Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29

Author Topic: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2023]  (Read 27693 times)

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2020]
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 11:47:30 am »

Proposal 1.3: Change the action a little to use short-stroke gas piston and striker firing mechanism.

This should lessen the barrel climb substantially while still keeping the action simple, safe and reliable.

I'm voting for combined 1.1+1.3 and the mortar.

Spoiler: Proposal tracking (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Edited my proposal to include striker firing mechanism.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:11:17 pm by akkudakku »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 11:50:06 am »

Proposal 1.1 Instead of using the 5.56mm, up the calibre of the rifle to 6.8mm offering better accuracy and far more lethal wounding. Also make the design in a bullpup configuration to make it better suited for CQC without sacrificing range or any other aspect.

I disagree with the 6.8. While it offers better accuracy at close range, it loses it at longer ranges. I do not expect that our soldiers will be fighting urban combat any time soon, making the 5.56 preferable. As for the bullup, the idea is fine but I think our main weapon should be the more versatile standard design, I do not believe that our soldiers will be getting into CQC any time soon.

How about we make a new rifle, with this purposeful, while still making the standard rifle? We could use it for urban combat, the standard for the field.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 11:51:15 am »

What's the name of our nation? Or the Emperors name for that matter?

Proposals from Dr. Professor Patrick:

Proposal 1: Self Propelled Mobile Artillery to be used in operations against entrenched enemies. It'll be modeled after the GCT 155mm design of the french. Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCT_155mm

Proposal 2: Reconnaissance. This proposal is literally about putting eyes in the sky. We'll create our own version of the cessna. Like in the real world it'll be small for 2-4 people and be unarmed. It'll also have camera's on board to shoot photographs below and around it to help watch for movement on the borders and the oceans. Link of real cessnas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna. Fun fact when i was in civil air patrol the Cessna was our most used plane to the point where some of our logo's were based of it.

Proposal 3: Scrap the Destroyer outside the wharf and clear the damn way.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:58:20 am by 3man75 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 11:52:54 am »

Hmm, did someone hear the wind blow?(Hint: Read the rules, those proposals will just be ignored since they don't follow them)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 11:53:11 am »

Proposal 1.1 Instead of using the 5.56mm, up the calibre of the rifle to 6.8mm offering better accuracy and far more lethal wounding. Also make the design in a bullpup configuration to make it better suited for CQC without sacrificing range or any other aspect.

I disagree with the 6.8. While it offers better accuracy at close range, it loses it at longer ranges. I do not expect that our soldiers will be fighting urban combat any time soon, making the 5.56 preferable. As for the bullup, the idea is fine but I think our main weapon should be the more versatile standard design, I do not believe that our soldiers will be getting into CQC any time soon.

How about we make a new rifle, with this purposeful, while still making the standard rifle? We could use it for urban combat, the standard for the field.

Remember that resources are scarce. Can't go around making metric shit-tons of different weapon systems, it will kill our economy.

Most of modern combat is in urban environments and on ranges ~300m so the 6.8 is perfect.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 11:58:27 am »

Remember that resources are scarce. Can't go around making metric shit-tons of different weapon systems, it will kill our economy.

Most of modern combat is in urban environments and on ranges ~300m so the 6.8 is perfect.

Having two different types of guns would be good for the economy, seeing as we are building it ourselves. Business is good. And where did it say resources where scarce?

Most modern combat is completely different. We haven't had a major war in years, and have essentially been sending people to fight terrorist and other small-time enemies. This world is different, just getting out of a major war, like WWII. We will likely see mass deployments, again like WWII, rather than anti-insurgent actions. After all, we are an Empire, which we don't have in our world either.

Exactly how much resources do we have? Some people seem to assume we have enough for MBTs, others think we can't even create two guns without breaking the bank.

*EDIT*

This should lessen the barrel climb substantially while still keeping the action simple and reliable.

The long action is more reliable, we should stick with it. Most people would agree it isn't a *huge* deal anyway, so there is really no reason to change the design from what has worked.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:06:00 pm by Stirk »

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 12:03:59 pm »

Having two different types of guns would be good for the economy, seeing as we are building it ourselves. Business is good. And where did it say resources where scarce?

