Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 430979 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2835 on: June 01, 2020, 09:46:29 am »

I mean, dude reacted to "people in front of me" with "guess I'll keep going, then". Maybe he wasn't trying to be as murderous as he could have been but "accident" goes out the window when you're driving towards a crowd of people.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: June 01, 2020, 10:01:36 am »

So how about that push to blame it all on antifa and declare it a terrorist organization while at the same time downplaying the issues in the police as a few bad apples and there clearly not being any right-wing shit-stirring and violence happening as well. You guys think any of that will actually stick? Bah who I am kidding, that shit is made for the rabid orange shitsack fanclub they'll eat it up no problem :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: June 01, 2020, 10:16:55 am »

Make no mistake - if that actually goes beyond Trump's fantasies it's the Enabling Act.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: June 01, 2020, 10:25:10 am »

I mean, dude reacted to "people in front of me" with "guess I'll keep going, then". Maybe he wasn't trying to be as murderous as he could have been but "accident" goes out the window when you're driving towards a crowd of people.
I can think of e.g. a guy going on a road at full speed, unaware of it being closed or there being protesters, and when he first notices them honking to get them to disperse, while slowing down and eventually stopping when he realises he won't get through.
The driver was on the road before it was closed, and it looks like the protestors were around a bend. He could have been taken off guard and panicked. Despite what the witnesses say, the videos do not show the truck taking up speed, but rather slowing down way before where the crowd was.

Compare this to people driving cars with actual intent to kill, as e.g. on the London bridge three years ago.

All I'm saying is there's enough evidence to suspect a simple human fuckup to delay accusations of intent at this stage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: June 01, 2020, 10:42:23 am »

So how about that push to blame it all on antifa and declare it a terrorist organization while at the same time downplaying the issues in the police as a few bad apples and there clearly not being any right-wing shit-stirring and violence happening as well. You guys think any of that will actually stick? Bah who I am kidding, that shit is made for the rabid orange shitsack fanclub they'll eat it up no problem :I

Wrote up my opinion on that elsewhere yesterday.  Just going to paste it here for you.

Trump has tweeted that Antifa is going to be designated a terrorist organization.  Except there is no organization called Antifa.  It doesn't exist.  Just like there is no organization called Black Bloc.

Black Bloc is a tactical group approach to participation in protest that protects one's identity and facilitates mutual support in avoiding arrest.  Antifa is short for anti-fascist and is a label for actions and strategies intended to counter the growth of fascism. 

When people refer to Black Bloc or Antifa as an organization, it either means that they have no idea what they're talking about, or it is wholesale indiscriminate demonization of anarchists and leftists.  Because it's easier to stoke hysteria against an entire half of the political spectrum by lumping it together with an easily misunderstood aesthetic (clothes that are practical for safety in a protest environment) and appropriating terminology incorrectly to make it seem like anyone who associates with such language is part of some monolithic entity characterized by that aesthetic.

This is nothing new.  Leftist activism has been treated like terrorism in the USA for decades.  I would even venture to say that it's the primary reason the whole post-9/11 police state was set up.  I read endless accounts throughout the 2000's straight on through Occupy of war on terror law and enforcement apparatus being used to crush peaceful activism and adversarial political engagement.  Legal terminology defining terrorist or terrorist activity was intentionally left wide-open and vague for this specific purpose.

So in terms of mechanisms, I don't think this means anything.  Everyone's in the same place they've been for the past 20 years.  But it is likely a signal that a big shakedown is coming.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: June 01, 2020, 11:12:15 am »

Things definitely seem to be shaking up around here. I'm not saying Alabama is going much further left than Biden, but I'm starting to get the feeling that the dissatisfaction is enough that one misplaced (not to say any of them really have a place) Trump tweet about protesters here could possibly result in a lot less one sided election results. I imagine the state will still go Trump in November, but there is definitely a loss of faith, especially with all of this coming right after the pandemic fumbling.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: June 01, 2020, 11:32:37 am »

