Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: D&D 5e : Gasrath is not just another city : the OOC Thread.  (Read 10818 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e : Gasrath is not just another city : the OOC Thread.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 08:14:53 pm »

We're starting at level 3, Alleecat.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 08:37:20 pm »

Ah... I'll throw my hat in the ring. I don't have the PHB, so I don't really know what is in it or not, but... What are my options for a sneaky guy? And races that would be good for sneaking?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 08:51:16 pm »

Halfling and elves both get bonuses to Dex, the primary stealth skill. As always Humans are good at everything.

For sneaky guys, you've got your standard Rogue. Can't go wrong there. You could also be a Cleric, with the Trickery domain. Monks now have a subclass based around stealth, the Way of the Shadow, which is what I've taken. A ranger could be useful, since it sounds like we're going to be in natural terrain for most of the game. Either subclass could work.

I can provide the specifics. Send me a PM on what you want.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 09:04:16 pm »

Oh boy! More stuff I have to figure out! In all honesty, I think I've figured this out. Still can't tell what the deal is with feats, though. Do we even get any in the beginning, or do we have to use Ability Improvements later on?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 09:28:46 pm »

The second one. Unless you take a human variant.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 09:49:46 pm »

Just so everyone is aware of the party balance, I'm playing the bard.

Said bard is an expy of Kamina.

So I'm pretty much dominating charisma stuffs right now.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 09:53:49 pm »

This lute is the lute that will pierce the heavens!

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 03:09:20 am »

USEC : About sneaky races : Human, Elves, Forest Gnomes, Halflings, half-elves are all good.
For classes, Immaterial summed it up right (even though the adventure will have a bit more city than he thinks :p ).
Rogue are the common (and I think the best) class for a city-oriented sneaky guys. They're the stealthiest, and the specializations all are good for that (Thief for more utility and acrobatics; Assassin for bigger damage, deception and poison; or Arcane trickster for a bit of magic in the mix, with illusions and debuffs).
Ranger are the common class for nature-oriented sneaky guys. They're the best when it comes to find and track anything, and they generally have more utility than rogues (extra class features). One of they specialization offer them an animal companion than brings even more utility to the table (a hawk will particularly help for perception and can offer a new point of view pretty easily, for example), while the other is more damage oriented, giving more ways to deal damage either to a single target or to hordes.
Cleric of Trickery seems to be an option, maybe more illusion-oriented and more dependent on spells (so momentarily more powerful then rogues/rangers). It can bring the usual broader utility a cleric brings, but is more limited as far as combat is concerned.
Monk (with the Way of the Shadow) are closer to anime-styled ninja, going from shadow to shadow, running excessively fast, catching arrows, and hitting faster than anyone with their bare hands.
Fighter are also a possibility. Focussing on ranged and "finesse" weapons (dual wielding scimitars or rapier an shield), you can easily get a fighter with great potential in combat (using the Battle master specialization to be able to parry strikes, disarm or distract your opponents, etc...). Thanks to the potential of backgrounds and feat, they can also bring many things to the table.

[EDIT]Also, Sorcerers and Warlocks can easily get a sneaky focus. Both use their charisma and need high dexterity to dodge hits. That means they can effectively use this dexterity for acrobatics and stealth, and the charisma for bluff and persuasion when they need to get past curious people.
Sorcerers can affect their spells to cast them without speaking out loud (as most spells normally do), and the draconic ones get some natural armor, which means they don't even need to amper their stealth with anything. They have access to many cantrips (spells they can cast at will, any number of time during the day), including some really sueful ones for distraction (Minor illusion, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand,...) and some spells that are realyl helpful as well (Disguise Self, Feather Fall, Fog Cloud, Sleep, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Spider Climb).
Warlocks have a more limited spell list, but still get some good ones for stealthy purposes (Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Spider Climb), and some special ability depending on the entity which grant them their powers. The "Great Old One" patron could interest you, as it helps you focus on the minds on the others. As such, you become able to communicate telepathically. Also, you can get special invocations, boosting your abilities in Deception & Persuasion, letting you see in the dark or casting Disguise Self or Silent Image at will.
With a stealth oriented background and/or race (Half elf, halfling, human), those two classes would grant you some nice stealthy caster.

AlleeCat : You seem to have he basics correct. As the other said, we're begining at level 3, so that means your HPs should be higher : 10+2 + 6+2 + 6+2 = 28 at level 3.
Also, I see that you've listed dueling as your fighing style and a longsword in your weapon list, but no shield. It should bring your AC 2 poitns higher.
Except if I missed something, your movement speed should be the "normal" one : 30ft, not just 25ft.
I also can't find your color in your sheet : white or silver ?
Also, you seem to have access to the PHB (as the PAladin isn't in the free PDF). Do you need help to choose your spells ?
One last thing about the sheet : in the skill list, I think you're supposed to put your total bonus in the input boxes, so that would be 5 in athletics, 4 in intimidation, and so on...
And about the feat, it's as Immaterial said : you can skip an ability increase to have a feat instead (or use the Human Variant race to have one at your first level). So no feat for a lvl3 dragonborn, but maybe at the next level :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 06:59:54 am by tompliss »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 01:48:07 pm »

She is neither white nor silver, she is technically an albino red. Also, the PHB seemed to say that I get access to all the Paladin spells, and I just have to prepare them on a daily basis, otherwise I would have put some on my sheet.
Finally, how do I figure out my initiative and passive perception? I'm not seeing it anywhere in the PHB.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 02:01:05 pm »

Your passive perception is 10 + your perception bonus (total of 12), and your initiative is your dexterity "bonus" (so -1).

About your spells, what I meant is that usually, characters who prepare spells at the beginning of the day have a "default" set of spells. You can prepare 3 spells at the beginning of the day from a list of 16, so it's better if you know before we start which spell fits your character.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 03:21:59 pm »

Then I would probably go with Searing Smite, Shield of Faith, and Protection from Evil and Good.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 04:46:25 am »

Looks like I have successfully entered the waiting list. Good. Bides his time in a corner.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 10:52:33 am »

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=31005

Well, got a character sheet up, but missing some details. Just wanted to get it out the way at least. I'll prolly need to review it again to make sure I got everything right.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:02:46 am by chaoticag »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 12:00:20 pm »

You've checked your sheet, and it doesn't looks like you've missed any stats.
I wouldn't mind a little background about how he got his powers, and why he thinks that way.
Also, you may want to his racial traits in the "Features & Traits" thingy.
finally, I think that your spells (other than your cantrips) are really battel-oriented. Mage Armor is a really good Idea, and it's always nice to have both a zone and a single target spell, but as a sorcerer, you're limited in term of spell number. You have your meta-magic to expand your possibilities.
Chromatic Orc is nice because it lets you deal the damage type you want, but don't forget you need to have a diamong on you to cast it.
Scorching ray is nice because of its single/multi target aspect, but it's level 2 so you can't cast it every time. Moreover, you can cast lvl1 spells using a lvl2 slot to make them more efficient (Chromatic Orb does more damage to a single target when used as a lvl2 spell).
I don't think Witch Bolt is a great spell for you, by the way...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 01:43:33 pm »

I picked it more out of theme, but I'll work on backgrounds and stuff at some point. Thanks for the feedback though.

Mostly taking my time at the moment since I am on the waiting list at the moment. Hell, I'd be willing to help anyone not done with a character make one if they'd like to.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10