Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 41665 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 05:02:23 pm »

Apparently, it's aiming to "buck the trend" of politically correct indie games aiming to be art. Not sure how I feel about that. Anyway, if I want a dose of nihilistic ultra-violence, I'll wait for Hotline Miami 2 first.
The author should have looked at GTA if he wanted to do a politically incorrect game properly. But nooooo.
._.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 05:15:40 pm »

I'd play it.  It's been a long time coming.

What, when you murder a million elves and design a machine to harvest mermaid bones that's one thing but this somehow takes it too far?

We celebrate mass murder all the time in our media, there's no difference between this and GTA except a couple shitty little monologues that connect it to real life mass murder.
Shoes...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »

I never said I won't love playing it, I just think it's being so br00tal that it must be tongue in cheek..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 05:38:14 pm »

The thing that turns me off is that, having watched most of the trailer, the game's creator seems to have really invested in the whole realism thing. GTA, you can't really sympathize with most of the people you kill because they're either civilians that are played up as weak-minded idiots who deserve a Darwin award just by living in the city, cops who bully the shit out of everyone and act calm and even smug while you're gunning them down in droves, gang members who dress up in uniforms fit to take away any bit of humanity they might otherwise present to you, and the occasional bad guy who is, you know, a bad guy, and probably completely deserves the bullet you put in his or her head.

In this game, people seem to run, hide, scream, and beg for mercy. You can hear cops begging for backup on the radio, their voices shaky and cracking. It's not just about the ultra-nihilistic bullshit the character spouts. It's about the disturbing level of realistic detail put into the characters you're supposed to be killing en-masse.
Nothing important here, move along.

GobbieMarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 05:40:32 pm »

It looks like a twin-stick shooter, I assume it's randomly generated levels you score attack your way through. I can't see myself playing it more than like half an hour.

Honestly, I assumed it was basically indie Spec Ops, except it's not pretending. I also don't buy the comparison to GTA - In this the civilians are screaming and begging for their lives. In GTA they call you names and make quips about their insurance. The tone is entirely different.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 05:41:35 pm »

The preachy little monologue at the very beginning is probably the worst part of the whole thing.
The youtube comments are probably the worst part of it.
I'd argue the wasted potential is probably the worst part of it, but that's always the worst part of anything.

User comments may be a close second for universal constants, though.

Apparently, it's aiming to "buck the trend" of politically correct indie games aiming to be art. Not sure how I feel about that. Anyway, if I want a dose of nihilistic ultra-violence, I'll wait for Hotline Miami 2 first.
The author should have looked at GTA if he wanted to do a politically incorrect game properly. But nooooo.
It's also awkwardly situated for either of the goals it might have, at least to me. If they just wanted to be "not necessarily politically correct," I'm not sure where the pointless hyped-up murder comes from. If they wanted to be deliberately anti politically correct, I don't see why we're just murdering everyone instead of racially cleansing children or something.

Which would leave this as what, exactly? Different Therefore Art But Not Too Different Because Then It Wouldn't Sell?

In this game, people seem to run, hide, scream, and beg for mercy. You can hear cops begging for backup on the radio, their voices shaky and cracking. It's not just about the ultra-nihilistic bullshit the character spouts. It's about the disturbing level of realistic detail put into the characters you're supposed to be killing en-masse.
I guess this could be part of it, actually. Maybe they figured Playground Utopia Builder would be too over the top to count as gritty.

I'd play it.  It's been a long time coming.

What, when you murder a million elves and design a machine to harvest mermaid bones that's one thing but this somehow takes it too far?

We celebrate mass murder all the time in our media, there's no difference between this and GTA except a couple shitty little monologues that connect it to real life mass murder.
I'd play it if it looked good, but it doesn't seem like it's trying very hard. The opening thing is obnoxious and lowers my expectations for the rest, while the gameplay footage looks alright but bland. You can shoot guys. You can shoot other guys. You get a closeup cam view when you execute downed guys. You get a closeup cam view when you brutally execute downed guys.

Then what? Are there randomly generated levels? RPG mechanics? Goals or achievements beyond killing a lot of people before getting worn down by police waves? Hell, I didn't even see that many weapon types in there. How long is running around holding down the fire button going to stay interesting?

If this was a free flash game, I'd give it a try. As it stands, I don't think it's going to end up in my library.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 05:47:10 pm »

This all reminds me of that whole "slavery: the game" controversy that happened a year back. Though that was part of a viral marketing campaign, the response is somewhat similar.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 05:51:28 pm »

I don't even think it was ever made. I'm pretty sure it ended up being a hoax, if I remember correctly.

This might be the same way, I don't know. There are definitely people out there willing to make some fucked up games, but most Neo-Nazis, Taliban knock-offs or KKK groups don't tend to put out something of this quality, at least not of what I've seen.

Not to say this is particularly good, but it's better than any of the normal recruitment garbage out there.
Nothing important here, move along.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 05:52:01 pm »

The thing that turns me off is that, having watched most of the trailer, the game's creator seems to have really invested in the whole realism thing. GTA, you can't really sympathize with most of the people you kill because they're either civilians that are played up as weak-minded idiots who deserve a Darwin award just by living in the city, cops who bully the shit out of everyone and act calm and even smug while you're gunning them down in droves, gang members who dress up in uniforms fit to take away any bit of humanity they might otherwise present to you, and the occasional bad guy who is, you know, a bad guy, and probably completely deserves the bullet you put in his or her head.

Yeah this is my take on it too.  The game bothers me a bit, but not much, since it's clearly another flash-in-the-pan looking to capitalize off controversy.

Quote from: Not Important
My name is not important
Hello Not Important, I'm Not Interested.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2014, 06:04:11 pm »

So, basically a protagonist that's driven by an undefined misanthropy gunning down civilians. I get the feeling it'd get an ESRB of Adults Only if that's all it has going for it. Which basically means it'll likely bomb if no-one wants to stock it. I mean, up to the dev, but this looks like it's gone through a checklist of everything a game shouldn't be like and mashed them all together. It's like being the bad guy in a CRPG. You're evil. Just 'cause. The main character is basically a cut and past body builder, using cut and paste nihilism I guess? I guess the most charitable thing you can say is that it looks like the sort of game Jack Thompson would design, but even that's been done better.

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2014, 06:41:21 pm »

Apparently it's made by Polish Neo-Nazis. No, I'm not kidding.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 07:06:20 pm »

EDIT: Hahaha glad I don't like shooters so even if turns out to be masterpiece, I would not feel like playing it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 04:39:47 pm by ventuswings »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2014, 07:23:27 pm »

Heh, someone made Violence into a video game. What a degraded turd.  :P
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 07:29:13 pm »

So it plays like those top-down zombie shooters except instead of zombies we have humans?

Is there more to the game than just combat? The trailer doesn't really say much.

I might get it depending on the price, but other than that it looks like it plays like a flash game with better graphics and sounds.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 07:59:25 pm »

I find the reaction to this game hilarious and way out of proportion. ZOMG A GAME ABOUT VIOLENCE?

What a novel idea! How horrible!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26