Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22

Author Topic: 13th Age: End of an Era - Chapter 1: The High Druid  (Read 19256 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: 13th Age: End of an Era - Prologue: The Siege of Horizon
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2015, 03:39:01 pm »

Taking it to be some form of ritual, Ethnon pretends to blow chunks with the best of them, though it looks a little like shallow mockery to the unenlightened observer.

"Ahu! Aha! Ethnon helped!"

Examine Davora. Never seen somebody injured quite like that! What did our friend Skaal's weapon do to him, exactly? Did the lance hit the joint? How much tissue's been ripped?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:00:54 pm by Harry Baldman »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2015, 03:42:35 pm »

Katoya finishes relieving herself of the last of her breakfast.

"...I know a bit of first aid...we need to call a healer." She says, recalling bandaging up her own scrapes and cuts in the Legion, and when she was on the run. Not much good for battle wounds, however.

Still, she knows what she has to do. A shirt sleeve is a good trade for a mans life, and she wants him to live...

Action: Katoya tries to stem Davora's bleeding with a tourniquet, if that will help.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2015, 03:55:48 pm »

Alicia was slumped over on her knees, looking greener than usual.
"Gods help me..." she muttered, unconcerned with the world outside her own personal bubble of discomfort.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2015, 04:21:33 pm »

"Well, we can bloody well not just give up while he's still breathing. Someone get a medic!"
Duncan squats down to examine the solider, his metal eyebrows furrowing with worry. He had no idea what to do. Stop the bleeding? Clean out the wounds? Stitch closed the cut? He had to do something, but couldn't do anything.
Well, not exactly.
He was a con-man at heart. He could lie like a cat could kill rats. It was risky and would probably kill Devora, but if he could lie to the universe... just until a medic arrives...
He steps back to allow Katoya to work, but a tourniquet might not be enough...
Duncan lets out a hollow sigh. He better not. He couldn't fake it convincingly.
But he had to do something.
Well, he had sold 'medicine' often. His work with the alchemists who had made his 'medicine' must have worn off.
Screw it. He had to do something.
Try and bluff medical care.
"Right! Let's get him off the ground. Kyle, grab a bed, table, crate, I don't care! Alicia, find some cloth! We need to stem the bleeding, and Katoya's shirt sleeve won't do for long! Katoya, try and keep pressure on the wound! Ethnon, do what you can to help him!"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2015, 04:36:40 pm »

"Do... what I can... to help him? Hm!"

Try a Cantrip-style remix (Cantrip Mastery, aw yeah!) of my Enlightened Eyes of Ezamfoth on the wound to cool it off and decrease the flow of blood! Sounds legit, right? Failing that, wonder if the Mending cantrip might apply to keeping pressure on a shoulder wound and preventing undue blood loss. A human body is not unlike an object, is it? If it seems like it might work, try it!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:47:51 pm by Harry Baldman »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 02, 2015, 05:01:24 pm »

Ethnon
You know a bit of anatomy from your days in the Abyss, so you try to assess the captain's wounds.
[[Roll: INT + Thing from the Far Beyond (2+9)]]
Well, as it turns out, picking flesh apart is not the same as putting it back together. [Negative 6 with The High Druid] You do notice something utterly unnatural about the lance, however. The bloodlike spirals up the weapon's length are actually pure Pain Essence. Anyone stabbed with the lance will be wracked with debilitating pain until it is removed. You do so immediately and drop the large and unwieldy weapon again with a clatter, allowing the pretty elf to look at the wound.

Katoya
You know a bit about field medicine from your army days, and although the wound is in an awkward place for a tourniquet, you can still try to do something to stop the bleeding, but it'll take quick hands.
[[ROLL: DEX + Imperial Bannerwoman (12+6)]]
You take a knife and cut the straps of his armor off him, the back plate being the hardest to remove as the metal has caved into the wound. Taking a closer look at the wound, you gag and find yourself thankful your stomach was already empty. The shoulder is absolutely destroyed. Even if it heals completely, he'll never swing a sword again.  You cut off his underclothing and wrap it tightly around the wound, staunching some of the bleeding. He's fading fast, though, and if you don't get him to a healer, he'll be dead from blood loss in the next 10 minutes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2015, 05:08:27 pm »

"Mm. Such a weapon! It shoots pain straight into the bloodstream, Ethnon thinks!"

Appreciate lance. Is it light enough for me to carry around? Does it hurt to have it in my hands?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2015, 05:18:26 pm »

Ethnon
It's large, heavy, and made of Abyssal Steel. Not the most well-forged, but it seemed to suit Skaal's proportions. You are not quite as big him, though. You could probably reforge it into a staff of some fashion, but it would lose its sharpness and some of its enchantment's potency.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2015, 05:21:08 pm »

Katoya had done all she could. It was a sick feeling to have.

