Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428032 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1605 on: February 14, 2016, 08:09:40 pm »

Why do you think we like to own guns? :P

And what does that do for you?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: February 14, 2016, 08:12:23 pm »

Dunno, probably lots of literally shooting ourselves in the foot.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: February 14, 2016, 08:15:26 pm »

So what do you do in the USA anyways when the watchmen self defence themselves on your face?
Hopefully win the civil case, assuming you're still alive. If not, well, maybe your family can afford to prosecute and at least get something for your next of kin/cover medical/funeral costs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: February 14, 2016, 08:17:03 pm »

I've seen stories where the homeowner has killed one or two of the SWAT officers who no-knocked them thinking they were burglars. That might mean something to some of them, I guess. Such situations aren't good for anyone, really, but if you're gonna do the time...

So what do you do in the USA anyways when the watchmen self defence themselves on your face?
Hopefully win the civil case, assuming you're still alive. If not, well, maybe your family can afford to prosecute and at least get something for your next of kin/cover medical/funeral costs.

It's pretty much this one. A lot of times the city will settle out of court with you/your next of kin to avoid the bad press that would result if the media should bring its attention to your court case.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:18:46 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1609 on: February 14, 2016, 08:22:32 pm »

I've seen stories where the homeowner has killed one or two of the SWAT officers who no-knocked them thinking they were burglars. That might mean something to some of them, I guess. Such situations aren't good for anyone, really, but if you're gonna do the time...
I've seen a few of those too, but the only times I've seen people get away with shooting a LEO of some kind in a no-knock raid was when they raided the wrong house they had a warrant for, killing a LEO in a no-knock raid they had the correct warrant for goes down a lot worse assuming they don't shoot you (with the most famous case being that ex-marine who didn't fire a single shot but was killed anyways with the police claiming he opened fire)
It's not really a long term solution though

It's pretty much this one. A lot of times the city will settle out of court with you/your next of kin to avoid the bad press that would result if the media should bring its attention to your court case.
Do the police pay any of the damages or is it always covered by the state or city?

*EDIT
One thing that puzzles me is how America has a good reputation for being able to sue the shit out of people with punitive damages on top but why does it fall short with the po abuse cases?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:27:26 pm by Loud Whispers »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: February 14, 2016, 08:28:09 pm »

*EDIT
One thing that puzzles me is how America has a good reputation for being able to sue the shit out of people with punitive damages on top but why does it fall short with the po abuse cases?
Freedom, Liberty and Safety, for our cops first.  (They can do no wrong.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: February 14, 2016, 08:30:10 pm »

Do the police pay any of the damages or is it always covered by the state or city?

*EDIT

Nope, it's the city.

And the police are given a good deal of legal protection to keep them from being bogged down by spurious lawsuits. The rest of the legal system is biased in more unofficial ways toward them as well, or at least that's the perception.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: February 15, 2016, 03:12:14 am »

Unfortunately, once you are noticed by them, you can't do anything now except swallow your pride, swallow their jizz, or try to ignore them; anything to get them to go away without taking any of your stuff or using violence against you really...
with the Patriot act and other anti-terrorism/drug laws in the last 20 years, the law enforcement AKA watchmen & hand-of-the-rulers
can do just about anything they want to the average person in the U.S.
I don't even mean that they can lie and get away with it, which they can, I mean they have a ton of legal system backup
which they can use to say things like "oh we needed to spy on them, go on their property or search them, without a warrant because of ... whatever."

The only little bit of defense people have that I have heard of now, is knowing the fine print of the laws,
 and then making it known that you know them when the watchmen come and try to violate your rights.
Also videoing any encounters with the watchmen helps.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:16:42 am by Chaosegg »
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: February 15, 2016, 03:16:16 am »

Far as I can tell, nothing. Can't really do anything to hurt them that doesn't involve excessive escalation by them, which the average person can't afford.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: February 15, 2016, 09:48:11 am »

The only meaningful active (vs reactive) thing to do is escalate in proportion, and that typically ends with you dead. Not all cops are bad, but the institutions rot them away and departments are full of fuckers who want a monopoly on violence but are too cowardly/self-serving/unfit to join the military.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1615 on: February 15, 2016, 01:18:19 pm »

Wow that's pretty fucked

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: February 15, 2016, 01:24:02 pm »

I suppose if you suicide bomb the police station you can come out on top in body count at least.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: February 15, 2016, 01:47:18 pm »

I suppose if you suicide bomb the police station you can come out on top in body count at least.
Police stations(that can afford/fit it) across the States will then have a highly fortified lobby.  Interlopers will be searched as if the police station was an Airport, but without any of the constraints.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: February 15, 2016, 07:18:29 pm »

Wow that's pretty fucked
Yeah, unbelievably so.  Impossibly even.  It's almost like it's completely absurd.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1619 on: February 16, 2016, 01:56:46 pm »

I do appreciate how everyone talks about being killed by police for no reason as they would talk about tolerating bad weather, it is a very absurd situation. Is there not some future Obama platforming on not killing you for no reason?
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 295