Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429590 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3840 on: September 12, 2020, 10:25:52 pm »

His last word was that he agreed that it was technically illegal due to carrying the gun against state lines "that he didn't know was illegal"
I don't know who told you this, but he didn't actually carry any gun across state lines. It turned out he obtained the gun in-state, borrowing it from someone else.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: September 12, 2020, 10:42:16 pm »

Yes, he picked the gun up from a friend of his.  Still illegally.
And?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: September 12, 2020, 10:45:47 pm »

Yes, he picked the gun up from a friend of his.  Still illegally.
And?
And... he didn't carry it across state lines? That's all.

Hey, if you ever come to New York, though, I'll let you borrow one of my guns. It would be entirely legal for both of us.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:55:16 pm by Maximum Spin »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: September 12, 2020, 11:02:35 pm »

‘tis illegal for a minor to openly carry a gun in Wisconsin.

Also to shoot people, I guess.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: September 13, 2020, 03:45:25 am »

Also to shoot people, I guess.

"This isn't juggling, this is misdirection!"

Also, when I saw "Destiny stream" I assumed it was the game and was unfortunately unsurprised to hear that people were doing politically charged FPS streams.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: September 13, 2020, 04:30:33 am »

Further research revealed that this doesn't apply to rifles. (Or shotguns.)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3846 on: September 13, 2020, 05:01:27 am »

I hope automatic rifles are a different category, what else is left otherwise? Revolvers? The legality of the weapon doesn’t really matter much though, as he went to a protest he was opposed to armed, which reeks of ill intent, and was then willfully ignored by the police after having shot three people. It’s all rotten.

But hey, maybe an intent to threaten people that you’ll shoot them is not the same as an intent to actually do it. /s

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: September 13, 2020, 05:17:05 am »

I hope automatic rifles are a different category, what else is left otherwise? Revolvers?
No, it isn't. But what is left would be "literally any handgun", which is what most gun laws were designed for in the first place. Long guns are virtually unregulated even where I live, in a state that does not like the second amendment.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 05:19:53 am by Maximum Spin »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: September 13, 2020, 08:56:34 am »

Only if the minor is hunting, though I will concede the legislation is not very clear on that point.

His defense team (and so many commentators) consider that important because if that law doesn’t apply, he was breaking the law and thus can’t say his actions were self-defense, all other things aside.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: September 13, 2020, 09:51:38 am »

"Your honor, Wisconsin state law clearly says that if a hunter, above the age of 12, is carrying a rifle for the reasons of hunting, it is within their rights to do so. So I ask you, what animal is more dangerous than the liberal? Clearly my client was hunting leftists."

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: September 13, 2020, 10:10:13 am »

Is it wrong that I imagined that being said in an Elmer Fudd voice?

shitpost over

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: September 13, 2020, 11:45:41 am »

Is it wrong that I imagined that being said in an Elmer Fudd voice?

shitpost over

"Yowona, Wisconsin state waw cweawy says that if a hunta, above the age of twewve, is cawwying  a wifoh fo’ the weasons  of hunting, it is within theiw wights to do so. So I ask you, what cweachuh is mo’ dangerous than the wab- uh, wibewaws? Cweawy my cwient has the wight to expect othas to be vewy, vewy quiet whiwe he hunts weftists, hahaha."

Ftfy, I guess.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: September 13, 2020, 02:38:00 pm »

Only if the minor is hunting, though I will concede the legislation is not very clear on that point.

His defense team (and so many commentators) consider that important because if that law doesn’t apply, he was breaking the law and thus can’t say his actions were self-defense, all other things aside.
The law, 948.60(3)(c), only says that he must be in violation of the 941.28 short-barrel law (which he wasn't since it wasn't a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun), or non-compliant with 29.304 (only applies age 16 or younger) or non-compliant with 29.593, in order for him to be guilty of possession of a dangerous weapon by a minor.

29.593 requires one to have a certificate of accomplishment in order to obtain hunting approval. This more or less means 29.593 only applies when hunting.

So seeing as he wasn't in violation of the short-barrel law, nor can he be non-compliant with the other mentioned laws, then that means it was legal for him to possess the firearm.

Not that that has any bearing on his self-defense claim.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: September 13, 2020, 03:01:20 pm »

Yeah, the law doesn't actually say that it "only [applies] if the minor is hunting"; that's just something people have been making up.

Given that section (3)(c) only specifically says that it applies to the minor, the person who gave the gun to him could still be guilty of a class H felony under (2)(b) and (c), but the rule of lenity would clearly apply here.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: September 13, 2020, 03:31:17 pm »

Yeah, the law doesn't actually say that it "only [applies] if the minor is hunting"; that's just something people have been making up.

Given that section (3)(c) only specifically says that it applies to the minor, the person who gave the gun to him could still be guilty of a class H felony under (2)(b) and (c), but the rule of lenity would clearly apply here.
The person who transferred the firearm is also covered by 948.60(3)(c). It's the next sentence:

"This section applies only to an adult who transfers a firearm to a person under 18 years of age if the person under 18 years of age is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593 or to an adult who is in violation of s. 941.28."
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 295