Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189778 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #750 on: October 03, 2014, 06:49:37 pm »

There's a verse somewhere where it specifies whether killing someone commiting a serious crime against you is murder or not. It says that if there's a criminal in the night and you struggle with him and maybe kill him, it's acceptable, but if it's in broad daylight, then it's not, i.e., if you have a way to take them alive, do so.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 03, 2014, 07:01:05 pm »

"Thou shalt not murder"
I'm pretty sure self murder counts here, suicide is just as bad as walking up to someone you bully all the time and shoot him in the face cause you don't think he needs to live anymore
Have you ever been suicidal? I have. I've stood on a bridge wanting to jump. The only reason I didn't was that I was too much of a coward to go through with it. Suicide does not as a rule involve any moral categories such as 'deserving to die' or any such bullshit. It's literally the last resort when no other way of action promises relief.
Put yourself in the shoes of someone about to kill themself. About to throw away the rest of their life. All the happiness, all the experiences, all the good things they may yet encounter. And about to do so willingly, accepting all the consequences. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who themself has decided that the next minute - literally the next minute - will be their last one.

And then tell me again that suicide is the same as murder.

Those people need help, not a verict. I've been one of the very lucky ones. There's no need to piss all over the graves of those who weren't as lucky as me.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #752 on: October 03, 2014, 07:07:08 pm »

Let's not debate the ethics of suicide. Too many flames ready to leap up.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 03, 2014, 07:07:31 pm »

"Thou shalt not murder"
I'm pretty sure self murder counts here, suicide is just as bad as walking up to someone you bully all the time and shoot him in the face cause you don't think he needs to live anymore
Have you ever been suicidal? I have. I've stood on a bridge wanting to jump. The only reason I didn't was that I was too much of a coward to go through with it. Suicide does not as a rule involve any moral categories such as 'deserving to die' or any such bullshit. It's literally the last resort when no other way of action promises relief.
Put yourself in the shoes of someone about to kill themself. About to throw away the rest of their life. All the happiness, all the experiences, all the good things they may yet encounter. And about to do so willingly, accepting all the consequences. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who themself has decided that the next minute - literally the next minute - will be their last one.

And then tell me again that suicide is the same as murder.

Those people need help, not a verict. I've been one of the very lucky ones. There's no need to piss all over the graves of those who weren't as lucky as me.

Thanks for bringing back bad memories

Yes I've pondered suicide
And no I didn't go as far as you have so maybe I'm just wrong but suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem
It doesn't solve anything, it's a waste of life, and it's the murder of one's self. It's wrong
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 03, 2014, 07:10:03 pm »

There's nothing that is inherently wrong. It depends on reasoning. Is murder wrong? Yes? Then why do we fight wars? Why do we kill to protect ourselves? Why do we eat meat.

After all, animal's God's creature too. He loves it, we eat it: The Heavenly Bucket Menu Deal.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #755 on: October 03, 2014, 07:11:15 pm »

Humans created in God's image. Animals created for humans' plates.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 03, 2014, 07:14:50 pm »

Indeed.

So we, as physical beings, look like our spiritual creator? Like a rock looking like the water that carved it?

Or is it morally and mentally? Are we invested with certain God-Given gifts? Yet another display of favourtism...but it provides a fascinating glimpse into the mind of a God who seems human, and so made humanity based off himself. And all the other animals? Just to sustain man. They suffer? Die? Writhe in agony? It's fine. They're sub-species. Made to be devoured by man.

But hey, I love all of creation, man!

To clarify, I love eating meat, I haven't gone all hippy elf :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 03, 2014, 07:17:37 pm »

Y'know, strictly speaking, the bible doesn't actually give an outright stricture against cannibalism. Portrays it fairly negatively, but...

... there's the whole Streaker J omnomnom thing that's been a ritual practice for a long while now. Considering ritual cannibalism (albeit symbolic, at least depending on how literal you take transubstantiation) is a long and historied practice within Christian churches...

Can't help but wonder if it's a "Methinks you dost protest too much" situation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 03, 2014, 07:29:06 pm »

What's funny: The areas with the most Christian influence are also the areas who are all

Quote from: Actual real Texans
BUT MUH GUNS

Why is this a thing that's a thing? Isn't the base of Christianity, at least in the New Testament, all about being kind to each other an not, uh, waving guns at everyone?

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 03, 2014, 07:30:06 pm »

What's funny: The areas with the most Christian influence are also the areas who are all

BUT MUH GUNS

Why is this a thing that's a thing? Isn't the base of Christianity, at least in the New Testament, all about being kind to each other an not, uh, waving guns at everyone?
Jesus wasn't exactly an anti-weapons guy. At one point, he actually tells his followers to go out and get some swords, just in case.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 03, 2014, 07:41:27 pm »

... does he actually say anything about anything except swords, though? Maybe the guy was just really fond of swords, but didn't like anything else. Hard to say without some verse to back it up.

By the numbers, though, more of the christian population is outside the US than inside it. Only about a third was in the states back in 2010, and the south american and african christian populations are growing faster, iirc. Might be better to look to other parts of the world if you're looking for major influence areas, and around a forth of 'em are in europe, which is fairly anti-gun by the state's MUH GUNS crowd's metrics.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 03, 2014, 07:45:19 pm »

Thanks for bringing back bad memories

Yes I've pondered suicide
And no I didn't go as far as you have so maybe I'm just wrong but suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem
It doesn't solve anything, it's a waste of life, and it's the murder of one's self. It's wrong
I won't argue that it's not wrong - because any decent ethics system will say that it is -, but I will argue that there's a fundamental difference between suicide and murder. Commiting murder means trying to shape the world by removing the murdered from it; commiting suicide means removing oneself from it. Most people who actually intend to kill themselves don't wish to make an impact on the world; they merely want to no longer exist - that's why 'Think of those left behind' is such a strong argument. The aim of suicide is fundamentally different from the aim of murder; that's why we must not lump those two together.
The Roman Catholic Church's argument against suicide runs along the lines of 'Your life belongs to God, therefore you must not throw it away', IIRC, which is fairly different from just defaulting to 'It's murder'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 03, 2014, 07:47:07 pm »

BUT MUH GUNS

Jesus wasn't exactly an anti-weapons guy. At one point, he actually tells his followers to go out and get some swords, just in case.
There's also a verse that basicaly says a man without a sword isn't a man or something along those lines
I'm probably way off but there is a verse about being a guy without a sword ain't a good thing
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 03, 2014, 07:50:27 pm »

So we, as physical beings, look like our spiritual creator? Like a rock looking like the water that carved it?

More like a child looking like it's parents, according to my religion.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #764 on: October 03, 2014, 08:36:05 pm »

BUT MUH GUNS
There's also a verse that basicaly says a man without a sword isn't a man or something along those lines
I'm probably way off but there is a verse about being a guy without a sword ain't a good thing
Sounds like it might be in reference to the "sword of the spirit", i.e., a good knowledge of Scripture.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 185