Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: My parents are talking about putting the cat down.  (Read 15623 times)

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
My parents are talking about putting the cat down.
« on: October 05, 2014, 04:50:10 am »

My cat is about 17 years old.

She's the best behaved and best pet we've ever had, and she's in my bed with me right now. She sleeps with me every night.

Her only real problem is that she's throwing up a lot (every day in the mornings). It's just her food, and some hair. There's nothing discolored about it. This, of course, has lead her to lose weight.

I think my parents may be jumping the gun, especially because it's just my mom pushing for it and she's often unreasonable. I don't think the cat is in any pain. Sure she's old but you don't just throw things away when they become inconvenient. Then again, it might be my emotional response, but they haven't had a death sentence from the vet yet .... Last time they took her to the vet it was just because she was scratching too much and she got a cortisol shot. I don't think they've even brought up the puking thing.

I've done the simple google search stuff, but I don't know. It's hard to get things across on this one, or for me to explain it.

Does anybody have any experience with something similar? Thank you.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
Re: My parents are talking about putting the cat down.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:03:43 am »

I've had two cats put down. We hung on to both as long as we possibly could. One spent his last years incredibly thin because of a hyperactive thyroid and desires not to eat. The produced almost liquid ... waste for her last years. It was awful, but we put neither down before their time and I regret nothing. Go see a vet, perhaps. But don't let the cat go before her time. Even if you have to clean up the vomit and feed her extra yourself, when her time does come you will not regret it. I'd be crying now if it weren't for the fact there is currently a cat restricting my airflow.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 05:17:51 am »

Indeed. It's best to check with a vet before you jump to any conclusions.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 07:02:10 am »

17 years is a somewhat respectable age for a cat, but by far not really old yet., unless it's some genetically defunct thouroughbred. My dad's cat died at age 31. Hunted and roamed outside till age 30.
Throwing up, and some hairs does not sound at all like a reason to put it down. At least not without a vet agreeing on it. Throwing up hairballs every once in a while is quite normal behaviour, moreso if there's a season change and the cat is changing fur (cats change coat twice a year, at least in countires that have distinct summer and winter). If it keeps doing it every day though, it is something to report to the vet and have a look at. But put down? Geesh no. Ask your mom if she is okay with you putting her down as soon as she gets the first signs of elderly inconvenience.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:09:04 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 02:39:20 pm »

Does anybody have any experience with something similar?

In my experience, cats know when they're going to die, and take care of it themselves. They find an out of the way place where they expect that you won't find the body and then they die. I've lived with half a dozen different cats. Not one of them has ever died inside the house. They just disappear one day, maybe you wonder how or why or if a coyote ate them, and then maybe you find the body completely uneaten half a block down the street in the bushes. Or maybe you don't.

If your cat is ready to die, she'll take care of it herself. There's no need to push her.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 02:50:32 pm »

17 years is a somewhat respectable age for a cat, but by far not really old yet., unless it's some genetically defunct thouroughbred.

I've known a couple cats who made it to 19-20, but 14-17 seems to be more common. Depends on the breed, I think. Calicos don't usually seem to live as long as most others I've known, for instance.

My dad's cat died at age 31. Hunted and roamed outside till age 30.

Contact Guinness.

Anyway, OP: by all means, talk to a vet like others are suggesting. Talk to your cat, even. Animals are smarter than people sometimes give them credit for. Don't let them kill her unless you're sure it's what she wants.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 06:52:35 pm »

Yeah can I +1 the suggestion to tell your mother you'll put her down if she gets sick after 70?

I'm only half-joking. Agree with the others, take you cat to the vet and let someone who actually trained for this give you an opinion.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 08:43:19 pm »

Thank you all so much. This whole thing is kind of a nightmare.

Dad has agreed that the cat will certainly see the vet.

Currently, the cat sleeps on my bed most of the time, so she's not isolating herself, and she will sometimes sit on my lap when I'm in the chair in my room. She pulls that bit where she paws me for attention, etc. We had another cat try to isolate itself years ago; that one hid behind the drier in the end (thankfully an isolated experience that hopefully won't repeat). Point being, this one is doing fine and sleeps with me every night.

My mom and dad want to limit the amount of food the cat is given because she keeps throwing up. As a result she's lost weight.... I get that they don't want to just give her more if she's going to puke it back up, but that weight loss.... [sigh]. Counterproductive? My dad has also said he thinks the cat is "choking" because he heard her make sounds when she was throwing up. I'm betting this was merely that not so nice sound cats always make when they cough up a furball/throw up.

The cat is being more attentive to me lately for some reason. She didn't always lay on my bed all the time, but I am the one feeding her so.... She seems sick for sure, but near death? I don't know and I hope not.

Mom is primarily upset with the fact that the cat pukes. Additionally the cat won't eat food unless it is "freshly placed" in he bowl. I imagine it's the smell. Mom started feeding her some kind of "natural" cat food for senior cats. Who knows what that really is....
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:59:41 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 09:17:03 pm »

Only eating "fresh" food is a cat thing. When they get hungry, they'll eat the rest, don't fret over it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »

The cat is being more attentive to me lately for some reason.

You're the one standing between her and being murdered.

Like I said, animals are smarter than people give them credit for.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 09:53:41 pm »

Yeah....

I'm afraid she does know something is wrong with her though. She's having quite a time keeping food down.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 11:28:44 pm »

My dad's cat died at age 31. Hunted and roamed outside till age 30.
Contact Guinness.
The link says 38 years and 3 days is the record for dead cats.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 01:12:52 am »

The link says 38 years and 3 days is the record for dead cats.

...ahh. I misread it. Ok.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 05:01:02 am »

Good thing your dad decided to take it to the vet. If it's losing weight, then indeed something is not quite right. Unless your mom *really* gives it too little food.
I hope the vet can fix her up mate. She might just have some kind of cat stomach flu, or Feline Parvo Virus (although that mostly infects kittens, adults are less susceptible).
Let us know what happened.

EDIT: on the topic of cat losing weight: most housecats are too fat. To stay healthy, cats need to be somewhat lean, and muscular, not chubby.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:04:53 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 11:07:22 pm »

Thank you for your help and concern.

So far they've piped down about putting the cat out of its misery (I don't see any misery), but have yet to schedule a vet appointment for her.... I'm hoping that happens soon.

Additionally, they have insisted on feeding her VERY small amounts of cat food so she, in their minds, is less likely to throw up. The cat does not enjoy this one bit and she's constantly meowing for more food. I guess we'll see if this approach works tomorrow morning, but yeah....

I want to feed my skinny cat MORE, but it seems she can't keep it down? Hum.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6