Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lasic eye surgery  (Read 2284 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Lasic eye surgery
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 02:12:00 pm »

Contacts are always irritating for the first few days that you wear them.
And glasses don't suck.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 02:14:42 pm »

My glasses suck

And I've been wearing contacts for over a year now and they still irritate my eyes ever so often
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 02:18:09 pm »

I know someone who's had laser eye surgery done (not sure which type) and she swears by it.  Apparently it nerfed her nightvision though.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 02:18:50 pm »

Yeah, IIRC surgery only last for 10 years or so. If you want to be a pilot, sure, go for it though. Just consider it as part of your tuition or something.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 02:22:08 pm »

If you are really thinking about doing this because of a job, I strongly suggest you get some information in recruiting center or whatever official service you have over there that takes care of navy pilot job applications.

I don't wanna scare you or make you drop your dream. And what I'll tell you might not be applicable to your case because I do not live in USA (as you do, I assume?)
But when I asked an official army doctor in recruiting center in my country about laser eye surgery they told me even if you do surgery they still have to check your eyes because the surgery does not necessary make your eye 100% cured, even if it does make you see perfectly. That means, even with eye surgery being done they still can refuse you on the grounds of having bad eyes.

Also, contacts rock. But it really depends on the contacts brand. Not all are the same, even if they are soft contacts. Some have bigger % of water, some use different base material etc. If contacts are bothering you, there are many different reasons why that's the case - you are taking them out/putting them in in the wrong way, damaging the contact in the process without you knowing it (happened to me when I started wearing them) or maybe the curving isn't right or maybe the material, as mentioned.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 02:25:12 pm »

Oh god no, I don't really want to be a pilot. I was just saying a job I wouldn't mind doing that would require 20/20. I'd just get the surgery cause I hate eye ware

Though I haven't tried hard contacts yet

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 02:39:54 pm »

From what I've learned from my family it works, though it's pretty expensive as well as potentially being somewhat painful and requiring you to not rub your eyes for a fair amount of time after the surgery.

Personally my brother was in a thing where his eyes were too bad to join the Navy, but had he gotten surgery they would have allowed him in just fine. However in his case it actually turned out that his eyes were too bad for lasic, so he ended up needing to do a bit of a career goal change. Also I'd like to note that you need to be at least 18 before you are allowed to have lasic. Even with parental permission you aren't allowed to get it until over that age, something about the development of your body IIRC.

For hard vs. soft contacts I find that hard contacts tend to feel more uncomfortable at first compared to soft contacts, but after a while you get used to them. They also require a fair bit more cleaning then the soft disposable contacts you are probably used to since you don't get to throw them away when you are done.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 02:46:55 pm »

I wouldn't mind the extra cleaning for hard contacts. And I wasn't planning on lasic till after I was like 21. Also not sure if I can get lasic with my eye problem in my left eye, what did they call it? Astigmatism?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 02:50:21 pm »

Apparently astigmatism is one of the things it can be used to correct.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 03:02:58 pm »

Apparently astigmatism is one of the things it can be used to correct.
Unless it's really, really bad.

Granted, what I've got isn't quite the same as an astigmatism, but it's close enough.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 03:13:43 pm »

Is lasic eye surgery a good idea? What are the side effects? Anybody ever had it done? If so how well does it work?
Yessir I've done it. I performed it not once, not twice, but thrice on my cat. It works extremely well providing you disable your cat's motoric reflexes before the procedure. From my experience percussive anesthesia is the best way to go. Use a rubber hammer, though. Again, experience, if you get my drift. Also, it has almost no side effects apart from making the eye less lasic.
Im my professional opinion, it's the best idea ever.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 03:49:22 pm »

Navy Pilot

US milltary no longer requires 20/20 vision for pilots. Haven't since at least the 90s. They need to be correctable to 20/20.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/pilotvision.htm

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 04:14:02 pm »

Is lasic eye surgery a good idea? What are the side effects? Anybody ever had it done? If so how well does it work?
Yessir I've done it. I performed it not once, not twice, but thrice on my cat. It works extremely well providing you disable your cat's motoric reflexes before the procedure. From my experience percussive anesthesia is the best way to go. Use a rubber hammer, though. Again, experience, if you get my drift. Also, it has almost no side effects apart from making the eye less lasic.
Im my professional opinion, it's the best idea ever.

Hah
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 04:17:36 pm »

Navy Pilot

US milltary no longer requires 20/20 vision for pilots. Haven't since at least the 90s. They need to be correctable to 20/20.

Oh cewl

Though I'm probs just gonna get a navy engineering job, if I join the service. I'm thinking jet electrician or nuclear engineer

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 06:12:01 pm »

Navy Pilot

And certain types of vision disqualify you for flight jobs. If memory serves, anyone with Lasik gets a big no-no for helicopter work at the least.

Anyway, I got LASIK done awhile back and I'm more than happy with it. The pain isn't terrible if you get the full regimen of pain killers (although I got stuck doing it with two out of three, so that really sucked) and it wasn't that tough to deal with sunglasses for awhile. My eyes aren't completely repaired, but actual-seeing wise, I'm 20/20 now.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 [2] 3