Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29

Author Topic: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2023]  (Read 27699 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
[SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2023]
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:40:16 am »

This game takes place in fictional Universe, almost entirely, but not quite, unlike ours. The Year is 2020, and the world has seen many great Wars. Our nation, found itself at the losing end of one of these, and was forcibly disarmed, loosing most of it's former influence and glory, effectively becoming a puppet state controlled by the coalition that defeated it. While the nation was allowed to rebuild, and shortly began to prosper not much time had past before our former oppressors became embroiled in a serious war themselves, and took us with them.

Though our country was not heavily involved, the scars of the war had a lasting effect on our society, and the fate of our nation. The fighting was not over however. Their eyes opened to the oppression, the people of our nation have revolted and overthrown our puppet government.  Looking back upon it's ancestral history, the Emperor's position was reinforced and a more traditional government installed. And peace and prosperity restored. This is however not a time for festivities as war is once again looming over our country. Our neighbors have refused to recognize our country, and covet our lands.

So Today is the first day of your new job, as head of our nation's only institution on military development. Our military has long been heavily restricted, and most of the navy has been seized, or has been sunk to avoid falling into enemy hands. Our equipment is seriously outdated, and the threat of war once again looms over the nation. You've been given control of one of our more advanced bases.

Spoiler: Our Glorious Military (click to show/hide)

Designer notes:
I am using plenty of abstractions and best guesses. So well, when giving details, please say what's special about them.

I will occasionally come in with demands from the government and military to develop a general/specific type of thing. You are otherwise permitted to design any kind of hardware you like. Note that the more outlandish technologies you propose may be impossible, have severe drawbacks, or take far more resources than you have to develop. Even for entirely reasonable projects, there will be some element of chance where what you want to produce will end up costing more or less than you anticipated, or what you get may not exactly match your proposed design.

Design of vehicle and ships is a large project, design of new large weaponry is a medium project, and modifications of either and small weaponry design are a small project.

Rules
1. All proposals must be bolded
2. All proposals must have an unique number
     -In case of accidental duplication, please split in 6a and 6b, or add one to the end of the queue. Don't move up everything else. That causes confusion
3. All proposals must be marked as a Large, Medium or Small project.
4. Design proposals begin at 1, for each year
     -Proposals continued from last year will be placed in italics, and include the year before the number. (Only do this for proposals that were worked upon).
5. Production proposals begin at A, for each year.
6. Other proposals, like reorganization of the team or political war plan suggestions will be marked using the Greek alphabet
7. Proposals and Votes are unlimited. Please don't abuse this.
8. Each proposal that doesn't follow these rules will be terminated with extreme prejudice.
Example: 1. I propose we mount lasers on sharks
                         1920:1 Seeing as the project wasn't finished last year due to a shark shortage, I propose we continue with mutated Sea Bass

1: All rules for proposals apply except the following.
2: Modifications to proposals will have a number in the format of proposal.sub-proposal.
3: A modification may be supportive (default) or a counter (must be explicit).
4: You can vote for a Proposal and it's supportive subproposal, but not for a proposal and it's counter subproposal.
1.1 I think we should go all the way and mount the National Ignition Facility on the head of a sharkasourus.
1.2 I counter propose that we should instead create lasers that shoot beams composed of sharks.

Format for votes
1: you must specify the proposal number explicitly.
2: you must use the word vote.
3: Each user should make all of their votes with one post if possible
4. You should edit in your vote into the proposal tracker (template below). Always use the latest quoted example.

Spoiler: Proposal tracker (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:01:47 am by 10ebbor10 »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2020]
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:44:39 am »

I am so in. Waitying for a few other "Ins" before getting vocal though.
This is a blank sig.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:04:47 am »

im in too.
A standardized machine gun any one?

Im thinking of 15mm mini rockets, fired with a small primary charge to bring the Muzzle velocity up yo above the speed of sound.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:09:10 am »

Spoiler: Designs of 2020 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Designs of 2021 (click to show/hide)

Turn 2022

Spoiler: Designs of 2022 (click to show/hide)

Designs of 2033
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:53:21 pm by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 11:09:30 am »

Reserved.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 11:11:24 am »

I hope I do this right...

Proposal 1: I propose we make a standardized Assault rifle for our ground troops. 5.56X45, select fire, and based off of the Kalashnikov design. Medium

Machine guns make poor infantry weapons, and worse peacekeepers. Especially when they are not standardized. Making an assault rifle fit for our troops would increase the power of our infantry substantially, while allowing them to perform activities of a "peacekeeper" more easily. Starting to standardize our infantry weapons to 5.56X45 would allow much easier logistics, something I am sure we are in dire need of.

Proposal 2: I propose we create a standardized side arm for our military forces. 11.43×23mm (.45 ACP) based of the M1911. Small

Like my first proposal, combat knives are useless as infantry weapons and worse as peacekeepers. Having a standardized side arm would allow all of our military forces to defend themselves better, even the air force needs sidearms, after all.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:37:06 am by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 11:17:53 am »

In, I even had an idea for a small project we can do that'll add some firepower to our forces.

3)Small Project:Begin designing a man-portable mortar, around 81mm in barrel diameter, with standard HE shells. This should be as idiotproof as possible, and easy to maintain.

