Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Battleship Commander  (Read 43035 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship Commander
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2014, 01:27:00 pm »

PTW
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2014, 06:01:14 am »

PTW. This looks amazing.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2014, 08:43:58 am »

- Thanks for adding mouse buttons rebindings, but each time I restart the game I have to set the left click to right click again.
- Thanks for adding interface size and position saving, though it isn't for the "stats" window which I move too, and every time I use restart on the menu I have to open each window again.
- Please make that when doing a right click on a component in component list, it switches it off/on.
- By the end of "random battle" I was overheating with basically only one laser enabled, so each time my ship was cool once again I had to click on "all assign target" so they shoot again, could you change so in this case I don't have to click on this every few seconds ?
- Where is the pop-up you talked about for warp ? Also I'd like to be able to warp exactly where I want, right now even slowing down the game + warp + game with external software, doesn't slow enough to stop the warp where I want. I wanted that to warp only a few meters to an enemy which I destroyed warp disruptor. Default "warp to" command may still be too far and in the case I can't turn anymore and the ennemy isn't exactly in front of me it wouldn't work, in that case I would want to do something like "warp as close as possible".
- One day could you add custom alerts ? That is, custom sets of what's enabled and what isn't.
- Did someone ever won in "random battle" mode ? Best I did is a tie, in which in the end every ships are out of fuel, very far from each other and overheating. I'm not asking to make this easier, I'm just asking, maybe I'm not playing optimally (all other automated ships either then though).
- Later maybe there should be some kind of automated "x pressing cycle", on one hand it shall not be too easy and automated so one player doesn't just enable ai and wait, but on the other hand it's quickly boring to do and is one bit "twitch". Maybe it should be possible for players to do some kind of basic scripts depending on ennemy distance etc since this x cycle depend on that (if there was this I would try instead to use reverse thrust half the time or rotate to use the main thrust as reverse thrust). conversely, and easier to change, you may add a mode for weapons that shoot in a larger area, the idea being that instead of trying to shoots all bullets on the ship which may avoid it all by decelerating on time, they shoot in a large area so at least a few bullets hit it for sure. The area should probably be an oval, not a circle because of the main thruster. This may be useless to add until you add multiplayer or better ai though.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2014, 11:22:18 am »

- Where is the pop-up you talked about for warp ?
right click on your ships

Also I'd like to be able to warp exactly where I want, right now even slowing down the game + warp + game with external software, doesn't slow enough to stop the warp where I want. I wanted that to warp only a few meters to an enemy which I destroyed warp disruptor. Default "warp to" command may still be too far and in the case I can't turn anymore and the ennemy isn't exactly in front of me it wouldn't work, in that case I would want to do something like "warp as close as possible".
Right now ships exit warp always at 25 Km from target. This is only a temporary mechanics. I will implement a better system where the distance depends from the desired engagement distance of both ship and the power of warp disruptors.
Manually exiting warp with accuracy is possible only with very low time multiplier. In dev mode using keys you can go down to 0.008 but is not enough, use the console command  .simulation_speed 0.00001

- One day could you add custom alerts ? That is, custom sets of what's enabled and what isn't.
Yes.

Did someone ever won in "random battle" mode ? Best I did is a tie, in which in the end every ships are out of fuel, very far from each other and overheating. I'm not asking to make this easier, I'm just asking, maybe I'm not playing optimally
It is possible to win but you need to save fuel from the beginning and some luck. It will be more fun when i'll add engines with higher ISP.

(all other automated ships either then though).
The AI doesn't know how to manage fuels or heat.

- Later maybe there should be some kind of automated "x pressing cycle"
In future i will improve the navigation AI to use this trick

conversely, and easier to change, you may add a mode for weapons that shoot in a larger area, the idea being that instead of trying to shoots all bullets on the ship which may avoid it all by decelerating on time, they shoot in a large area so at least a few bullets hit it for sure.
The weapons already try to shoot in a larger area if the target is very agile like missiles, but are not aware of this trick that allow sudden change of acceleration also for sluggish ships.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2014, 11:45:16 am »

The weapons already try to shoot in a larger area if the target is very agile like missiles, but are not aware of this trick that allow sudden change of acceleration also for sluggish ships.
You mean that on missiles there is such a mechanism in addition to the natural imprecision that leads to a long cone ?

