Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429674 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3810 on: August 26, 2020, 12:30:56 pm »

Sounds like the officers were shouting "Drop the knife!" to Jacob Blake before he was shot.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/K0DSTV7XT1E?start=10&end=17
(Link should hopefully cause the video to end before the shooting.)

Looks like Blake was holding something in his left hand, but it's not clear what:

Seems like Blake had been charged with some things 2015, which were later dropped. Uncertain if the cops had been aware of these when they shot him.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 12:36:17 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: August 26, 2020, 12:55:38 pm »

So is any of that actually relevant to cops shooting a man seven times in the back and paralyzing him from the waist down? Other than maybe to establish at worst he might have had a knife (or car keys, or I'unno fucking anything or nothing) in one hand, something that doesn't even bloody remotely warrant being shot seven times in the back?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: August 26, 2020, 01:10:24 pm »

So is any of that actually relevant to cops shooting a man seven times in the back and paralyzing him from the waist down? Other than maybe to establish at worst he might have had a knife (or car keys, or I'unno fucking anything or nothing) in one hand, something that doesn't even bloody remotely warrant being shot seven times in the back?

If the cops thought he was going to stab the children in the car.

If the cops thought he was fetching a firearm from the car.

(I'm sure police training dictates that "the guy disobeying commands and leaning into his car is probably grabbing a gun", regardless.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 01:18:22 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: August 26, 2020, 02:48:42 pm »

If the cops thought he was going to stab the children in the car.

If the cops thought he was fetching a firearm from the car.

(I'm sure police training dictates that "the guy disobeying commands and leaning into his car is probably grabbing a gun", regardless.)
I dunno mate, there's a lot of things in my car. I've leaned in to grab my wallet without prompting real scrambly like, didn't get shot. Plus, ya know, the whole "point blank" thing is kinda entirely bullshit because by that point you may as well use any other restraint.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: August 26, 2020, 03:33:35 pm »

I dunno mate, there's a lot of things in my car. I've leaned in to grab my wallet without prompting real scrambly like, didn't get shot. Plus, ya know, the whole "point blank" thing is kinda entirely bullshit because by that point you may as well use any other restraint.

Nobody gets shot until they do. Police shoot around a dozen ~50 unarmed* people per year in the US. You're still taking the gamble.

Apparently he was hit and tased before he ran to the car, to no effect.

*Note: Trying to run somebody over with your vehicle counts as "unarmed".
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:06:26 pm by Bumber »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: August 26, 2020, 04:19:04 pm »

Nobody gets shot until they do. Police shoot around a dozen unarmed* people per year in the US. You're still taking the gamble.

Apparently he was hit and tased before he ran to the car, to no effect.

*Note: Trying to run somebody over with your vehicle counts as "unarmed".
But you see, Bumber, the point is that a lot of police training on "what is a threat" is super fearmongery.

And if you're close enough to grab someone's shirt, you're close enough to restrain them non-lethally.

Edit: well, per the Washington Post's Fatal Force database, 55 people were shot who were known to be unarmed, with more "unknown".
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:21:45 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: August 26, 2020, 04:21:34 pm »

And if you're close enough to grab someone's shirt, you're close enough to restrain them non-lethally.
Gonna be honest, that sounds a lot like the opinion of someone who hasn't tried.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: August 26, 2020, 04:22:46 pm »

Gonna be honest, that sounds a lot like the opinion of someone who hasn't tried.
Is it too much to ask that police should know how to subdue someone without shooting them?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: August 26, 2020, 04:23:33 pm »

He wasn’t running to the car, he was waltzing nonchalantly around his vehicle trailing two cops with drawn weapons.

Chances are he was holding car keys. They way they move in that gif, ain’t no knife that moves like that. Either he’s holding it by the blade, or he’s letting the blade hit his hand.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: August 26, 2020, 04:36:20 pm »

The Kenosha police have no idea who the shooter might be. It's a complete mystery. Anyone know where they might find him, he's shown here, on the left.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: August 26, 2020, 04:39:00 pm »

Is it too much to ask that police should know how to subdue someone without shooting them?
Cops and their supporters would like you to think it is, as near as I've noticed.

I think we'd probably be well off just assuming medical professionals and non-cops that work with the violently unwell without access to firearms are just some kind of superhuman flesh robots, and we shouldn't expect such impossible standards of behavior for mere police. The licence to kill without repercussion saps the root of your strength, you see. That's how reality works, somehow or another. say it with me now, step one-of-many, qualified immunity needs to go die in a fire

The Kenosha police have no idea who the shooter might be. It's a complete mystery. Anyone know where they might find him, he's shown here, on the left.
Wait, I thought they arrested the shit like a state away after he casually strolled through the police line and left the scene?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: August 26, 2020, 04:46:10 pm »

Yes, he has been arrested. Right wingers need to stop dragging kids into this BS, the guy is 17.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/26/jacob-blake-shooting-gun-battle-in-kenosha-on-third-night-of-unrest

And yes, he did walk straight through a police line, unmolested, after the shooting. They were almost certainly close enough to hear shots fired, too.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: August 26, 2020, 05:02:31 pm »

Yes, he has been arrested. Right wingers need to stop dragging kids into this BS, the guy is 17.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/26/jacob-blake-shooting-gun-battle-in-kenosha-on-third-night-of-unrest

And yes, he did walk straight through a police line, unmolested, after the shooting. They were almost certainly close enough to hear shots fired, too.

The police were also giving water to the white supremacist gathering he was part of shortly before the shooting. Got to keep those child soldiers hydrated.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: August 26, 2020, 05:06:19 pm »

The police were also giving water to the white supremacist gathering he was part of shortly before the shooting. Got to keep those child soldiers hydrated.
... They are categorically not white supremacists.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: August 26, 2020, 05:24:20 pm »

... They are categorically not white supremacists.
I mean, we don't know that? It was a mainly social media organized group of people, and the militia movement has some notable links to white supremacist elements in places. I don't think *this guy* was, but the language the group was throwing around on social media suggests some were present.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 295