4)medium/large project:BMPs are well and good, but we'll definitely need actual tanks. Design the Badger tank with the design parameters of reasonably fast offroad speed, a 120mm gun, and armor capable of taking a hit or two from most contemporary tanks.

Also, since we had similar ideas, I vote  for proposal 1(you beat me to a Kalisnakov clone :P)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:20:40 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 11:23:26 am »

I don't have any proposals right now, but... it's Kalashnikov, not Kalisnakov.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 11:26:55 am »

Proposal 1: I propose we make a standardized Assault rifle for our ground troops. 5.56X45, select fire, and based off of the Kalisnakov design. Medium

IT's 2020 let's not just start makeing an old ak for 1995 to fire ammo from the 1950's.
Not that a full size Assault rifle with normal lay out is a bad idea it the we should brake from the past.

Proposal 2: I propose we create a standardized side arm for our military forces. 11.43×23mm (.45 ACP) based of the M1911. Small
we up date a gun from 1911? useing the same ammo? what are we going to get from that?

Lets have new ammo and a bit of a change, say we put the magazine in front of the trigger then it can use bigger magazines and have better grips.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 11:28:43 am »

Proposal 1: I propose we make a standardized Assault rifle for our ground troops. 5.56X45, select fire, and based off of the Kalashnikov design. Medium

I Vote for both of these.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 11:35:32 am »

IT's 2020 let's not just start makeing an old ak for 1995 to fire ammo from the 1950's.
Not that a full size Assault rifle with normal lay out is a bad idea it the we should brake from the past.

The AK design is cheap and reliable, making it great for poorly trained troops like we have. 5.56X45 is an intermediate charge, (.223 inches) not full size. It is what all modern, western assault rifles use. Like the M4. Besides, the AK design has been around long enough, it isn't going anywhere in 6 years.

we up date a gun from 1911? useing the same ammo? what are we going to get from that?

Lets have new ammo and a bit of a change, say we put the magazine in front of the trigger then it can use bigger magazines and have better grips.

No need to reinvent the wheel. We don't need better magazines or better grips, it needs to take up as little space as possible. Putting the magazine in the grip takes up significantly less space. If you are using a pistol in non-peace keeping combat, you are already in trouble. Making the magazine like that significantly increases the size of the gun, and makes pistol holsters impossible. You might as well just go for a submachine gun if you are doing that.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Khaiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 11:37:19 am »

Proposal 1: I propose we make a standardized Assault rifle for our ground troops. 5.56X45, select fire, and based off of the Kalisnakov design. Medium
Proposal 1. Sub-proposal 1: I propose we design the weapon to come with a small accesory kit (telescopic sight, different barrels, etc) so that non specialized infantry units have a a certain degree of tactical variety.

Btw, the M1911 is the standard side arm for many modern armies today. Just because it's old it doesn't mean it's bad. As for the AK 47, it's actually one of the best assault rifles in the market (incredibly cheap, simple to use, almost impossible to malfunction and quite better that the M16 and it's derivates), specially for an army fighting an open war. Fancy FAMAS and H&K are good when you got everyday access to repair parts, but not so good if you are fighting almost 24/7

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 11:38:03 am »

Proposal 1.1 Instead of using the 5.56mm, up the calibre of the rifle to 6.8mm offering better accuracy and far more lethal wounding. Also make the design in a bullpup configuration to make it better suited for CQC without sacrificing range or any other aspect.

Proposal A Rather than developing our own sidearm, purchase a production license off another nation to produce one of their models instead

Spoiler: Proposal Tracking (click to show/hide)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 11:38:40 am »

My own starting proposals. Until we can get heavier dedicated weapons on the filed, we need to be flexible and adaptable, and improve our ability to hurt enemy high value assets.

Proposal 5 (Medium): Multi role man portable fire and forget missile system (MRMPFF). Standardised 140 mm diameter 1.2 metre length launch tube with integrated control unit, able to switch targeting functions based on warhead loaded into barrel.

5.1: Anti tank warhead for MRMPFF. Fast burning propellant charge (short to medium engagement range), hardened tip to pierce armour, HE charge to make a mess of vehicles. Guided to target via GPS location determined by and locked into control unit and sent to missile via short range microwave.

5.2: Anti personnel warhead for MRMPFF. Same fast burning propellant charge, but shrapnel/ball bearing plus incendiary style warhead to scatter projectiles in spread pattern to take down softer targets. Guided to target via GPS location determined by and locked into control unit and sent to missile via short range microwave.

5.3: Anti air warhead for MRMPFF. A greater quantity of slower burning propellant to increase range. Same hardened tip as AT warhead, but smaller HE charge to allow for more propellant and more complex on board guidance systems. Guided to target by thermal tracking of target from control unit, transmitted to missile by longer range microwave.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:42:52 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 11:39:53 am »

Another thing that came to mind:

Proposal Alpha:Organize a salvage party and investigate the destroyer partially blocking the harbor. If possible, try to refloat and bring it into the yard for reusage, if not just break it up for scrapmetal.

Edit:also, Taricus, it's actually a myth that the size of the bullet matters, it's where you aim it. Hit a guy in the neck and the base of the brain, and he's out just like that even if you use a .22 rimfire :P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:43:10 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29