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2014, 11:59:02 am »

Just checked the warp options:
First if one wants to warp a very short time, the fact that it can be accessed only while in warp (pausing the game and pressing V isn't a trick) may be a problem. Then, the "cruise speed" is around 37% and shows a "!" while the minimum value that shows a "e" is around 40%.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2014, 12:13:22 pm »

Those figures are dynamic according to your ship.  IIRC, the stock ship has pretty trash travel ability.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2014, 01:10:08 pm »

You mean that on missiles there is such a mechanism in addition to the natural imprecision that leads to a long cone ?
The weapons calculates an estimation of how much the target can diverge from the predicted position. if the area is larger than the cone of fire (due to dispersion) the dispersion is increased up to 0.015 (or 2x the minimum dispersion).
This is done for every ship, not only missiles.

if one wants to warp a very short time, the fact that it can be accessed only while in warp (pausing the game and pressing V isn't a trick) may be a problem.
If the travel is so short then the battery and temperature doesn't change significatively

Then, the "cruise speed" is around 37% and shows a "!" while the minimum value that shows a "e" is around 40%.
If you travel at cruise speed it doesn't matter much efficiency. Your fuel cells will use more LH2 and LOX in total if your speed is above or below the most efficient speed. And if you have nuclear reactors it doesn't matters at all.
If you have only batteries then you have to worry about efficiency.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2014, 03:53:28 pm »

I did warp with ".simulation_speed 0.00001". It's quite ironic that at this speed both ships explode while you just go through otherwise. I guess that someone with extreme bad luck and playing with a lot of fps, can crash too randomly and very rarely.
edit: I mean, with normal speed.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2014, 10:36:15 am »

- Maybe it would be good if there was an option to have only one list for both navigation and weapons, maybe by merging both navigation and weapons in the same window.
- I tried to warp 2 ships I controled to each other, both went way too far.
- I cheated to control earth station, move it right on top of mars station and attack it: it seems that missiles "falling" on it before they can propel themselves, didn't damage its armor at all despite their explosions, if that's normal I'd like to know why.
- What exactly does reduce "structure" %age ? I have cases of nearly no damage to armor/components but high damage to structure and vice-versa.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2014, 11:25:41 am »

- Maybe it would be good if there was an option to have only one list for both navigation and weapons, maybe by merging both navigation and weapons in the same window.
It is a possibility but i want to wait that things stabilize before doing serious work on the GUI.

They both stopped too far from each other? Or they missed their target and entered in a warp circle? sometime this can happen but should be rare. If it isn't then i have to look at it.

- I cheated to control earth station, move it right on top of mars station and attack it: it seems that missiles "falling" on it before they can propel themselves, didn't damage its armor at all despite their explosions, if that's normal I'd like to know why.
Missiles have an "arm time" of 5 seconds. Before that time (or if the target is not an enemy or the missile designated target), the warhead doesn't explode. The explosion that you see is the impact effect that i probably should reduce.

- What exactly does reduce "structure" %age ? I have cases of nearly no damage to armor/components but high damage to structure and vice-versa.
Explosions reduce structure. Lately i have changed the formula a few times trying to find a good formula. In this version the structure is damaged in proportion to components damage and volume
structure_damage=component_damage/component_max_hp*component_volume
and for hull armor
structure_damage=armor_damage
But this formula has a problem, if the ship is mostly empty like the starting ship there are not enough components to damage to completely destroy the structure. If the ship instead is full of components the structure is damaged easily.
Now i will try a new formula where the damage is porportional to total mass
structure_damage=component_damage/component_max_hp*component_mass/hull_mass where hull_mass is the sum of all components,structure and armor.
But i realized that the best i can hope is to have an acceptable formula not a good formula.
The proper thing to do would be to keep track of the structure using a voxel 3D matrix.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2014, 02:18:06 pm »

They both stopped too far from each other? Or they missed their target and entered in a warp circle? sometime this can happen but should be rare. If it isn't then i have to look at it.
They missed their target. I tried it just once so I don't know how often it happens.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2014, 05:45:48 am »

In wave mode:
- when I tried to stop it accelerated instead, prograde face the way to slow down and vice-versa.
- if I don't use a battery, all fuel goes from 100% to 0% suddenly after a few seconds.
- I destroyed powerplant (grey, red should be enough to win anyway no ?) of the first enemy yet nothing happened and few minutes later I had a stalemate.
- I tried to destroy battery with lasers but it was behind the powerplant, yet when powerplant is grey the battery still cannot be damaged. Maybe this is normal but in the latest video you made, missiles could go through destroyed components, I guess that if I try to use lasers after those they will still be blocked by components.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2014, 07:02:23 am »

Just started playing around, tried making a railgun ship (remove old turrets, attach heavy turret, select a rail gun, hit the auto-reload, auto-turret-engines and every other button I can find).

Sadly it didn't fire once, even when i took AI control away and tried to do it myself : (

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2014, 09:48:45 am »

Did you upgrade your capacitors?  Rails use an absurd amount of power.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18