Most modern combat is completely different. We haven't had a major war in years, and have essentially been sending people to fight terrorist and other small-time enemies. This world is different, just getting out of a major war, like WWII. We will likely see mass deployments, again like WWII, rather than anti-insurgent actions. After all, we are an Empire, which we don't have in our world either.

Exactly how much resources do we have? Some people seem to assume we have enough for MBTs, others think we can't even create two guns without breaking the bank.

Flavor of the world is supposed to be limited resources (voted in another thread).
You can propose that we can have changeable barrels. It would serve the purpose you want .

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 12:04:34 pm »

6) Design an automatic 55mm grenade launcher. Lightweight with high rate of fire. Its AP or HEAT rounds should be good enough to punch through light APCs. As a bonus should be capable of indirect fire.
We lack any kind artillery, that is more important than slightly better assault rifle. Not that using AK variant is better.....
Also we may develop special ammo for that grenade launcher

7) Design a remote controlled drone coast defense 100%-electric submarine. Capable to carry two torpedoes and two light surface to air missile. If resources allow, design a module that will allow our surface vessels carry and service drones   
We need something to defend our shoreline. We need drone constructing experience

8) Design a lightweight full-body armor for our soldiers
Good for when our army is on defensive. Should give us insights before going to sexy stuff like exoskeletons

Long term strategy suggestions:
A) No gun turret tanks, please. Expensive and easy to destroy
B) No redesigning old technologies in general. We have no army, we don't need to reform ourself to adapt to high tech weapons. No need to reinvent howitzers or stuff like that
C)  No spending our effort on something that will improve effectiveness of our army by few fractions of percent (like handguns). If you want a small portable sidearm, try new approaches that can spillover to other areas

Spoiler: proposals (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 12:06:31 pm »

My own starting proposals. Until we can get heavier dedicated weapons on the filed, we need to be flexible and adaptable, and improve our ability to hurt enemy high value assets.

Proposal 5 (Medium): Multi role man portable fire and forget missile system (MRMPFF). Standardised 140 mm diameter 1.2 metre length launch tube with integrated control unit, able to switch targeting functions based on warhead loaded into barrel.

5.1: Anti tank warhead for MRMPFF. Fast burning propellant charge (short to medium engagement range), hardened tip to pierce armour, HE charge to make a mess of vehicles. Guided to target via GPS location determined by and locked into control unit and sent to missile via short range microwave.

5.2: Anti personnel warhead for MRMPFF. Same fast burning propellant charge, but shrapnel/ball bearing plus incendiary style warhead to scatter projectiles in spread pattern to take down softer targets. Guided to target via GPS location determined by and locked into control unit and sent to missile via short range microwave.

5.3: Anti air warhead for MRMPFF. A greater quantity of slower burning propellant to increase range. Same hardened tip as AT warhead, but smaller HE charge to allow for more propellant and more complex on board guidance systems. Guided to target by thermal tracking of target from control unit, transmitted to missile by longer range microwave.

More effective warheads would be HEAT for anti-tank and continuous-rod for anti-air.
Also your proposals for guidance methods are... bad, too convoluted (needlessly).
AA missile should have it's own guidance and fire and forget.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:21:13 pm by akkudakku »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 12:12:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But it was not mentioned anywhere here, so we can assume for now that we have at least enough to have two types of assault rifles.

Changeable barrels would make it more versatile, but would still be more resource intensive and would keep the untested 6.8 round meant for closer combat. I would like us to be able to add things to the barrel, such as an under barrel grenade launcher, in the future.

B) No redesigning old technologies in general. We have no army, we don't need to reform ourself to adapt to high tech weapons. No need to reinvent howitzers or stuff like that

We have an army, it is the largest part of our current military :-\. We do need to reinvent old weapons, simply because we are so far behind. Besides, this is 6 years into the future, we would still be using exactly what we have now.

C)  No spending our effort on something that will improve effectiveness of our army by few fractions of percent (like handguns). If you want a small portable sidearm, try new approaches that can spillover to other areas

Handguns can spill over into other areas. Pilots, navy troops, and drivers all need a small weapon that they can use in cramped spaces. Besides, they are cheap and easy to make. It isn't like making thousands of M1911s would be as hard as making a single battleship.

