Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Battleship Commander  (Read 43000 times)

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship Commander
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 11:28:58 pm »

Which version are you using? In the version released today i changed the electrical system. If you are using the 10/09/2014 version check that turret engines are powered. In the new version look at capacitor charge, if it is always near zero you do not have enough power.

Thanks. I'll dl the newest version and try again!

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 02:10:10 am »

Looking forward to seeing more.  Any hints on your end-state goals?

If you don't mind, can I ask some questions about where you plan to take this?
Will there be some sort of technological progression as time goes on? For instance, moving on from nuclear reactors to perhaps fusion or antimatter down the line?
How big do you plan for the universe to be? One solar system, or multiple?
Any plans to add a multiplayer component?

The final game will have multiple star system and seamless travel between them. When starting a new game the user will select the year the game start, this will affect the starting tech level. As time progresses every faction will get blueprints for new tech (research?), fusion reactor, matter-antimatter reactor,shields, cloaking devices, faster warp engines. Blueprints can be bought or reversed engineered from salvaged components. There will be also support for fleets.
Another important feature will be the crew that will repair the ship and have skills to improve the ship.
I may also add multiplayer. Not being twitch-based, multiplayer is relatively easy to add.

I want to start a kickstarter campaign to have the resource to work on the game full time and add more ship.
I'm waiting for kickstarter to arrive here in italy but a few days ago they announced they will expand in scandinavia, so i don't think they will arrive here soon. I'm seriously thinking to try with indiegogo.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 02:28:31 am »

Did you load ammunition? Are you at an alert level at which they are online? Did you put turret engines on them?
Yes, yes, and yes.

I did nothing of anything. Got killed by first pirate wave.
Try sandbox mode on easy. There are help messages and the ship starts with some weapons. Also read the guide (F11).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 02:43:18 am »

Thanks, I absolutely missed the guide.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 03:15:58 am »

Forgot to mention, for an experiment I added Uranus and Neptune to the Sol system to see if they'd show up. They do, yay. They have proper mass values and orbits. Here's the .rar if you're interested; I included the Uranus and Neptune textures as well.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22122434/Sol.rar

To have the planet textured you must also modify Data/Scripts/Planets.material.
The gravity simulation is too realistic for now. The ships are affected by every planet, so adding 2 planet will reduce performance, though not noticeable unless there are big swarms of missile flying.
You can define them as "Moon" to not generate gravity.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 05:33:21 pm »

I want to start a kickstarter campaign to have the resource to work on the game full time and add more ship.

Might be worth dropping a line to the guy who tried to run the Torchships kickstarter.  It was a pretty bad failure, and I think he is in a pretty similar market niche as this.

http://torchships.com/

He might have some insight and be willing to share the feedback he got.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 05:41:32 pm »

well they didn't have anything playable and tried to sell an idea with no backing meat, for one.

their tech demo video has little more than pretty view which are quite little mouse work in unity, nothing in the way of menu and logic (where the real difficulty is)

this battelship commander has that fleshed out which is by no means little work.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 02:18:54 am »

I think i am in a niche a bit bigger. I don't exclude sci-fi technology and i have a sandbox gameplay. And also a playable version.
Instead i am worried by indiegogo popularity.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 04:49:23 am »

Well, this game is really, really fun, but sadly after I play for anywhere between an hour to a few hours, I get a "invalid UTF-8 sequence header value" and it crashes on me. Other than that, I am really excited for new features and stuff to be added, and I'm having a blast blowing up enemy ships.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 10:40:31 am »

I'm sorry for the bug. Has appeared some weeks ago but i have not yet found it. Do you remember what you were doing when it crashed?
You can quickly recover credits using devmode.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 01:50:23 pm »

finally got some ship shooting!

now, I see my turrets have quite different chance to hit from each hoter, I guess turret motors are a factor here, but I don't understand their stat, how do they work?

edit:
uhm, no still cannot understand how the starting top turret gets a higher chance to hit. checked turret engines and they look all equal
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:17:27 pm by LoSboccacc »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 02:22:21 pm »

Different weapons or ammo loaded?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2014, 03:10:37 pm »

Different weapons or ammo loaded?

aha! thanks for the pointer. one of them has sabot the other has ap, that will be it

thanks!!!!!

got the utf 8 invalid header error message. was warping after having refitted my ship to 4 heavy turrets with 50mm cannons, two more fuel tanks and rearranged the capacitor to be on front. mounted an rtg, then warped

shortly before crashing, all ship disappeared from radar

edit2
well, found this in the ogre forums, common cause and common engine hints at this happening because some screen message has unprintable characters
http://ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69104
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:30:18 pm by LoSboccacc »

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 05:58:34 am »

I just released a new version, the bug *should* be fixed now.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 06:59:08 am »

The game sounds interesting. Any spinal weapon options?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18