Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 45

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen! All's well that ends well, GG everyone  (Read 71573 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen!
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2014, 03:18:22 pm »

#125 : Dholgar for me.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2014, 03:25:48 pm »

Albright, make your nation pick and cull one of Karlito's choices while you're at it. Karlito will then cull lijacote and so on and so forth. The list is in the OP if anyone's unsure who's after them.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2014, 03:34:15 pm »

Even if the order could matter a bit for the bans, I don't think it matters that much, right ?

By the way, Delta foxtrot, every genned nation has a sacred unit, even Zenken, and even if the inspector doesn't show it :)
Their description says they have "Sacred light infantry".
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:38:08 pm by tompliss »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2014, 03:43:54 pm »

Even if the order could matter a bit for the bans, I don't think it matters that much, right ?

Probably not, but I find it's easier to give people clear instructions. Lessens the risk of them stumbling about in disorder and chaos.

Good call about the sacreds. I've done my nation picks with mod inspector, I don't mind getting surprised with the specifics when I load-up whatever I'm graced with.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2014, 04:39:22 pm »

** Warrior of Lightning (Human), 40g, 10r, Katana, Leather Cuirass, Jingasa.
--- Capital only, Sacred, resistances_high and invulnerable (5)

Yeah they're pretty good, actually. 5 less damage from pretty much every damage source I think, although they're capital only and their equipment is pretty limited.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »

Invulnerable is non-magical only, and it'll only partially stack with armor, as all natural protection does, but still useful.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2014, 06:34:28 pm »

Gah, I'd hoped someone would help me with my decision, but no one stepped up. Well, okay, yes, 5 more of my top 12 (yeah, the top 10 list kinda grew) went away, but only one of my top three went. Blah. Well, let's do something regrettable. As much as I want Djety's obscene Astral power (with solid crosspaths), flying assassins, flying sacred heavy infantry, fossil riders, and general heavy infantry shenanigans, let's go with another safe and comfortable (by which I pretty much mean reckless, ill-advised, and tragically astral-free) H3 nation in the form of #13: Illen, Obelisk of Flowing Magma (709637613).

Also, let's not go with #106: Nagabal, Rule of the Recruitable S6 Mages. Karlito, your turn to be a spoilsport.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2014, 07:06:13 pm »

Yeah, I guess that was the obvious one to cull. The nonexistence of Takfan sort of threw me off my groove. Guess I'll just have to content myself with the flying, access-to-all-paths, ultimate bloodhunting/patroller combo. Sigh...

In the interest of monopolizing the skies, I think I'll give the big thumbs down to Miatepec.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2014, 07:29:17 pm »

Good choice, I think. The bats are unbalanced with major vulnerabilities, but I frankly think they're broken. Their research is insane (75g for D1B1W1 drain-immune 11rp mages?!?!), they have flying assassins, they have stealthy/flying everything, their sacred are nasty and low enough resources that you can play full sloth and still put out a pile despite being cap only, solid death, excellent material to bootstrap into major blood... They actually were my first pick, though I waffled away from them to something more conservative.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2014, 01:33:14 am »

E. Albright :
I'll ban  #173 Abarea and let you #130 Illen (you forgot the 0 in 130 earlier), as I kind of want to see how we'll handle you with 40g 7rp drain-immune researchers and 160g fireball spammers :D
(I know it's not my turn to ban, but I know I'll ban this one already)

PS: I love how Nationgen sometimes generate the heaviest troop of a nation as ranged unit : Illen has 20prot crossbowmen (with length1 axes preventing them from being used as LA Man's Defenders), but no infantry with prot higher than 15 with viable weapon :P

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2014, 04:59:08 am »

I forgot the "1" in 131, actually.  :P If you're sure it'll be Illen for me (aw, no recruit-anywhere sacred giant salamander men?), I'll start writing fluff for them; Illen's troop lineup has a lot of flavor lending itself to that, albeit subtly...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2014, 05:13:32 am »

(I know it's not my turn to ban, but I know I'll ban this one already)

It's not like the order of banning matters like it did when we were picking nations.
I'll be taking #125 Dholgar away from tompliss.

Let's see how you handle an A/E nation of Agarthans and Abysians :D

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2014, 09:02:31 am »

Invulnerable is non-magical only, and it'll only partially stack with armor, as all natural protection does, but still useful.
Well there's resistances_high as well, which afaik is cold/fire/shock resist 5.

Also, since order doesn't seem to be a thing for bans, I'm going to say no #112: Zenken for Delta Foxtrot. Mages that autosummon air elementals, big path diversity, and healers are scary, but 4A mages that can be communion masters, 3H recruitable anywhere priests and cheap researchers are scarier.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2014, 05:20:05 pm »

I think I'd rather see Darmerkot, so Agarhan is out. Siege bonus, stealth, increases unrest and sacred... well. Short bow and mace, too, so that's cool. Doesn't look prohibitively expensive either. Also, their site is called Office of Flowing Magma, and they have Chosen Coal Seraphs. That just sounds so... industry. A mix of mythology and industry.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2014, 05:49:10 pm »

I'm sorry Bluerobin, but I'm going to have to cull #177 Vansceis. I can deal with high-prot infantry and a blood economy. But having all of your mages be 3 healers? F1W2 acid evokers? H3 priests? And mostly amphibious everything too? Hahaha no. Enjoy your heavy infantry.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 45