Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258087 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1440 on: December 31, 2014, 01:57:38 pm »

Has anyone ever mentioned that this thread could probably do with some fire retardant sometimes?
All discussions about Russia are always high on vitriol and low on civility. Why this happens - science is puzzled, but this phenomenon has been observed as far back as in the early years of the Russian Empire.

Now you know.

@UR: I don't talk about Ukraine's economic problems here because this thread is not about Ukraine and also because I think that taking joy in other people's troubles is not a nice thing to do, even though I am guilty of doing this in the third Ukraine thread.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:07:35 pm by Knit tie »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 31, 2014, 02:11:29 pm »

Has anyone ever mentioned that this thread could probably do with some fire retardant sometimes?
All discussions about Russia are always high on vitriol and low on civility. Why this happens - science is puzzled, but this phenomenon has been observed as far back as in the early years of the Russian Empire.

Now you know.

Russia's continuing existence has always made a lot of civilized Western folks really mad. Many of these folks tried to put an end to it, but they perished.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 31, 2014, 02:20:38 pm »

Now you know.

Russia's continuing existence has always made a lot of civilized Western folks really mad. Many of these folks tried to put an end to it, but they perished.
We even have a saying: "whoever comes to us with a sword, shall perish by it." So far it has been true.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:22:35 pm by Knit tie »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 31, 2014, 02:22:44 pm »

Now you know.

This is point I see raised a lot. Most "civilized western folk" have held no such attitude since the fall of the USSR. Even then, it was not Russia or the Russians that were "hated" - it was Communism. Most of us "nothing" Russia - no love, no hate, just beige ambivalence which we have for most other nations, and more recently a sense of disdain for the actions of your current leader, and mistrust for some of the attitudes displayed by your state influenced media and by proxy your society. In any sense, no anger. No being mad. A few leaders may have made Russia (or Russia's leaders) an enemy in the past, but no more often than they made enemies of any other nation, or Russia themselves made enemies. I suspect a lot of Russia's populace is shovelled news/propaganda telling them how much we in the west apparently hate them, and shovel it up with glee.
This is a blank sig.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 31, 2014, 02:25:08 pm »

Now you know.

Rather, Russia's continued failed attempts at competing with the rest of the world are driving many Russians so mad they will rather dig up some past successes(or rather events perceived as such) than concentrate on what should be done and who's responsible for the situation at hand(if the last is done, it cant be themselves, ever). This is no mystery, as saber rattling and yelling is always easier than looking at the mirror.

See?

As MonkeyHead says above, the perception of West being Russia's enemy and hating you all is just that, a self built perception. Get over your glorious Russian selves.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 31, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »

It's basically a persecution complex. "The West hates us! That's why we have to defend ourselves [by invading our neighbors and sabre-rattling.]"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 31, 2014, 02:27:47 pm »

Now you know.

This is point I see raised a lot. Most "civilized western folk" have held no such attitude since the fall of the USSR. Even then, it was not Russia or the Russians that were "hated" - it was Communism. Most of us "nothing" Russia - no love, no hate, just beige ambivalence which we have for most other nations, and more recently a sense of disdain for the actions of your current leader, and mistrust for some of the attitudes displayed by your state influenced media and by proxy your society. In any sense, no anger. No being mad. A few leaders may have made Russia (or Russia's leaders) an enemy in the past, but no more often than they made enemies of any other nation, or Russia themselves made enemies. I suspect a lot of Russia's populace is shovelled news/propaganda telling them how much we in the west apparently hate them, and shovel it up with glee.
Guardian is obviously exaggerating in an attempt to make a joke. Please don't take everything us pro-Russians say so seriously, we like to post deliberately over-the-top things as well as everybody else does.

@Descan and Erkki: Most Russians aren't as crazy as you think they are. They are just fatalistic and apathetic, and thus appear to be crazy by not protesting against skeevy stuff our politicians do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:32:40 pm by Knit tie »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 31, 2014, 02:28:36 pm »

Why should we hate Russia? Its economy is fairly unimportant and its only significant contributions to ours are imports of raw materials and hydrocarbons. It no longer opresses our people, it no longer is a deadly threat - the most significant emotion Russia will evoke is slight annoyance and a certain nostalgic fear, an old reflex, only still around because nobody quite internalized yet that Russia was but one part of the USSR.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 31, 2014, 02:33:41 pm »

Why should we hate Russia? Its economy is fairly unimportant and its only significant contributions to ours are imports of raw materials and hydrocarbons. It no longer opresses our people, it no longer is a deadly threat - the most significant emotion Russia will evoke is slight annoyance and a certain nostalgic fear, an old reflex, only still around because nobody quite internalized yet that Russia was but one part of the USSR.
Nobody is saying you hate Russia. Guardian was making a joke, for Christ's sake.

Guardian, please tell them you were making a joke. They appear to have taken your remark personally.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:37:58 pm by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 31, 2014, 02:39:24 pm »

It was the biggest part, however. And the core one, seeing as the Russian Empire was named, well, Russian.

Even if Russia looks comparatively weak today, it needs remembering that it wasn't simply granted all these territory it has now. It conquered them.

It's certainly too early for you to declare us completely irrelevant, Helgoland. You speak as if history moves in only one direction, but this is untrue. History moves in a spiral, and events tend to reoccur, even if in a different way than before.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 31, 2014, 02:50:22 pm »

Sergarr - our answer to UR, nationalism included.

Once again, I'd like to mention that I, Guardian and most Russians do not agree with his views.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 31, 2014, 02:51:02 pm »

Nobody is saying you hate Russia. Guardian was making a joke, for Christ's sake.

Guardian, please tell them you were making a joke. They appear to have taken your remark personally.
I was kinda serious there, I'm afraid. But anyway, the past can't be changed.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 31, 2014, 02:53:19 pm »

Guardian G.I.: 1 Knit tie: 0

moral: don't put your words into the mouth of others
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 31, 2014, 02:58:49 pm »

I was kinda serious there, I'm afraid. But anyway, the past can't be changed.
Well, comrade, I think that you shouldn't incite flamewars by saying things like that in full seriousness. There is a lot of anti-Russian myths and prejudices going around (I recommend reading Da Russophile to learn more about them), sure, but saying that all westerners hate Russia is as misguided as saying that all Russians are pro-Putin fanatics - a stupid stereotype that we shouldn't propagate.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 31, 2014, 04:13:28 pm »

happy new year, everyone!
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 220