where his king is
>"oh I didn't have enough room on the board, so my king's in reserve"
>I'm playing white, but apparently we roll to start
>but he gets to roll with ten dice. I only get eight
>he wins
>deep strikes a bishop onto my king
>checkmate
"
I honestly don't mind the setting change from grimdark to something that allows for everyone to actually fight it a bit without it always being on the peak of utter destruction in five minutes. I didn't see anything saying they would support Old World at all though.
The thing is that nothing was really on peak of utter destruction until End Times and stuff like that, everything was in balance before. And the game being grimdark was one of major selling points for some people at least, but apparently today people are bored with it and preffer Noblebright that makes you vomit.
And there was saying they will support Old World, as there are vidya games in it (Total Warhammer), but they proably aren't going to do it anyway. At least it doesn't look like it.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: August 07, 2015, 06:53:34 pm »

The thing is that nothing was really on peak of utter destruction until End Times and stuff like that, everything was in balance before. And the game being grimdark was one of major selling points for some people at least, but apparently today people are bored with it and preffer Noblebright that makes you vomit.

So you've entirely forgotten the fact that Archaon and the Storm of Chaos was basically ten minutes away. It was never in balance, it was just static with everything about to come down on everyone's heads.

I enjoyed the Grimdark myself, but I don't mind the newer point of the setting as well.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1248 on: August 07, 2015, 07:26:32 pm »

I enjoyed the Grimdark myself, but I don't mind the newer point of the setting as well.
If only people who enjoyed Grimdark FB weren't left on ice.
Also the Storm of Chaos and End Times and whatever would work if someone actually succeeded at something, instead of failing all the time because Grimdark.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: August 07, 2015, 07:56:52 pm »

On an unrelated note, I was testing out character creation in a Monsterhearts homebrew (Yes, a homebrew of a homebrew). The focus of the homebrew is on being in a band, and so it includes a few things like that in the character creation. I may have made something odd, though.

In the test I have a band that consists of a bluegrass fiddler, a jazz trumpeter, a blues singer, and a industrial keyboardist.

Any ideas what this would sound like? And would it rate above 'hipster nonsense'?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: August 07, 2015, 10:10:07 pm »

Gonna post my "awesome" theorycrafted list before I actually get into the game. X-wing Miniatures Game. Is it actually fun? And worthwhile blowing $100-200 on miniatures? They're not too bad as ornaments as it is, and it's cheaper than Warhammer anyway.....

"Stay-on-Target"

3x B-wing Blue Squadron (scrappers)
w/ Fletchette Cannon, Fire Control System
(stress+, long range if needed, furball, all the targeting to not whiff shots)
3x26=78pts

1x A-wing Green Squadron (cheap commander)
w/ Squad Leader, Chaardan Upgrade, A-wing Test Pilot, Stay on Target
(extra actions for scrappers or afterthought movement, but you can't have both at once)
21pts

99pt build. One highly mobile commander to give free actions and stay out of the way (and awesome red movement bumping if needed in the 2-3 speed range), three scrappers that are able to joust, swarm efficiently, or occasionally stress-tap larger targets (YT 2-ship builds).

What do you think of it game-wise? I could sub in another standard B-wing if the commander sucks, or drop lots of fire control systems as well and grab an ion turret Y-wing for a Phantom hard counter. But I think this build will give plenty of options and fun, with some action control and firepower.

So, is it competitive?

edit: Also vaguely thinking a C3PO B-wing/e2 as a tank ship as an option. *must do 2 damage to you* before anything bad happens is pretty scary for a B-wing to have. But there's something to be said for not whiffing shots and free actions (do them barrel rolls. While you re-target and shoot. Because you can.). Thus the above.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:06:04 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: August 08, 2015, 07:52:01 am »

Far as worth goes, who would you be playing with? It seems to be one of those games that people play for the tourney scene. Does your local store/whatever have well populated X-Wing nights?

Relatedly, if you're situated near a thriving X-Wing community, you could probably just pop in and try a demo game to see if it's actually fun.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: August 08, 2015, 08:05:47 am »

On an unrelated note, I was testing out character creation in a Monsterhearts homebrew (Yes, a homebrew of a homebrew). The focus of the homebrew is on being in a band, and so it includes a few things like that in the character creation. I may have made something odd, though.

In the test I have a band that consists of a bluegrass fiddler, a jazz trumpeter, a blues singer, and a industrial keyboardist.

