Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40

Author Topic: Mission 16: Serial Experiments Skylar  (Read 77961 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 16: The Heat is on.
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2014, 02:51:23 pm »

Ulrich Leland. Location: At front of some store.

Confirmation: The bit between the bank and book&clothing stores is not an alley but actual west-east road?

Tick tock tick tock. Keep watching traffic while waiting for store to open. Is the basic structure of cars similiar as they are IRL, inflatable tires and all that? How about lighter and heavier vehicles (motorcycles, trucks)? Do they exist?
Buy two good laptops (or whatever passes as one around here), one for me, one for Skylar since he's with me. On return trip stop by the bookstore and buy a city map, tourist guide and some random book, preferrably one they are promoting.

Spoiler: Description (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stats & Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

The areas to the left and the right of the bank are roads. The areas between the other buildings and the bank itself, the horizontal spaces above and below the bank, are alleyways.

You already got the stuff, hence the talking about how you watched things while walking back to the apartment. You got the laptops and stuff already, I just glossed over it because it wasn't important.

Lots of alleys, but getting through them might be a bit of an issue if we don't clear our route beforehand. They also seem to have a fetish for stoplights, so that might make getting to anywhere slower than expected. I'll need a map...

Michael returns to the apartment to see if the computers have been bought. If so he helps set them up and connect to the local net to find a map of the city. If not, he grabs a bit of cash and goes out and buys a physical map from the nearest store that sells one. Can never have too many maps!
You have computers and wireless capacities, but no internet. You'd have to either buy an internet connection or hack into the connection of someone nearby and piggy back on theirs.

Edit: After we get the food and drinks, head back to the apartment. Lets use our clothing store front to get these clothes.

Lets see, one more high end clothing set, two sets of generic middle class, and two lower class sets for everyone. Coats, jackets, thats all good. Basically, give everyone a fairly wide and decent selection of clothes so that we can have, not exactly disguises, but different enough looks that, at least when we're out and about on the streets, we don't become too recognizable.

Bought. It will take a bit for it to get here though. It's being overnighted but it will still take till tomorrow.

D'usse rotated the magazine. "Hmm....is that....you do....ew...do guys even-?...."

D'usse checks the magazine to see if women can wear hats that cover the entire head, fitting snugly over the ears. If so, she goes to the Clothing store and purchases such a hat. Then get coffee and newspaper, sit down somewhere and look inconspicuous while observing the traffic in and out of the bank. See if I can spot the security measures from a distance.
You grab a fashionable hat from a clothing store and then come coffee and a newspaper from a nearby convenience store. The newspaper isn't paper, so much as some sort of smart plastic thing that displays the text across a sheet of clear material, changing like a LED screen whenever you pinch a corner of the sheet. It's nice, since you can stare right through it without looking suspicious. You find a Mass transport bench near enough to the bank to get a good look at it and settle down onto the uncomfortable concrete seat. You watch the comings and goings of the bank for much of the morning, slowly sipping through several cups of coffee and occasionally walking around the block to not seem too suspicious.

You can see three cameras on the bank's front side, two perched on the roof corners like watchful gargoyles and a third set into the arch above the main doorway, watching people come in and out. The bank employees seem to park down the road at a parking structure and then walk to the bank, entering through the side door rather then the front. The first arrives about an hour before the bank opens, with the majority arriving in the last 15 minutes before the doors open and several men in more fancy looking clothing arriving shortly after the doors open. The bank seems busiest at certain hours, specifically when people on the way to work go there, and when people at lunch go there. Between these rushes, it's relatively quiet.

You finish your last coffee and then walk off, taking a roundabout route back to the apartment and making sure to stay clear of the camera's sight as you enter.

Milno, Secondary Mission Control - Location: Cradle

How about chemicals to dissolve rock? And are these any good security measures the people here use to deal with dangerous chemicals?
Not sure what you mean by the second part, but dissolving rock is possible, though quite difficult. It would need a lot of the substance and somewhere to deposit the toxic rock chemical slurry it produces. Not to mention it won't work on all rock.

Ulrich Leland. Location: At front of some store.

Confirmation: The bit between the bank and book&clothing stores is not an alley but actual west-east road?

Tick tock tick tock. Keep watching traffic while waiting for store to open. Is the basic structure of cars similiar as they are IRL, inflatable tires and all that? How about lighter and heavier vehicles (motorcycles, trucks)? Do they exist?
Buy two good laptops (or whatever passes as one around here), one for me, one for Skylar since he's with me. On return trip stop by the bookstore and buy a city map, tourist guide and some random book, preferrably one they are promoting.

