Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

Author Topic: 13th Age: End of an Era - Chapter 1: The High Druid  (Read 19279 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: 13th Age: End of an Era - Prologue: The Siege of Horizon
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2014, 04:13:57 pm »

Ethnon goes completely expressionless once more as he notices the guards.

"I am..." he begins as he tries to find the right words. "Warding, yes? Against demons. Ethnon is helping!"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »

"I-is he unkillable?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2014, 01:20:50 pm »

"Does he have bones?"
"We don't know."
"I-is he unkillable?"
"We don't know that either... Librarian!"
The golem librarian lights up. "[YES] [LADY ARWETH]"
"Show everything we've learned about Skaal so far."
The librarian's head lights up with a very short list of facts.
  • Leads army of undead and demons.
  • Insectoid in nature.
  • Feeds on the flesh of fallen soldiers.
  • Impervious to conventional weaponry and most magic.
  • Despises the Archmage.
"That's it. That's all we know. That and he talks in the third person."

Ethnon
The soldiers look at each other and back to you. "...And who are you helping?"

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2014, 01:32:32 pm »

"Then we should get a really big fly swatter!"
Kyle yells with full confidence.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2014, 01:32:58 pm »

"Everyone in Horizon, probably. All of humanity, elfity, dwarfity, gnomity and any other desirable plurality, possibly. Hard to name specifics, you understand. But I am helping, this I am sure of. I am Ethnon."

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2014, 09:06:34 pm »

Maruko looks around at the soldiers and shakes his head in disappointment. Finding a high place from which he might speak, he clears his throat and practically bellows, casting his voice to be heard by all of them.

"Who are you? I ask again, who are you? Are you soldiers? Are you men, defending their homes with steel and stone? Or are you cowards, to let the demons trample over you without being given the slightest delay?"

He lets the words sink for a moment before continuing.

"I will fight tonight, as I once did for the Dwarf-King. I hope to die a glorious death in battle, worthy of honour and praise by my ancestors. I always do! But more, I seek to die alongside valiant comrades, who might be so worthy themselves of honour that I am as far below them as a demon is below me! Will you be those fighters? Will you fight with honor and courage, and drive these demons back from your doorstep alongside your kin and countrymen?"

The dwarf pauses to observe their reaction this time, continuing, this time more somberly.

"You have lost those you care for deeply. Everyone here has. What will you do to honor their memory, and avenge their loss? What will you do that gives their deaths, and their lives, meaning? Will you lay down and die like dogs? Or will you show what your true self is made of, and pay the demons back tenfold for every blow they've given?"

"I tell you now that we have no need for mage assistance. To be sure, their help is a great boon. But it is no more necessary than a helm, or a wrist-strap! We have good steel, strong wills, and the heart to make use of both! If they wish to leave, to evacuate and abandon their homes, let them! I say that it gives us that much more opportunity to show just what we think of demons, and allows us that much more vengeance upon them!"

Finally, he seems almost humorous with the last portion of his mini-speech, before building up into a thunderous roar.

"And of the demons themselves...they are strong foes, that is to be sure...but we can be equally sure of the reason. These demons are far from the place they call home; they long for it, and see us as the only method to get there..."

His grin is a predatory smile, a triumphant and expectant face of glory and of a man who expects his foe to throw himself onto his sword without the slightest resistance.

"These demons wish to return to the Hells! Let us have the courtesy to send them there!"

As (hopefully) a vengeful cheer rose up from the gathered crowd, he lifted his fist, sword in hand, to try and emphasize the statement.

He had no true idea whether the ideals and speeches that would be made to a crowd of dwarven warriors would work well for human ones...he could only hope so...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:17:45 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2014, 05:47:24 pm »

Maruko
Throughout your speech, soldiers begin to stand and gather around you. As you finish, they all roar triumphantly, picking up their weapons and pumping them in the air. Through a hole in the wall, you see the skies darken, and an army come out from the tree line, as a large ball of fire soars overhead and chittering screeches fill the air.

Ethnon
The soldiers look confused, and are about to ask you more questions before they notice a large ball of fire soaring overhead, which is then intercepted by a bolt of lightning from the Archmage's tower. It explodes, showering the area in scalding flame and sparks. The soldiers shout and turn to run to their posts, leaving you alone on the bridge once more.

Everyone
The ground shakes as a horrible shriek comes from beyond the western wall. It seems the demon horde has arrived early. Davora will want to see you to strategize, unless you feel you have something more pressing to do.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2014, 05:54:51 pm »

Kyle runs to find Davora.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2014, 07:10:45 pm »

"It seems they have come to hear me as well, and must certainly be overjoyed to know their fates! But I must stop; I have talked too long already, and there is fighting to be had! To your stations, brave warriors!"

The dwarf himself, after calling this out, jumps down and hesitates, clearly wanting to go to the wall and fight alongside the men. But Davora would want to see him, and the dwarf's experience could be useful...

Cursing, he runs towards Davora's tower, attaching the armor mask as he does so. It is meant to make him look fearsome and powerful, as well as protect his face, and has a false beard, as to display the real one in combat is the act of a fool and a suicide.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2014, 01:45:19 am »

"Have fun!" Ethnon says at the guards as they run off.

Now, where was I? Ah, yes! The other wards. Do them!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2014, 07:40:37 pm »

At the shriek, Alicia's stomach dropped. She put a hand against the table to steady herself. Her lizard tried to bury itself in her hair.

"It..." her mouth was dry, and she swallowed before she tried again. A hand played with one of her horns. "I-It sounds like it's starting. W-we should go out there and help."
Her tone was clear it was the least thing she wanted to do, but she nonetheless forced herself to head towards the walls. She had to do something.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2014, 11:56:06 am »

Kyle runs to find Davora.

Follow exuberantly!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2014, 04:26:31 pm »

Ethnon
Time is of the essence, so you hurry to the other ward locations.
[ROLL: INT + Thing From the Far Beyond (17)]
The other wards are a little sloppy. Not your best work, but you're working under pressure now. Getting across the city, you've noticed, never seems to take all that much time. It's almost as if your need to get to each location is causing the city itself to help you out. You decide not to look a gift horse in the mouth and continue with your work, and before long, you're done. The last thing to do now would be to attune the center ward to the outer wards. In hindsight, you wonder if maybe you should have set up the center ward first...

Everyone else
You all arrive at Davora's strategy table at about the same time. He seems to have added some chess pieces to the map, showing the locations of Imperial soldiers in white and demons in black.
"Ah, mercenaries. I've been expecting you. Where's that strange elf that appeared moments ago? Ah, no matter. I need you all to do something for me." He points at a location on the map, "This is a sluice gate we use to get clean water into the city. Unfortunately, it is our weakest point, and Skaal knows it now. This is going to be the first thing to go when they hit the walls. Despite popular belief, wading through half a meter of water is not going to stop a demon." The ground shakes. Dust falls from the ceiling of the small room as more shrieks fill the air, "I need you down there to intercept the first wave. I'll be accompanying you. Skaal's not an idiot. He's not going to throw his strongest troops at us first; He's going to try and wear us down. Make sure you save your strength for the rest of the night." Again the ground shakes, and the thunder of distant explosions can be heard. "If you have any questions, make them quick!"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2014, 04:28:23 pm »

"Oh, rats and hamsters. This inefficiency is unfortunate."

Perform attunement of central ward. Time's a wastin'!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22