Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 52

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - IC Thread  (Read 58675 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - IC Thread
« Reply #615 on: March 18, 2015, 12:02:00 pm »

Osirio flipped his flail around idly. It was going to take a long time to get across the room, he thought.

"You know, I've been thinking of getting a cat." He comments. "I've heard they can reduce stress, and lead one to a more harmonious life.

I cannot help but wonder recently, I am missing something in my life. Perhaps I need a fortress-or some new armor. Maybe a Warhorse. It's very vexing."
He muses.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 18, 2015, 03:20:43 pm »

"A cat? Are zhey edible?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 19, 2015, 08:46:27 am »

"Yes. The meat is a bit stringy, but...ah, I was hoping for a companion, not a meal."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 19, 2015, 11:27:54 am »

"I have heard of some who are able to get Psuedo-dragons as pets. In our line of work I don't believe they will be willing to work with us but... I have always been taken with the idea myself."
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 19, 2015, 07:32:58 pm »

"Yes, we should. You first, Ava!"

Try to make a suitable torch out of some wood from the fire.
It's far from the world's best torch, but it'll last for the time.

After that, the party turns its collective attention on the northern door. Despite having been open, it's still stuck pretty firmly. It takes a few good pushes to get it to swing open. Inside, you find a room with a few bed frames, rotten chairs, and a hearth long doused. But; what's that? Near the back, there's still a single glowing ember. Someone was here, and not terribly long ago. Perhaps more striking is the three dead drow in the middle of the room, evidently set there intentionally, their corpses ravaged by rot, but not so badly to suggest their death was more than a few weeks, maybe a month ago. And on them, folded neatly, is a piece of paper. Further investigation would reveal it's a map, evidently of the fortress. The labels are in Undercommon, but Ithy can translate, if she so chooses.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

You'd appear to be in the Commons. Looking around, you confirm the existence of the staircase noted by the map. And on the first step lies a quickly scrawled note, in Common. It reads:
"Good morning, Osirio's Bold Men. I see you've made friends with our mutual foes. Please, come up for a drink."

The signature is a meaningless symbol to the layman's eye, but to you, it's unmistakable.

Above the flight of stairs awaits the Lord of Aretrian dressed in red-on-black.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:17 pm »

"Hmmph. More trickery and zneaking."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 20, 2015, 08:46:50 am »

Osirio nodded his head politely. He motioned for his allies to stand back.

"Ah, my Lord. You misunderstand me. When so many lies begin to pile upon one another, a man must needs seek the truth.

The man you send us to kill has an interesting story. He calls you the villains, of course. He seems to serve a different cause than what you led us to believe. Perhaps you are the ones who sought to lead us astray. How can a man know?"
He asks, in a bored tone.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 20, 2015, 09:03:30 am »

Ava stepped back cautiously, hammer almost at the ready on her shoulder.  She bristled, adopting a wider posture, like a wolf with it's hackles raised. She remained ready to push past Osirio, into the way of any attack the Lord might aim at him.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 20, 2015, 11:10:35 am »

Determined to be useful, Ari let his overflowingly powerful mind wander hither and forth, and decided to do a Bardic Knowledge Check! Do I know anything about mines deep below the city of Aretrian?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 22, 2015, 12:39:27 pm »

Determined to be useful, Ari let his overflowingly powerful mind wander hither and forth, and decided to do a Bardic Knowledge Check! Do I know anything about mines deep below the city of Aretrian?

[4+4] You don't know anything beyond common knowledge. However, as a reasonably intelligent sentient creature, you can assume that the denizens of the caverns have to get metal from somewhere, and dedicated mines would uncover more than just spelunking.

Osirio nodded his head politely. He motioned for his allies to stand back.

"Ah, my Lord. You misunderstand me. When so many lies begin to pile upon one another, a man must needs seek the truth.

The man you send us to kill has an interesting story. He calls you the villains, of course. He seems to serve a different cause than what you led us to believe. Perhaps you are the ones who sought to lead us astray. How can a man know?"
He asks, in a bored tone.
With a soft, barely audible sigh, footsteps make their way down the stairs. In a few seconds, the figure clad in black, with the black-and-red mask, comes into view. It speaks, in a voice that seems to almost change; at times, a high voice befitting a woman, while at others a low growl unmistakably masculine.

"I wasn't kidding about that drink, I had a nice Cospenian liqueur up there. But oh well. And you mistake me, little Osirio. I do not wish to condemn, I wish to commend! For this will undoubtedly bring my pompous brother some modicum of grief. I do love his suffering. But let us make one thing clear, child-of-sand.
Faster than the eye can follow, it moves forward like a shadow, suddenly closing the distance between him and the half-elf. A single, gloved hand is at his throat. And do you feel claws?
"Free the beast we've imprisoned down here, and I will make the short remainder of your life miserable."
In reaction, Ava swings her maul, which is almost nonchalantly deflected with a single hand.
"Calm yourself, herald-of-death. I will bring no pain nor death to your supposed lover just yet. Not unless he should fail me. Though I must say, I do admire your spirit. If only all kept to such honor." He turns and takes a few steps back. "But, I've not even introduced myself. I would be Naras the Cruel, master of this place and Lord of Aretrian-- but no doubt you knew that. Now, go along. Sate your curiosity, but do not dare take it so far as to threaten us. For though I do hate my brother, I myself have plans hinging on his convoluted scheme. And I will know if you try to. Goodbye, child-of-sand. I will be watching with great interest."

He starts once more up the stairs.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 22, 2015, 01:11:26 pm »

"...I am no child..." Osirio mutters vindictively, rubbing his neck. He promised himself, if the opportunity arose-he would avenge this slight.

He could be very patient, of course.

"Well, at least we got the threats out of the way...what are the chances one of them would live here?"

Osirio decided to test if the being was an illusion, hurling his sword at it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 22, 2015, 01:44:48 pm »

Ava let loose a gutripping snarl, and took a step towards the Lord, maul raised again... then hesitated, looking back at Osirio. Her instincts warred within her - attack! Kill! Back off, too strong! No, kill! Finally, she stepped protectively in front of Osirio, eyes glued to the retreating figure.

"Are you unharmed, Ozirio?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 22, 2015, 02:00:38 pm »

Osirio looked to Ava with unconcealed calculation, his grey gaze otherwise unreadable. Privately, he was quite intrigued at her ferocity. Couldn't let it show, of course...had to hide his emotions...who knew how she would react, especially if she didn't feel the same way...bah...

"He...'It'...didn't harm me. I believe it was a threat of implied force, rather the application of force itself. A wise strategy, if you wish to conceal your true strength..." Osirio says, with a shrug. "Only my pride is injured. The Lord is fast, I'll give him that."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 22, 2015, 03:54:00 pm »

Ava watched the figure until it disappeared out of view, her thumb raised to her mouth ready to bite, to unleash the bloody magic of her ice-god. When it - he? - was out of view, she growled in frustration, spiderwebbing the rough stone tiles of the floor as she brought her maul down.

"Hmmph... vhat now, Ozirio? It zeems ve vill not be having zhis as a lair after all."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 23, 2015, 03:59:22 am »

"Did he live here? Or appear here? That is some powerful fecking... power. And what's he doing down here where the noble fecker like to roam? Eh? I say we should carry on searching down here, see what's so good - and perhaps if that there Lord's been about, perhaps there's nothing too harmful still here, and we can find us some kind of useful equipment, or cash to equip ourselves back in town, and then we can go fetch the noble fecker and carry on with him."
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 52