I 100% agree that thinking antifa should be declared terrorists is outrageous and morally and a ridiculous overstep of the designation, and goes against all kinds of basic human rights (speech/opiniation, assembly, organisation/activism), but claiming antifa isn't a group identity and/or a network because there's no literal organisation called antifa is like claiming there's no such thing as the alt-right because there's no group going around with that literal name.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: June 01, 2020, 11:39:11 am »

Nobody is saying antifa is not a political affiliation, indeed that is exactly the point. You don't get how much the American right seriously believes that there's a capital-A Antifa with a leader like Osama Bin Laden 2.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 12:34:04 pm by Iduno »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: June 01, 2020, 12:04:50 pm »

In Athens yesterday there was a huge turnout for protests. Stayed peaceful the whole time, got broken up by armed police and national guard.

Y'know, I'm feeling an awful lot of hatred right now, and I don't think it's gonna get any better for us anytime soon.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: June 01, 2020, 12:08:20 pm »

I 100% agree that thinking antifa should be declared terrorists is outrageous and morally and a ridiculous overstep of the designation, and goes against all kinds of basic human rights (speech/opiniation, assembly, organisation/activism), but claiming antifa isn't a group identity and/or a network because there's no literal organisation called antifa is like claiming there's no such thing as the alt-right because there's no group going around with that literal name.

The point is there is no membership to target with terrorism charges.  There is no objective determination as to whether someone is capital-A Antifa or not.  Which means it's going to be used to target people who use certain language, match a certain aesthetic, or hold certain political beliefs loosely associated with a vague generalization of what Antifa is.

The same way War on Terror laws were not drafted with strict specifications as to how someone is determined to be a terrorist and what is a terrorist activity, which enabled those laws to be used to make leftist activists targets for surveillance and harassment.

Also, I think your comparison to the alt-right isn't very valid, as their group affiliation is defined by sharing a whole set of political beliefs and goals.  They have a shared vision for how they would like society to be that has far-reaching implications into every aspect of life, and consequently the definition of what constitutes an alt-right person is reasonably narrow.  Still not narrow enough that labeling them a terrorist organization would be legally sensible, mind, but much closer.

But antifa is not a whole set of political beliefs, and the only shared goal is to stop the growth of fascism.  Affiliation with capital-A Antifa is impossible to narrowly define.  There may be groups and networks formed around that goal, and they may even use names for themselves that include the word Antifa.  But there is no broader scale organization, and no broader set of shared political beliefs.  No vision for the world to pursue beyond "no fascism pls".  Any attempt to define affiliation with capital-A Antifa would also have to blanket over every single person who supported the Allies in WW2.  Not exactly useful as far as legal standards of definition go.

It's more like calling Environmentalism an organization.  There's groups and networks of environmentalists.  There's a shared identity in caring about the environment.  But I don't think any sane person would call Environmentalism and organization for any legal purpose in a way that makes any sense.  Any legal attempt would result in anyone who expresses concern for the environment being potentially subject to those laws, which is a vast range of varying people who will mostly be not affiliated with each other in any meaningful fashion at all. 

And that's exactly the intended result with trying to claim Antifa is an organization.  Cast as wide a net as you can get away with.  Drag in every fish you can.  Keep the ones you want.  Make any fish you don't like go extinct.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 12:10:45 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: June 01, 2020, 12:13:05 pm »

I was thinking about this earlier: the word "fascism" gets misused almost as frequently as "nazi" does.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: June 01, 2020, 12:15:02 pm »

European governments probably not too happy that murrica’s slo-mo trainreck is also affecting them.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: June 01, 2020, 12:16:05 pm »

I was thinking about this earlier: the word "fascism" gets misused almost as frequently as "nazi" does.   

Mainly by fascists.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: June 01, 2020, 12:23:44 pm »

...Wat.   
The left is made up of fascists, now? ???   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 295