Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

In absence of a poll, have some handy links!

Reminder: If you're comfortable with it, approximate height and weight would be good info for the character sheet
- 6 (42.9%)
Handy link to Character sheet!
- 2 (14.3%)
Handy link to map!
- 1 (7.1%)
Tropes page as well, why not.
- 5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427

Author Topic: If Forumites Were Stuck in an RPG (2nd thread. REBOOT COMMENCED)  (Read 289653 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Yah. Not fun.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile

Looks fun to me.
thincake

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Your point? Because that was pretty much how the game was intended from what I understand.

As it was made in the Roguelike style, kinda was.

And plenty of injuries taking months to heal normally.

And some never healing.

Are we at a misunderstanding of what the result of having realistic damage is?  You say you want realistic damage, but don't want these type of injuries, which is a result of having realistic damage.

Critical Existence Failure is a stupid way to go.

Did I ever say that the system has to have it be that you can work just as fine with low HP as high HP?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:53:47 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Roguelike style doesn't normally run very well in rping. As has been shown by the slow stagnation of the game. Coupled with slow posting for encounters, it sorta died. You'll note that the times with high participation were the times with minimal injuries and deaths.

Also Roguelikes always have a way to win. Attrition death is not winning. If lets say, each time the player died, they kept their levels, then that would work for attrition, because then they're still improving.

No, we aren't misunderstanding. I definitely want realistic damage. However we Will need to rework the game pacing and encounter formatting to prevent attritiondeath. Unless you want to keep levels on death, in which case it wouldn't matter.

That's generally how hitpoints work.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

I say we get rid of realistic damage because as one of the people who ran maps or wanted to run maps, it's to annoying to determine damage as of now.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Some of these problems could be solved by making healing a little more available.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Some of these problems could be solved by making healing a little more available.
Indeed.

Especially considering we will now have an alchemist who should eventually be able to make healing potions.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got an idea on how to do this while on my way to class, will discuss on steam/pms later.

As per the question of fun, I think we could use more concrete feedback there. What are peoples' favorite moments? Least favorite? Memorable NPCs/side characters?

As a GM, I liked revealing stuff that got a reaction. The Halls of memory, the start of Bandit's Playhouse. However, overall my favorite moment was probably the Hungry Pumkin room, especially

Unfortunately, the attack glances off of the pumpkin's side, as if he swung at solid stone. The pumpkin glared at Kyle, grappled onto his arm, and threw him across the room, causing the ninja to skid onto the smooth floor and collide against the wall, bruising his legs in the process and lightly denting his helm.

"No! I don't want that!"

The Pumpkin's vacant stare returned, and he looked back at the assortment of food.

And

"Right, then." HugoLuman picks up both bricks and places them in front of the pumpkin, jumping back immediately.
The pumpkin stares at the two bricks intently, standing so completely still as to be devoid of motion. He didn't move, and seemed to be stuck in place.

"Hmmm, it appears we broke the mind of our poor acquaintance here lads. Guess he won't be bothering us anymo-"

The pumpkin started to eat. It grabbed from the same general area over and over and over again, stuffing itself on food which seemed to materilzize out of nothing. The pumpkin grew larger, and larger, and yet larger still, until it reached the top of the diner's ceiling.

"That wasn't too baaaad."

The colossal glutton then proceeded to walk out of the door, breaking it and the surrounding area in the process and shattering the whole facade, leaving behind a plain concrete wall and wooden gate as it appeared to simply vanish in the wall. The room fell silent, and everything seemed a touch more real.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

everything mostly blurred together for me.  Two main things I remember are the person me, kj, and propman trained under and the fisherman at the river.  Even those are kinda blurred.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to get the new one started today, but I'd like to have a group chat about the core mechanics. That is, recommended classes, respawning, and leveling. Does anyone think these need to be reconsidered?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, those were fine.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you get on steam? There's enough people on to have a bit of a talk.

The two new mechanics I want to discuss are standardized consumables (in addition to whatever ones people come up with) and group mechanics for dropping in/out and regulating pace.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't, having trouble getting my new PC up and running.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile

I can use steam.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

I can get on Steam.

Same username.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427