Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258064 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1410 on: December 30, 2014, 09:01:32 am »

THAT IS NOT THE GERMAN ANTHEM!
The German anthem is the third stanza - exclusively. There's hardly any faux pas an American can make than singing 'Deutschland Deutschland über alles.' And it becomes worse if they a) substitute a u for the ü and/or b) complain about Germans being embarassed about their anthem when it is pointed out to them that it is inacceptable to sing this particular stanza.

Well, I don't know what the German anthem is anyhow, so, easy mistake to make perhaps?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: December 30, 2014, 09:35:44 am »

This is almost entirely wrong:

I was talking about national anthems in the sense of laying out goals.  None of the places where you said I was wrong included any mentions of goals beyond "We'll fight for our country", which I already mentioned.

As an (unusual) American I take offense at you trying to find meaning in the lumbering monstrosity that is our national anthem.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: December 30, 2014, 09:45:47 am »

Do Russians acknowledge that Tchaikovsky was gay these days or is he just airbrushed into an asexual existence?
Wait, what?
... you didn't know? Have an overview, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: December 30, 2014, 09:47:43 am »

I was talking about national anthems in the sense of laying out goals.
Read my post again then, and notice that most of them do lay out goals beyond "We'll fight for our country." The only ones I mentioned that don't are the Canadian, the American, and the Polish one.
And if you reread UR's original post, you'll notice he was talking about the Russian anthem not laying out any goals at all...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: December 30, 2014, 09:54:02 am »

You didn't specify any goals I didn't already mention ("fuck yeah") for Britain, France, Canada or US.  I was listing counterexamples not trying to lay out a universal rule so Germany and Poland are irrelevant.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: December 30, 2014, 10:09:22 am »

There's a bit of a difference between 'Overthrowing tyrants' or 'Defend from invaders' and 'Fuck yeah'... But 'Fuck yeah' as a goal is ill-defined anyway.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: December 30, 2014, 10:12:46 am »

You need to filter that through the specific country in question though, the French Republic.  "Overthrow tyrants" means "keep our current way of government".
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: December 30, 2014, 10:14:29 am »

Do Russians acknowledge that Tchaikovsky was gay these days or is he just airbrushed into an asexual existence?
Wait, what?
He really was gay. He was kinda like Rob Halford, if Rob Halford wrote classical music.

But speaking about homosexuality in Russia, the general attitude is that it's okay to be gay as long as you keep it to yourself, i.e. stay in the closet. Not liberal at all, but here we should blame the prejudices of the general populace and not the law, which says precisely nothing about homosexuality apart from the extremely vague "gay propaganda" law, which is often interpreted by individual judges to follow the general Russian line of "keep is secret and you'll be fine."
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:21:43 am by Knit tie »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: December 30, 2014, 10:51:38 am »

Wait, what?
He really was gay. He was kinda like Rob Halford, if Rob Halford wrote classical music.

But speaking about homosexuality in Russia, the general attitude is that it's okay to be gay as long as you keep it to yourself, i.e. stay in the closet. Not liberal at all, but here we should blame the prejudices of the general populace and not the law, which says precisely nothing about homosexuality apart from the extremely vague "gay propaganda" law, which is often interpreted by individual judges to follow the general Russian line of "keep is secret and you'll be fine."

My art history teacher in high school used to say the following about Tchaikovsky's sexual orientation: "I know all kinds of things about Tchaikovsky, but I love him for his music."

By the way, gays don't get drafted in Army.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:53:24 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: December 30, 2014, 02:20:49 pm »

Meaning you can get out of conscription? or you can't join? or both? This an official thing or just what happens?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: December 30, 2014, 02:24:37 pm »

Meaning you can get out of conscription? or you can't join? or both? This an official thing or just what happens?

Both. And official. As far as I know. Means by which you prove your orientation are not stated, though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 02:28:31 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: December 30, 2014, 02:28:23 pm »

Be stereotypically feminine and/or sleep with the recruiting agent. :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: December 30, 2014, 02:30:46 pm »

Be stereotypically feminine and/or sleep with the recruiting agent. :V

Some of Gunnery Sgt Hartmans more colourful phrasing are springing to mind.
This is a blank sig.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: December 30, 2014, 08:54:46 pm »

They remind me students that started everything in Ukraine. But everything is different. They will have no support from majority of Russian nationalists. They will have no support of Afghanistan veterans (or any other war veterans).  They will have no support of ordinary Moscow residents. They will have no support of tough men from rural areas. They will have no support of football fans.  They will have no support from MPs... and so on. Students and office workers can't make a revolution. Their enthusiasm is a nice detonator but only if suitable explosives exist nearby.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: December 30, 2014, 09:09:36 pm »

Your imagery is troubling.

Edit:
Nobody brought up the whole arrest thing so might as well mention it.  There's an interesting contrast right now between the treatment of a couple of opposition politicians in the US and Russia.

US: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/30/nyregion/michael-grimm-in-a-reversal-will-resign-from-congress.html?ref=politics

Russia:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/world/europe/aleksei-navalny-convicted.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:24:39 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 220