Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: D&D 5e : Gasrath is not just another city : the OOC Thread.  (Read 10829 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: D&D 5e : Gasrath is not just another city : the OOC Thread.
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2014, 04:14:04 pm »

Dont worry II, My timezone is GMT+7 so i doubt my posting time will be any weirder than yours
GMT +12.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2014, 04:21:02 pm »

-7, here. One of the last to have a day.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2014, 04:50:09 pm »

GMT -8. West coast ftw.

Also, I make characters pretty much exactly the opposite way most people seem to; I come up with the character concept first, and then stat around it.
Like, "I want to make a bard who can talk her way out of any situation." or, "I usually play a lot of thin, good looking characters. This time I want to play someone big and imposing."
Sure, it doesn't make them super combat capable, (in fact, the bard listed above was designed specifically to avoid combat) but it makes the characters feel more like characters and not just a bunch of stats given life. I dunno, maybe building a character around stats and coming up with things on the fly is more fun to some people, but I've never been good at that.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2014, 05:05:02 pm »

I generally see more people doing it your way, AlleeCat, especially when they don't really know what is possible, when they are used to RP, or when they want to base a character on something they saw/read.

I personally do it nearly the other way around : not coming from stats first, but building a character around a feature, a class specialization, or even a spell. I do that mainly because I like to spend time reading over and over the options available in the books, comparing them to other RPGs, seeing what is meant to be easily possible, and what is present in another RPG and could only be done mixing multiple classes and feats.
You may get this feeling of characters built with "basic" background and created more around a class, when you read abour soem characters options in my list, but take the Halfling head-huntress, for example. It's based on the Halfling racial ability to hide behind allies, the usual thing in fantasy about halfling/dwarf hunting giants for fun, the myth david VS goliath, and the Ranger's bonuses against large targets. Then it's "simple" to apply some fluff on her, as she fits multiple stereotypes, and the fact that she is good as what she is made to helps the player show why she's here. :D

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2014, 05:12:23 pm »

and USEC, here is what I can propose to you : http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=32077

Excellent. Looks good to me. Now I just have to spend the time and effort filling the fluff out, don't I?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2014, 05:18:49 pm »

As much as you want :)
You should PM me your myth-weavers username so I can put you as editor of the sheet (but as it's in beta, I don't know if it works correctly)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2014, 05:20:19 pm »

It should be USEC_OFFICER, same as here. And if it's not that, then it's USECOFFICER without the underscore. And if that doesn't work then something is damn wrong on their end, since it is definitely one of those two.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2014, 05:26:03 pm »

Uh, it doesn't add you in the sheet user list.
It was the same for Varee.

I'll check about that tomorrow :/

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2014, 05:39:56 pm »

This is set after the fall of the Witch-King's rule, correct?

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2014, 06:38:08 pm »

Dont worry II, My timezone is GMT+7 so i doubt my posting time will be any weirder than yours
GMT +12.
The funny thing is +12 is actually closer to us -5 to-7 than+7 :P
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2014, 12:11:51 am »

This is set after the fall of the Witch-King's rule, correct?
2 answers :
Yes,
and I'm not really following the canon story-line.

About what may concerns you : Damara is currently ruled by a (somewhat incompetent) king, not by a BBEG-type evil necromander witch-king.

PS: and with me at GMT+2, we're really all around the world ^^"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:11:53 am by tompliss »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2014, 06:49:19 am »

OK guys, we're nearly going. I'll post the IC thread this evening or tomorrow.

While we're "waiting", could I have a little description of how your characters look like, and how they would describe themselves when getting together for this adventure (little plot introduction in first post) ?

[EDIT] PM sent to varee
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:15:16 am by tompliss »

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2014, 06:56:39 am »

I would just give the gm the freedom to make my character look like whatever and with whatever backstory :P ((this mean am too lazy to make up one ))
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2014, 08:17:27 am »

You've checked your sheet, and it doesn't looks like you've missed any stats.
I wouldn't mind a little background about how he got his powers, and why he thinks that way.
Also, you may want to his racial traits in the "Features & Traits" thingy.
finally, I think that your spells (other than your cantrips) are really battel-oriented. Mage Armor is a really good Idea, and it's always nice to have both a zone and a single target spell, but as a sorcerer, you're limited in term of spell number. You have your meta-magic to expand your possibilities.
Chromatic Orc is nice because it lets you deal the damage type you want, but don't forget you need to have a diamong on you to cast it.
Scorching ray is nice because of its single/multi target aspect, but it's level 2 so you can't cast it every time. Moreover, you can cast lvl1 spells using a lvl2 slot to make them more efficient (Chromatic Orb does more damage to a single target when used as a lvl2 spell).
I don't think Witch Bolt is a great spell for you, by the way...
Just went over my character sheet again, and did some revisions. The backstory I have written up and personality are very stream of consciousness at the moment, so I probably will change things around in the future. It gets the gist of things, but not quite happy with it just yet.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 10:17:37 am »

Ok, BFEL, let's say you're from the region where we will start : the kingdom of Damara.

It's at the north of the continent (Faerun), and while it's mostly like northern Europe as far as climate goes, with some nice mountains and mines.
(for the worried players in the back, we'll play in summer, and you'll be able to wear your fur bikini)

Damara is composed of duchies and baronies, with only a few cities and towns, and many small farming/fishing settlements and mining sites, and one of those may be were you come from. A barbarian camp, and mining village, or any other rural settlement that can provide a rough youth for you character.

About names, Damaran first names usually have a Russian sound (not saying Red won't really fit), and the last name can be pretty much what you want, and may depend more on what you can imagine be your ancestors and where you come from.

Your last name could be roughly how your clan saw you if you come from a barbarian-ish tribe (HowlingSword, DancingBlade, QuickTemper,... big sword, high charisma, and low wisdom are keys here) and let's not forget about the "son of this-one" if you're proud of your family.
On the other hand, if you're more from a mining/farming settlement, the job of your father, his father, and his father's father may take an important part of name and life. With the Folk Hero background, you're proficient with an artisan's tool (not mentioned in your sheet), so it could be really relevant as far as your character's concerned.

Hmm... I'll have him part of a mining settlement because DRILLS :P
As for the name...lets have his last name be MournDawn, lets say that his mother died giving birth to him, and his father mourned through the whole dawn, and every dawn afterwards. So the other villagers started calling them that and it stuck :P
And we'll have his first name stay Red.

As for looks, lets obviously give him the enormous red cape, I don't imagine they have pointed sunglasses in Damara, so unfortunately we'll have to omit those (though I might have something like them as a crest for a helmet at some point XD)
He is a fairly fit man, with wiry strength, and he is fairly tall for a human at about 6'5"
Can his sword have a red tint? Purely cosmetic effect from geologic effects on the ore? Maybe have it a specialty of his settlement?

Lets see, he has folk hero as a backstory, so lets say that one day the mines were attacked by goblins or something? And they collapsed them, trapping the miners and Red dug them out and led them against the gobbos?
Also his dad died in this incident, so that he can be Conveniently an Orphan.

And then he joined this scouting thing because he wanted to make the world a safer place. Lets go with that.
Oh and villagers call him "Screaming Red" because...well I imagine he was angry at the gobbos :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10