Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: My parents are talking about putting the cat down.  (Read 15622 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: My parents are talking about putting the cat down.
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 11:08:09 am »

I am sorry if I sound rude, but tell your parents 'FUCK YOU' for me, please.
Something like 'hey mom and dad, don't get mad at me, I'm just the messenger, but some random internet dude wanted me to tell you FUCK YOU". Please.

I am sick and tired of people having pets, but as soon as they have to make even minor costs of having a checkup done, they instead rather let the pet die.

That aside, glad to hear some positive development. Hope it keeps improving.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:15:26 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 11:45:02 am »

Glad to hear she's getting better, but I echo martinuzz's sentiments. Too many people are unwilling to make even the first payment.
Still, good news is good. Say hi to her for me.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 06:12:19 am »

Mom is primarily upset with the fact that the cat pukes.

Mom started feeding her some kind of "natural" cat food for senior cats. Who knows what that really is....

Noticed this:

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_Vomiting_Acute

"CAUSES
 Some possible risk factors include:
 * Changes in the diet"

* Allergic reaction to a particular food

But if she's really concerned about the vomiting, you might point out that taking her to the vet would be a good way to get her to stop.

Also:

eating grass

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/why-do-cats-eat-grass.html

"theorize that cats eat grass as a natural laxative. It may add fiber and bulk to their diet, helping them pass worms or fur through their intestinal tract."

vomiting

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_Vomiting_Acute

"CAUSES
 * Intestinal parasites (worms)"

I see de-worming tablets at PetCO for $13. That might be worth trying it visiting a vet isn't an option.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 11:26:21 am »

If she's eating grass, that could well cause vomiting. A lot of grasses are gut irritants, which (certainly in humans) the body deals with by vomiting.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2014, 11:49:08 am »

They think there's no hope for her..... :(

In my country (the Netherlands), your parents could be arrested and face 2 years jailtime (max) for serious pet neglect, for not taking an obviously sick cat to the vet (,plus, trying to starve it to death, which could be seen by a judge as abuse). I don't know how old you are, but I'd strongly suggest you ignore your parents, and take the cat to the vet yourself.

Very simple basic rule with cats: If it WANTS TO EAT, it WANTS TO CONTINUE LIVING

what the fuck, upto 2 years jail time for pet neglect? really hollandia, really?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 03:04:39 pm »

Well, 2 years max. It used to be 1 year, but I recall our somewhat recent 'Party for Animals' managing to get that max sentence upped to two years.

Max sentence would probably only be ruled in extreme cases of neglect though, like a 'professional' breeder losing whole nests of puppies to neglect. The OP's parents would most likely face just a fine of a few 100 euros, confiscation of the animals, and life long prohibition to own animals. They would get a criminal record though, since animal abuse and neglect are classified as criminal offense.

About grass: cats indeed use it as a natural stimulant to help them throw up. This is quite normal if it involves spitting up the occasional hairball when changing furs, or a sign of stomach uneasiness otherwise.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:08:22 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 04:01:15 pm »

Going to assume you don't have a lot of spending money either.  Cause you could probably get a taxi to take you if your parents ain't gonna bother.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 09:51:34 pm »

So, good news on the cat, in the last four or five days, she's only thrown up once. I've been feeding her only about 7 or 8 pieces of dried cat food at a time, but several times a day. She's started to regain some weight and isn't as skinny as before. She still has a way to go, but it's a start. I think feeding her many small meals a day is the right approach because it lets her keep her food down. I could feed her normally, but then she's just gonna throw it all up and she'd get nothing out of it. The result is a cat that constantly wants more food but this way she's able to keep her food down and actually digest it to get some nutrients out of it.

Special thank you to Lord Bucket. Your stuff was very helpful and informative. I'll make sure to keep that in mind for when I can eventually take her to the vet. I told my cat about you and she said meow. I can only assume this either means "thank you" or "feed me more!" Both?

Zangi, it isn't about the transportation, though that would be a pain too, but rather about the vet bill and any medications needed. Eventually, my parents will take her to the vet. I just have to hold out until then and keep her as healthy as possible.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 03:18:02 am »

By the way, a little thing :
Cats can "normally" handle their meals all along the day.

When brought up with food always available (and a little help), they learn to eat only when hungry instead of at fixed hours. It's clearly not something you want to try with a cat who learnt to eat everything you offer to him 2-3 times a day, but feeding him several times a day isn't bad for him :)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 04:15:51 am »

A vet basic checkup should not cost more than 20-30 USD. A de-worming fix (which you really should do at least once a year, for any cat) maybe 5 USD.
Last time one of my cats needed antibiotics, they cost me 5 euros (yes, I was surprised it was that cheap too). Say 7.50 USD. I can't imagine vet prices differing really that much between Netherlands and US. Probably cheaper, considering a lot of veterinarian medicine over here are imported from US pharmaceutical companies.

If you parents cannot afford to spend 25, maybe 50 dollars once, when a pet needs a checkup, they should not have gotten a pet in the first place.

Oh, and I am sorry for asking you to be rude to your parents before. I shouldn't have, really. It was my primal reaction of frustration over abovementioned situation applying for too many people.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:22:52 am by martinuzz »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 04:25:52 am »

Special thank you to Lord Bucket.

I told my cat about you and she said meow.

=(^_^)=

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 02:40:14 pm »

Don't forget the role stress can have in health for both us and animals. Your cat is lucky to have you looking out for her.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2014, 12:35:58 pm »

Well, I know nothing about cats, but I know a bunch about my family's dealing with our two dogs.  Including my self.  It is pretty depressing.  I'd like to say I'm the one who knows the most about them.  Border collie mix.  My mother calls her neurotic, I call her a border collie. 

Whenever she gets slightly moody, my mom puts her outside.  I consider this as giving up on a problem that should be solved with logic.  I decided to go out with her.  She now trusts me, and yeah.  Problem was she wasn't drinking her water, because she had found a "better" substitute.  You don't want to know what she found.  Started giving her cold water, and she's drinking it now, I think. 

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 02:13:51 am »

My dad's cat died at age 31. Hunted and roamed outside till age 30.

Contact Guinness.

"The oldest cat in history was a feline called Creme Puff who was born on 3 August 1967 and lived until 6 August 2005 - an amazing 38 years and 3 days." - that article you linked.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 02:54:49 am »

My dad's cat died at age 31. Hunted and roamed outside till age 30.

Contact Guinness.

"The oldest cat in history was a feline called Creme Puff who was born on 3 August 1967 and lived until 6 August 2005 - an amazing 38 years and 3 days." - that article you linked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6