Continue wandering with Ulrich. Laptop get. Watch for public transit and public underground areas (subways, pedestrian tunnels) as we meander.

Also clarify 'notices', by which I mean things like no parking signs and posted temporary signs or fliers, especially on, around, or involving the bank.

There's a subway station a few blocks from the apartment and the bank, and a bus stop near the bank, on the apartment side of the street.

There aren't any flyers or signs which seem to relate to anything useful, unless you found a lost dog, were looking to learn guitar or want to come to a battle of the bands between two groups you've never heard of. There's lots of flyers and posters coating walls and light posts, but none of them seem useful to you.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2014, 03:13:37 pm »

((Hmm, the "walking back" part wasn't terribly clearly stated. Well whatever. Doesn't matter at this point.
Edit: Oh, I see it now. I interpreted that as walking back and forth while waiting...  ::)))
Ulrich Leland. Location: Apartment

Let's go and obtain fast internet connection. By legal means. From another shop.
Walk between the bank and other shops. Take a casual look at the whole northern wall for cameras, motion sensors and other assorted alert systems. More casual looks at the employee door (how strong it appears) and the lock, enough to discern type of key for it (code, card, other). Same for repository door. No stopping here for staring, just a casual walk by and casual glances around.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:21:19 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2014, 03:32:19 pm »

((You might want to start keeping notes somewhere, if you aren't already.

A very fun thing I've heard bank robbers do is find a way to repeatedly trigger the alarm system night after night, roughly around the same time. At some point they will either stop responding to the alarm or disable the offending sensor.

Also, PTW.))

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2014, 10:53:13 pm »

Accompany Ulrich in his quest for an internet connection
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2014, 02:26:59 am »

Go to the nearby bookstore and find a thick, moderately interesting book. Buy it, then head to a quiet cafe' near the bank. Get a newspaper and a coffee there. Sit in an out of the way spot and observe the bank with my cam-eyes while reading the newspaper and book. Just don't stay too long there for it to become suspicious.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2014, 10:40:35 pm »

By that I meant stuff like special hazmat suits and systems that apply the chemicals while depositting the resultant toxic goop somewhere else.

And what about chemicals that don't outright corrode, but can be used to make the thing brittle/easier to punch through?
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2014, 03:59:15 am »

Get out datapad, look for wireless signals reachable from the apartment. Note them down for future investigation.

Pack up a laptop, take it with me and walk to a cafe on the opposite side of the bank from the apartment. Pretend to be reading something off the datapad on the way, while noting strong signals as I pass the bank.

Buy something at the cafe and consume. If they have internet for customers, stay and lookup public information about the bank on the laptop. General stuff a new customer would want to know: reputation, services, pricing, etc. Otherwise, look for a nearby internet cafe to do the same thing. Head back to the apartment afterwards in any case.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2014, 09:20:58 am »

Record what I saw on my datapad.

Check out our apartment. What can I see through the windows? Do we have a balcony? Are we allowed on the roof? If so, go up there and check it out. What's visible from there? Is there a good spot for a high powered telescope or something of that sort?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2014, 01:48:40 pm »

((Hmm, the "walking back" part wasn't terribly clearly stated. Well whatever. Doesn't matter at this point.
Edit: Oh, I see it now. I interpreted that as walking back and forth while waiting...  ::)))

Let's go and obtain fast internet connection. By legal means. From another shop.
Walk between the bank and other shops. Take a casual look at the whole northern wall for cameras, motion sensors and other assorted alert systems. More casual looks at the employee door (how strong it appears) and the lock, enough to discern type of key for it (code, card, other). Same for repository door. No stopping here for staring, just a casual walk by and casual glances around.

Internet gotten.
The north wall has two cameras, one on each corner heading into the alley, but none between. They're looking out at the streets, at the entrance to the alley. You can't see any other security systems. The employee door is metal, but not not super tough looking. Probably a steel door with a hollow core. There's a black nub near the door, probably a scanner for a pass card or some sort of similar object. The repository door on the other hand is quite reenforced looking and doesn't actually have a scanner or even a handle on this side. It must need to be opened from inside.

Accompany Ulrich in his quest for an internet connection
*Indiana Jones theme plays in the background*

*Switches out modem with bag of sand*

Go to the nearby bookstore and find a thick, moderately interesting book. Buy it, then head to a quiet cafe' near the bank. Get a newspaper and a coffee there. Sit in an out of the way spot and observe the bank with my cam-eyes while reading the newspaper and book. Just don't stay too long there for it to become suspicious.
I feel like this just happened

You guys realize your apartment has a window looking out at the bank, right? That you could just watch it from there?