And in case you missed the last minute edit:

This should lessen the barrel climb substantially while still keeping the action simple and reliable.

The long action is more reliable, we should stick with it. Most people would agree it isn't a *huge* deal anyway, so there is really no reason to change the design from what has worked.

And I did get some votes for the current design:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:14:55 pm by Stirk »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 12:17:52 pm »

You should only need quick swap barrels for squad weapons like heavy, automatic rifles.

Edit:also, Taricus, it's actually a myth that the size of the bullet matters, it's where you aim it. Hit a guy in the neck and the base of the brain, and he's out just like that even if you use a .22 rimfire :P
There's an optimum size. Bullets don't need to be very big to hurt people badly but large rounds are still going to kill better.

A) No gun turret tanks, please. Expensive and easy to destroy
This couldn't be more untrue. If the enemy has armor we need some kind of equivalent to meet it.

Vote for 1.1 and 4.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:21:26 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 12:21:18 pm »

Edited post below to account for suggestion.

My own starting proposals. Until we can get heavier dedicated weapons on the filed, we need to be flexible and adaptable, and improve our ability to hurt enemy high value assets.

Proposal 5 (Medium): Multi role man portable fire and forget missile system (MRMPFF). Standardised 140 mm diameter 1.2 metre length launch tube with integrated control unit featuring anti GPS jamming systems, able to switch targeting functions based on warhead loaded into barrel.

5.1: Anti tank warhead for MRMPFF. Fast burning propellant charge (short to medium engagement range), hardened tip to pierce armour, HEAT charge to make a mess of vehicles. Guided to target via GPS location determined by and locked into control unit and sent to missile via short range microwave.

5.2: Anti personnel warhead for MRMPFF. Same fast burning propellant charge, but shrapnel/ball bearing plus incendiary style warhead to scatter projectiles in spread pattern to take down softer targets. Guided to target via GPS location determined by and locked into control unit and sent to missile via short range microwave.

5.3: Anti air warhead for MRMPFF. A greater quantity of slower burning propellant to increase range. Continuous rod style warhead, but smaller  than in the AT warhead to allow for more propellant and more complex on board guidance systems. Guided to target by thermal tracking of target from control unit, transmitted to missile by longer range microwave.

More effective warheads would be HEAT for anti-tank and continuous-rod for anti-air.

Anyway, on to Proposal 9 (Light/Medium):

Camera drones. Quadcopter configuration, orientable under-slung camera, thermal imaging option for night operations. Wireless transmission to local network/computer. Ability to capture sound too. Remote controlled.

9.1: Separate camera modules without quadcopter attachment that could be dropped in large quantities from a helicopter/equivalent to cover a conflict zone with disposable lookouts.

Know thy enemy and all that.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:48:19 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 12:24:15 pm »

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:35:57 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 12:29:30 pm »

How can I go about turning each warhead into its own proposal?

Proposal 5 addendum:

5.A: Anti tank warhead for MRMPFF. Fast burning propellant charge (short to medium engagement range), hardened tip to pierce armour, HEAT charge to make a mess of vehicles. Guided to target via GPS location determined by and locked into control unit and sent to missile via short range microwave. Dumb fire mode optional.

5.B: Anti personnel warhead for MRMPFF. Same fast burning propellant charge, but shrapnel/ball bearing plus incendiary style warhead to scatter projectiles in spread pattern to take down softer targets. Guided to target via GPS location determined by and locked into control unit and sent to missile via short range microwave. Dumb fire mode optional.

5.C: Anti air warhead for MRMPFF. A greater quantity of slower burning propellant to increase range. Continuous rod style warhead, but smaller than the HEAT charge to allow for more propellant and more complex on board guidance systems. Guided to target by thermal tracking of target from control unit, transmitted to missile by longer range microwave.

Also your proposals for guidance methods are... bad, too convoluted (needlessly).
AA missile should have it's own guidance and fire and forget.

I am more than open to suggested improvements. I wanted something different or original that had no obvious countermeasure that I was aware of, and an easy anti jamming system exists on the open market that could be incorporated into the system.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:47:33 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 12:31:45 pm »

Anyway, who said warheads aren't sub proposals? I see no reason why they can't be.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29