Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 430350 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2850 on: June 01, 2020, 12:27:11 pm »

...Wat.   
The left is made up of fascists, now? ???   
According to the right, sure.  Gotta divide best murrica even further.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: June 01, 2020, 12:33:57 pm »

I 100% agree that thinking antifa should be declared terrorists is outrageous and morally and a ridiculous overstep of the designation, and goes against all kinds of basic human rights (speech/opiniation, assembly, organisation/activism), but claiming antifa isn't a group identity and/or a network because there's no literal organisation called antifa is like claiming there's no such thing as the alt-right because there's no group going around with that literal name.

The point is there is no membership to target with terrorism charges.  There is no objective determination as to whether someone is capital-A Antifa or not.  Which means it's going to be used to target people who use certain language, match a certain aesthetic, or hold certain political beliefs loosely associated with a vague generalization of what Antifa is.

The same way War on Terror laws were not drafted with strict specifications as to how someone is determined to be a terrorist and what is a terrorist activity, which enabled those laws to be used to make leftist activists targets for surveillance and harassment.

Also, I think your comparison to the alt-right isn't very valid, as their group affiliation is defined by sharing a whole set of political beliefs and goals.  They have a shared vision for how they would like society to be that has far-reaching implications into every aspect of life, and consequently the definition of what constitutes an alt-right person is reasonably narrow.  Still not narrow enough that labeling them a terrorist organization would be legally sensible, mind, but much closer.

But antifa is not a whole set of political beliefs, and the only shared goal is to stop the growth of fascism.  Affiliation with capital-A Antifa is impossible to narrowly define.  There may be groups and networks formed around that goal, and they may even use names for themselves that include the word Antifa.  But there is no broader scale organization, and no broader set of shared political beliefs.  No vision for the world to pursue beyond "no fascism pls".  Any attempt to define affiliation with capital-A Antifa would also have to blanket over every single person who supported the Allies in WW2.  Not exactly useful as far as legal standards of definition go.

It's more like calling Environmentalism an organization.  There's groups and networks of environmentalists.  There's a shared identity in caring about the environment.  But I don't think any sane person would call Environmentalism and organization for any legal purpose in a way that makes any sense.  Any legal attempt would result in anyone who expresses concern for the environment being potentially subject to those laws, which is a vast range of varying people who will mostly be not affiliated with each other in any meaningful fashion at all. 

And that's exactly the intended result with trying to claim Antifa is an organization.  Cast as wide a net as you can get away with.  Drag in every fish you can.  Keep the ones you want.  Make any fish you don't like go extinct.

Your environmentalism is closer to being the equivalent of alt-right than antifa is. Antifa is a very small movement with a very narrow membership potential. Everybody who is against environmental destruction could be called an environmentalist. Only a fraction of everybody who is against fascism could ever be called antifa.

European governments probably not too happy that murrica’s slo-mo trainreck is also affecting them.

You know...
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: June 01, 2020, 12:37:43 pm »

...Wat.   

Haven't you heard? The most fascist thing to happen in the last 50 years is being forced to wear masks in public places.

They call it "Living in Fear".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: June 01, 2020, 12:41:44 pm »

...Wat.   

Haven't you heard? The most fascist thing to happen in the last 50 years is being forced to wear masks in public places.

They call it "Living in Fear".
Masks are needing to be worn to protect people from Coronavirus, which is still very much a thing despite people reopening businesses.

European governments probably not too happy that murrica’s slo-mo trainreck is also affecting them.

You know...
what’s with the ellipsis?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: June 01, 2020, 12:44:05 pm »

Masks are needing to be worn to protect people from Coronavirus, which is still very much a thing despite people reopening businesses.

I was being deeply sarcastic Naturegirl, sorry for the deadpan.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: June 01, 2020, 01:02:21 pm »

I was being deeply sarcastic Naturegirl, sorry for the deadpan.
i thought you were saying that some people think the wearing masks is overboard, I’ve been to the COVID 19 thread and there were apparently people not wearing masks and protesting the lockdowns and such. I know you know that wearing masks is important

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: June 01, 2020, 01:03:30 pm »

You know...
what’s with the ellipsis?

I was going to correct him on how ggamer probably meant an Athens in the USA and not the real Athens in Greece but then I realised Zangi probably knew that and was just joking on how it made it sound like like the protests had spread to Europe. So then I removed the text and was going to make a joke on European leaders not being happy about US politics affecting them, but it kinda pewtered out with no joke.
Love, scriver~

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: June 01, 2020, 01:06:39 pm »

Seeing America in chaos is scary for us, honestly.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: June 01, 2020, 01:14:37 pm »

Only a fraction of everybody who is against fascism could ever be called antifascist.

We all know half of your thing is being troll, but do you even read the words you type? Antifa is just short for Anti-fascist, so that fraction you mention is 1/1.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: June 01, 2020, 01:20:01 pm »

was just joking on how it made it sound like like the protests had spread to Europe.
Seems like the protests did spread to Europe
Maybe not to the level of looting and burning tho
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: June 01, 2020, 01:22:15 pm »

Seeing America in chaos is scary for us, honestly.
If it helps, not all of America is in chaos, the town I’m in isn’t in chaos yet, for example

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: June 01, 2020, 01:23:39 pm »

The scariest part of that statement is the need to say yet.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: June 01, 2020, 01:23:58 pm »

If it helps, not all of America is in chaos, the town I’m in isn’t in chaos yet, for example
Soon
Soon
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: June 01, 2020, 01:26:44 pm »

The scariest part of that statement is the need to say yet.
well, I can’t predict the future, for all I know it might not come here, though knowing chaos it doesn’t die down easily

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: June 01, 2020, 01:32:30 pm »

Only a fraction of everybody who is against fascism could ever be called antifascist.

We all know half of your thing is being troll

Pot, the kettle is over there

was just joking on how it made it sound like like the protests had spread to Europe.
Seems like the protests did spread to Europe
Maybe not to the level of looting and burning tho

If people in Europe rioted over something that happened to Americans in America I would be very disappointed. Now instead I can laugh about Germans thinking they're the centre of the world, as usual. The memorials are a nice touch though, I hope they've done something similar in Stockholm.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 295