Anyways. It's about 1 pm now and the bank is pretty quiet. It stays that way until around 4pm when people start getting off work and the entire street, including the bank, gets busy.

By that I meant stuff like special hazmat suits and systems that apply the chemicals while depositting the resultant toxic goop somewhere else.

And what about chemicals that don't outright corrode, but can be used to make the thing brittle/easier to punch through?

Oh you'd need hazmat suits. Special ones. And a ventilation system. Oxygen supply, etc. Basically, any chemical solution powerful enough to melt metal and rock in a timely manner is going to be rather nasty indeed.

Weakening...depends on the substance. If it were iron bars you could get something to rapidly oxidize them, for instance.

Get out datapad, look for wireless signals reachable from the apartment. Note them down for future investigation.

Pack up a laptop, take it with me and walk to a cafe on the opposite side of the bank from the apartment. Pretend to be reading something off the datapad on the way, while noting strong signals as I pass the bank.

Buy something at the cafe and consume. If they have internet for customers, stay and lookup public information about the bank on the laptop. General stuff a new customer would want to know: reputation, services, pricing, etc. Otherwise, look for a nearby internet cafe to do the same thing. Head back to the apartment afterwards in any case.

This cafe is filled with bank robbers now.

There's no wireless signals which you can easily identify as the bank's and none that you would attribute to it, at least none with any strong evidence to it being from the bank. The strongest signal you find is from "westell5871" and is encrypted. Hm.

The bank seems pretty reputable, it's just a branch of a large corporate system, but has generally favorable reviews. There's some info on starting a new account, buying a safety deposit box, loans and the general stuff. Safety deposit boxes are rented at a monthly and yearly basis.

Record what I saw on my datapad.

Check out our apartment. What can I see through the windows? Do we have a balcony? Are we allowed on the roof? If so, go up there and check it out. What's visible from there? Is there a good spot for a high powered telescope or something of that sort?

You can see the bank and most of that section of the street.
You do, it's fairly small, but it's there.
You'd have to try the door to the roof to see. But no one said anything about it either way.
You go up and find the door unlocked.
You can see basically the entire street, the bank, the bank's roof, the street behind this building, etc. It's about 5 stories tall so it's got a good view.
Near the edge would work, though it might be a bit obvious if it wasn't pointed at the sky, and even then it might be suspicious.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2014, 01:53:56 pm »

With internet gotten, Look up any public maps of the city. Try to also find some sort of traffic app and see if it can be combined with a map. Then, take what I remember and try to compute routes out of the city from the bank.

That done, check the help wanted pages(both online and from the various papers the team has to have gotten by now) and see if a position for janitorial services is open at the bank.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2014, 02:32:57 pm »

"We don't necessarily have to escape out of the city right after we have robbed the bank."

Check what my instincts (intuition) say about Michael's route planning.

Google if there's any events planned in near future, scheduled road maintainence or anything that may affect the traffic flow in near future.

Also search information about interstellar travel. When did last ship came into the system which rich people might use and when next one leaves. I'm mostly checking if that could be used as excuse for our poor language skills and lack of cultural knowledge.

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2014, 05:30:57 pm »

Head back to the apartment and watch the bank from there. Use cam-eyes to scan the possibly mob owned building. See if there is anything interesting going on over there.

"Hey guys? Couple of things. We should probably get cellphones or something to stay in touch with each other. Also, I bet we could get a construction crew to tear up the road at night around the bank, maybe get them to turn off some of the alarms there after they go off enough times. Probably going to have to get one of us on the crew. Might have to have Steve change some work orders. Last thing, we might be able to broker some sort of deal with the...maybe mob people that may or may not be in the building that we don't know anything about. They might have access to material and equipment that we might not have access to. "
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2014, 08:52:39 pm »

"What about communicating through the datapads? That way, we wouldn't have to speak out loud."

Turn on the TV, turn on the local news to see if anything of interest is happening. Grab a bunch of snacks and soda, lay them out on the table in front of the couch and be glutenous as I gather information.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2014, 05:03:14 am »

Look up westell on the cafe internet, then head back to the apartment.

Ask Steve if it would be possible to get an electrical blueprint of the building.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2014, 08:46:17 am »

Any substances that could work over a few days? Rock, metal, whatever. Separate substances can do, there isn't a need for a single substance doing everything.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40