Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 45

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen! All's well that ends well, GG everyone  (Read 71562 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen!
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2014, 03:55:40 pm »

Just posting to watch.
Could we at some point get a sort of overview of what the nations that end up being played look like?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2014, 04:10:39 pm »

Ooh, Abarea has soem great mages, but now low price one :/

I'll try to post soemthing about the nations, mindmaker, as I think I'll create a test game with each one to try and see what they're good at ^^

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2014, 04:12:07 pm »

In the short run, the seed (for NG-0.5.0-reupload) is 1731078640, and the nations are being added to the initial list as they're picked.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2014, 04:33:17 pm »

I've been mulling over this, do we really need a second round of drafting and culling?
We could just go with what we have, let people really test drive builds for the weekend and be ready to roll early next week.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2014, 04:40:24 pm »

I personally think we do. We've picked our nations based on that assumption, after all. I can play with what I picked, as I hope everyone else can. But we picked our nations on the premise that we'd double-draft and cull. Besides, if today was anything to judge by, we can be done with this by Monday at the latest, and very possibly tomorrow night.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2014, 04:46:37 pm »

Fair enough. On with the second round then.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2014, 05:45:04 pm »

109- Samarir
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2014, 06:46:52 pm »

Nation 148: Miatepec - Withering Order! They are a nation of zotz (swarmy size-2 human-bats). I'll edit in further description now, but I'll just get my pick out of the way now.

First, I'll mention the sacred Divine Guard and the Divine Master. They are both equipped with shields, obsidian club swords, scale mail hauberks, and they both turn into water elementals when they die, which are sacred as well. Pictured is the size (and crispness!) of the water elemental in comparison with the rather sizable (yet surprisingly weak, at strength 7) bat-humans. The Guard have very good stats otherwise, at 14 defence and 14 attack, and a whopping 15 magic resistance, and +2 to the attack and defence statistics for the Master (or commander) variant. If you squint, you can see pixelated dicks. #worthit. Also, there are no H3s.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Outside of the Divine Guard, their rank and file have mostly piddly throwing weapons (chakrams and throwing axes thrown by blind bat warriors rarely contact, unless in excessive quantity), hide shields and leather hauberks. Very low cost on most of them, with the spearbats costing 8 gold and 2 resources. Good for swarming, scary good at raiding (as everyone has stealth, everyone).

The mages, though, are what initially piqued my interest. The vapormancers. Pictures linked, stats and boils and all.
The Neophyte Withering Vapormancer
Apprencite Withering Vapormancer The randoms are 110% WEDB
Arch Withering Vapormancer The randoms are 110% WEDB (this will have to be changed to Withering Archvapormancer, maybe)

Everyone outside of the neophyte is Old Age, but with levels in Death magic, I'm hoping they are alright with that. They all ignore Drain scales (for casting spells as well, if I'm reading the game right). They are all blind, too. The Arch Withering Vapormancer is sacred, which is cool for upkeep (costs less a year than an apprentice does) and a potential mage bless. Since they are blind and old, though, they're very, very, very easy pickings for anyone who gets a chance at trying to hit them. Good thing they get to start in a cave, right? Right? :P

Like with my previous pick, I went with death. Because damn it I want a game where I get to use death. 408 doesn't count because I'm dead soon. In any case, I am happy with the picks I got to make, since I would like to play with either of them. Of the two, I think the bats might be less broken, in having very low strength across the board, and no prot 32 chariots.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:29:50 pm by lijacote »
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2014, 11:24:42 pm »

Well, there goes two of my original 10. Fair warning, lijacote, the AI seems to have trouble getting the throwers to respond correctly - absent commands to the contrary, the zotz tend to just charge forward on foot, situation irregardless. And oh yeah - 75g for 11 research with drain resistance...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:27:41 pm by E. Albright »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2014, 02:01:07 am »

Oh, about Zots :
I don't know whether there are any nation of zots capable of casting it, but the Solar Brillance spell (burn the retinas of everyone, and burn the undead/demons; S5, enchant7) should be really good with them : they've got blindsense.
It means that you apply a -9 to atk/def/prec to every enemy, without loosing anything yourself (except 5+ astral gems and putting fatigue on the caster).
But centering a nation's strategy around a high level spell may not be the best idea anyway.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2014, 08:21:34 am »

Picking nation #140 - Agarhan
Not to be confused with nation #197, which is also named Agarhan.

Also, correcting a typo, my first nation pick is Darmerkot, not Damerkot.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2014, 08:44:07 am »

This one seems nice too, with the cheapest researcher, and the recruit-everywhere big mages.
And nearly everything is amphibious (even if I don't like their drake cavalry).

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2014, 09:17:41 pm »

Culise? You have your second pick?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2014, 09:29:36 pm »

Been offline for a bit over a day. I'm sure we'll get a post soon after he logs back in.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2014, 11:53:44 am »

Tell you what, if Culise ends up being offline for 48 hours (so about 8 or so hours from this post), we'll skip him in the drafting and carry on with USEC & co.. If he pops his head in the next two days, he's in the game, if not, I would feel that the best thing for the match would be to carry on without him.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 45