Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194155 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1260 on: August 08, 2015, 07:00:31 pm »

Well Fiasco is probably the worst roleplaying experience I ever had... >_< in terms of a system.

It will be pretty hard to top it. Maybe they will invent a game where you have to whip the player you like the least.

Every single time it went to my turn it was nothing but non-stop criticism on every single thing I did. I just wanted to skip turns after a while and even just veto out of even being included in other character roleplays.

They didn't even let me skip, because they didn't see the rules on skipping turns.

Doesn't help that even if I did like it my turns were 1/10th shorter then everyone elses turns... So I'd sit through three hours until it got to me, then do my 10 minute turn and then wait another 3 hours. A sort of bitter sweet thing because on the one hand it will be three hours before my turn was back, and on the other hand I was sitting through endless amounts of non-involved roleplaying. Which wasn't aided by the fact that my character was delegated FAR to superfluous before the game even started.
I haven't played Fiasco myself, but this sounds more like a problem with the people you were playing with than inherent flaws in the system. Though I haven't read the rules myself, so maybe there is something in there about how you have to unfairly criticize other players and take a long time on your turn just stroking your own ego. Though I really didn't get that impression from the TableTop episode they did of it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 08, 2015, 10:56:42 pm »

Really? My 10 minute turns of endlessness? :P

You sure seem to assume a lot about what happened in the game without actually being there. Did I set fire to their houses too?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:58:48 pm by Neonivek »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 08, 2015, 11:02:39 pm »

Really? My 10 minute turns of endlessness? :P

You sure seem to assume a lot about what happened in the game without actually being there. Did I set fire to their houses too?
I'm pretty sure that's a generic "you," not a specific "you."  The whole "spend a long time...just stroking your own ego" kinda belies the notion that your 10-minute turns could qualify, especially if the other players took up three hours by contrast, and the whole "unfair criticism" thing merely lines up with your own stated complaints about them.  Unless you're saying that the rules really did specifically said "Neon is a jerk." (I kid, I kid) :P
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:04:25 pm by Culise »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 09, 2015, 12:25:26 am »

Obviously I think you, Neonivek, were playing the game wrong. :P

But anyways, my point is that sometimes who you play a game with can unfairly color your opinion of that game, especially when they play it wrong. Like the two occasions my D&D group tried out FATE games and basically tried to play it like it was D&D. There was too much focus on combat, and the GM still had the D&D mindset that everything we face should be straight up beatable in combat, rather than sometimes being something you need to run from or that you might get beaten by, since in that game being defeated doesn't necessarily mean death or TPK. FATE might still be a shit game, but I'm not so sure I can really make that judgment call from the experience I had.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 09, 2015, 12:27:24 am »

Yeah but blaming the game itself is a lot less offensive then blaming the players :P

It was a horrible combination for me because in order for me to have fun I'd need to stop caring. But if I stop caring I lose interest.

Since ultimately the best option would be for me to bow to what everyone else wanted my turns to be.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:10:39 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 10, 2015, 11:38:32 am »

Spoiler: Hmm (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:43:58 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 10, 2015, 11:48:06 am »

Abominable Intelligences, purge them!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1267 on: August 10, 2015, 11:58:08 am »

By the Emperor, YES!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 10, 2015, 01:24:25 pm »

oh noe
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 10, 2015, 02:40:34 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd love to see you roll up to a SRS BZNS store/tourney with your gear decked out like that, just to see how much rage you can cause.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1270 on: August 10, 2015, 02:56:26 pm »

Those trigger flashbacks to War Thunder and horrible, horrible KV-2s with googly eyes.
Good flashbacks. Also, put tiny googly eyes on your infantry.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 10, 2015, 03:06:47 pm »

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 10, 2015, 03:17:03 pm »

That's almost as beautiful as the googly eyes.
Love, scriver~

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 10, 2015, 03:33:25 pm »

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 19, 2015, 06:04:22 am »

Latest stupid Wizard strategy idea in Pathfinder:

1. Prepare a bunch of pieces of paper in advance with Explosive Runes
2. In combat, summon a low level minion with Summon Monster
3. Give the minion the paper
4. Tell them to go over to the bad guy and read what it says
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 131