"Someone get a healer! He doesn't have long! We can't risk moving him...somebody, anybody, everybody! Go, run!"

All she could do now was hold his hand while he died, and keep the pressure on the wound...she hadn't received a vision of his death yet, so she knew there was still some hope. If a small hope. She spoke to him quietly, hoping her voice might have some effect.

She hadn't spoken to Captain Davora much before the battle. If he gave her a second glance, she didn't notice. But, now Katoya realized she was quite literally his only link to life-her breath on his face, her hands keeping his lifeblood in his body. It was a heavy feeling. She wondered how healers did things like this all the time.

"...You can come back...don't let go...I'm here for you...it's going to be alright...we won the battle...you won the battle...you did your duty, but it's not time to rest..." She tried not to let her feelings of hopelessness get into her words.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2015, 05:30:04 pm »

"Somebody get a healer! City is full of mages! Ethnon cannot help in this directly!"

He looks at the mage lady, the Lady Arweth.

"You there! Person that Ethnon helped! Go get someone helpful! Healer, yes! Teleport somewhere! Teleport someone in! Use mind to talk to someone, mayhap? Use potion? Something!" he says in a shrill, slightly commanding tone before returning to quiet appreciation of the lance.

Command the supremely competent magelord to do something about this troubling matter in order to avoid bystander effect. Then return to looking at the lance.

Could this lance maybe be reforged into several sharp daggers? Three to six, let's say. How would this affect the enchantment?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 05:32:44 pm by Harry Baldman »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2015, 05:55:47 pm »

"He's dead. Even if he isn't then he's not going to be much use with one arm. Unless he gets really lucky he's boned one way or another."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2015, 05:59:05 pm »

"He's dead. Even if he isn't then he's not going to be much use with one arm. Unless he gets really lucky he's boned one way or another."

Katoya is angered by his words.

"He's NOT dead. Not yet! He's not going to die...because...I haven't seen him die...He can make it, if someone gets a healer. Please? Even if you think it's pointless, what's the harm in humoring me?" She says, bitterly.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2015, 06:00:51 pm »

Kyle shrugs before turning to go look for... really anyone who can fix the dude.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2015, 03:44:06 pm »

Ethnon
Arweth looks ill. "Oh gods... All that blood... I'm gonn-" Immediately, she evacuates the contents of her stomach. What a strange ritual. The lance in your hands is at the forefront of your thoughts, however. You suppose it could be made into daggers, but making them that small would lose most of the effect of the enchantment.

The way you see it, you would have three options:
A) You could keep the lance as-is. It would be extremely heavy and difficult to wield, but it would stop most things in their tracks. (Item power: 1x/day melee vs AC, target takes 1d10 damage and is Stunned until save ends.)
B) You could reforge it into a staff. The enchantment would lend itself to magical abilities channeled through it. (Passive +2 to all magic ToHit.)
C) You could reforge it into three daggers, which would be heavy, but useful for throwing and dazing enemies. (Item power: 3x/day close vs PD, target takes 1d6 damage and is Dazed until save ends.)

Kyle & Katoya
Just as Kyle turns to find a healer, already there are a pair of people bounding up in healer's robes. They kneel beside the captain, checking his wounds and taking over for Kat, whom they thank for being quick on her feet. They manage to staunch most of the bleeding before loading him into a padded handcart and wheeling him off. Once they disappear around the corner, you are left with a large pool of blood, which the unrelenting rain refuses to wash away, and a broken and battered breastplate along with an equally unserviceable backplate.

Everyone
The night is still only less than half over. You are all fairly exhausted, and it would be a good idea to rest, and maybe check on Davora in the morning. You can see no sign of Skaal returning, and the heavy rain shows no sign of relenting any time soon.
(Resting now will provide a full heal and a level up, but it's your choice if you want to stick around.)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2015, 04:00:33 pm »

"Seems business is over. Ethnon shall return. Nobody go anywhere where Ethnon cannot find you."

If Lady Arweth has completed her alarm rituals, ask her for advice on where I could get someone to reforge this lance into a handy staff. Preferably a friendly-looking sort of staff, with as little menace to it as possible. Maybe with a stylized representation of the typically compound Eye of Ezamfoth depicted at the top.

Then, if I can get the arrangements in order at no significant expense (have it be a reward of sorts in lieu of, say, gold), rest! And level up!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22