Any ideas what this would sound like? And would it rate above 'hipster nonsense'?
Depending on the level of virtuosity, either bluesy or jazzy. Bluegrass has been cross-pollinated with jazz and jazz musicians extensively study blues stylings; musicians' genre is mostly a theoretical background - whose ideas they've studied, how they analyze certain elements - so it's pretty much a matter of whose ideas are getting picked up on as the three genres are intertwined.

The keyboardist is the odd one out; depending on skill and force of personality he'd either switch genres to fit, contribute some outside-perspective ideas or make it sound like an industrial remix done on the go.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: August 08, 2015, 08:34:45 am »

Depending on the level of virtuosity, either bluesy or jazzy. Bluegrass has been cross-pollinated with jazz and jazz musicians extensively study blues stylings; musicians' genre is mostly a theoretical background - whose ideas they've studied, how they analyze certain elements - so it's pretty much a matter of whose ideas are getting picked up on as the three genres are intertwined.

The keyboardist is the odd one out; depending on skill and force of personality he'd either switch genres to fit, contribute some outside-perspective ideas or make it sound like an industrial remix done on the go.

I bet there is Industrial Jazz somewhere. You could describe Cop Shoot Cop as that, at least.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: August 08, 2015, 08:56:37 am »

Re: age of Saghmahr

It's an honor system, you each evaluate eachother's models to see if someone's trying to cheese your ass. Better for friendly games, terrible for tourneyfags.
Though speaking of which, 40k tourneys sometimes have arbitrary points to scale down the cheese. I.E.  Titan league.
Farseer = 1 tourney pt. +1 jet bike, +1 telepathy, +2 invisibility.
Ergo making two point-restrictions on the game.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: August 08, 2015, 12:01:32 pm »

Gonna post my "awesome" theorycrafted list before I actually get into the game. X-wing Miniatures Game. Is it actually fun? And worthwhile blowing $100-200 on miniatures? They're not too bad as ornaments as it is, and it's cheaper than Warhammer anyway.....

You may wanna watch this, unless you already have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mxPFHBCfuU

Something I don't like much about that game is that it uses geometry and rulers for all the gameplay :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: August 08, 2015, 03:50:17 pm »

Well Fiasco is probably the worst roleplaying experience I ever had... >_< in terms of a system.

It will be pretty hard to top it. Maybe they will invent a game where you have to whip the player you like the least.

Every single time it went to my turn it was nothing but non-stop criticism on every single thing I did. I just wanted to skip turns after a while and even just veto out of even being included in other character roleplays.

They didn't even let me skip, because they didn't see the rules on skipping turns.

Doesn't help that even if I did like it my turns were 1/10th shorter then everyone elses turns... So I'd sit through three hours until it got to me, then do my 10 minute turn and then wait another 3 hours. A sort of bitter sweet thing because on the one hand it will be three hours before my turn was back, and on the other hand I was sitting through endless amounts of non-involved roleplaying. Which wasn't aided by the fact that my character was delegated FAR to superfluous before the game even started.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 03:55:09 pm by Neonivek »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1257 on: August 08, 2015, 03:52:53 pm »

Well Fiasco is probably the worst roleplaying experience I ever had... >_< in terms of a system.

It will be pretty hard to top it. Maybe they will invent a game where you have to whip the player you like the least.
Next edition Warhammer 40k Dark Eldar will be proably like that.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: August 08, 2015, 03:53:36 pm »

They already did, it's called eclipse phase.
Nom nom nom

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: August 08, 2015, 05:54:00 pm »

Far as worth goes, who would you be playing with? It seems to be one of those games that people play for the tourney scene. Does your local store/whatever have well populated X-Wing nights?

Relatedly, if you're situated near a thriving X-Wing community, you could probably just pop in and try a demo game to see if it's actually fun.

There's a couple of games clubs within driving distance (admittedly the Gold Coast isn't exactly a thriving TT gaming hub, but there's Logan and Brisbane near enough by). There's too much stuff for people to do in other areas around here :)

I'm also roping my sister into a few games. She's a star wars fan, but not really a TT fan. At worst, they're slightly overpriced figurines that have some cool factor and won't be considered clutter.

For the worth, it's hard to say. I can spend $100-200 dollars at a pub on a good day, yet only get a hangover and eventual liver failure from it in the long run. But I still do it, and quite enjoy myself.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 131