Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Animal Sexuality  (Read 7650 times)

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Sexuality
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 06:31:50 pm »

Just wanted to say this is the first time I've ever felt safe clicking a link that says "Animal Sexuality".

Thank you, bay12. Thank you.

What, you don't like baby bears?  ;D  :P

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 11:56:15 am »

Just wanted to say this is the first time I've ever felt safe clicking a link that says "Animal Sexuality".

Quite frankly, I still regarded it with caution.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 12:38:18 pm »

Milk production is independent of all other traits, including being female.
Not sure what you mean here. Did you mean "aside from being female"?
He means that as far as the raws are concerned, the tags that allow milk production are independent of gender.

In vanilla DF, of course, only female animals give milk.  However, you can mod the game to allow males to produce milk.  Or any other liquid, for that matter.

That makes quite a bit more sense, if referring to modding. I thought we were talking vanilla. haha

I was indeed referring to the fact that the raws don't crosscheck gender and milking. Though I am now considering the potential for making plump helmet people lactate booze.

There is an interesting thing that can occur in males in real life. With sufficient stimulation of the latent mammary tissue you can induce breast growth and lactation. So with enough practice and preparation a man could breastfeed the same way a woman can.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 10:22:16 pm »

*snickerfits* XD

I'm just glad that I don't have to slaughter my fellow asexuals as being useless for food productions.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 10:27:27 pm »

Chimerat, just looking at your other posts in addition to this thread, is it safe to think you'll become DF's primere breeder?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 07:23:00 am »

I thought this animal sexuality thing is considered to be a bug  :o

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 08:44:45 am »

Not so much a bug as an incomplete feature.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 05:25:10 am »

Chimerat, just looking at your other posts in addition to this thread, is it safe to think you'll become DF's primere breeder?
>_< Maybe? Will DF ever let you breed for traits? *ducks for cover*

I just like the building aspect. I get a little miffed when I have to shout at my screen "What do you mean there are Goblins slaughtering my lifestock!? I just got those sorted!" ;)

I find for most games that programmers add conflict to keep things from getting "stale" I just like the peaceful parts a whole lot. Probably due to my love of Harvest Moon.  :P

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 09:51:15 am »

I thought this animal sexuality thing is considered to be a bug  :o

It might be a little unbalanced at the moment, but it's not a bug. Orientation for animals has been hard coded into the game and if you want to change or remove it, you need to add orientation tags with your own preferred weights as an override.

>_< Maybe? Will DF ever let you breed for traits? *ducks for cover*

Traits and breeding would be a welcome addition. The only thing you can really breed for right now is strong war animals by killing or selling off small weak ones. Size and strength are passed to offspring. But you can't separate or pair creatures together since animals still get pregnant by sperm spores and you can't breed for coat color, temperament, or higher milk production or anything of that sort.

I just like the building aspect. I get a little miffed when I have to shout at my screen "What do you mean there are Goblins slaughtering my lifestock!? I just got those sorted!" ;)

I find for most games that programmers add conflict to keep things from getting "stale" I just like the peaceful parts a whole lot. Probably due to my love of Harvest Moon.  :P

I, too, sometimes enjoy just the building and managing aspects of these kinds of games and don't want to worry about random invaders. You can turn invaders off in the d_init file and turn it back on if you get bored.

Mister Adams,

G1Radiobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 07:20:58 pm »

What exactly would one have to add to the raws to remove the asexual and homosexual animals and dwarves? I really do appreciate the detail, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle of insuring a breeding pair.
Aiming is for humans.  A true dwarf just arranges for the targets to be standing in the right place at the right time.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 07:41:05 pm »

Adding "[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:0:100] [ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0]" to the male caste and "[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:100:0:0] [ORIENTATION:MALE:0:0:100]" to the female one.

You could speed up the copy-pasting by using Find+Replace. I also wrote a Python script to search all of the relevant files and do it for me, which I can post if you desire.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 08:42:51 pm »

What exactly would one have to add to the raws to remove the asexual and homosexual animals and dwarves? I really do appreciate the detail, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle of insuring a breeding pair.

Ensuring a guaranteed breeding pair, unless you want to guarantee insurance for your breeding pairs against damage. You can ensure your insurance for your own assurance, though..  Yeah, okay, I'm done. I had to.  :-*

Anyway, I have two possible solutions for you.

1.) What Insanity said.

I was actually going to quote your post from earlier. May I ask if it matters if the numbers are 0:0:100 as opposed to 0:0:1 that you had posted before?

And definitely use Edit>Replace or Find>Replace or whatever your text reader does. Still have not confirmed, but Notepad++ is said to be able to replace text on all open files at once.

2.) Add embark points.

When designing a world, by using advanced world creation you could simply add embark points to buy more animals for a much higher chance of getting a breeding pair. Since this is a new aspect to the game and needs some adjustment to work with, I consider it a house rule, especially since an expedition would more than likely make it a point to bring confirmed breeding pairs with them. At least 3-4 per gender of each animal is a pretty safe bet.

Mister Adams,

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 09:05:53 pm »

May I ask if it matters if the numbers are 0:0:100 as opposed to 0:0:1 that you had posted before?
There's no difference. The numbers are a ratio, so you can put any number in there and it will function the same way.

I can also confirm Notepad++ to be by far the best way of doing this. You specify a directory and file type, what to replace, and voilą.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 11:55:36 pm »

There's also this DFHack script that I know about which will fix existing animals so that they will start breeding.
Pages: 1 [2]