Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428042 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1590 on: January 14, 2016, 12:42:44 am »

Man, that's some bullshit.

Unfortunately institutional corruption tends to go like that. My sympathies for your co-worker's daughter.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: January 24, 2016, 02:01:01 pm »

Officer pulls over a motorcyclist for passing cars in a no-passing zone.  When the guy stops, he hits him with his vehicle, points a gun at him gangster-style, and breaks some bones with a kick to the chest.

And then gets promoted to captain.

Anti-cop website link that describes the full story
Local news link that corroborates the major points
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1592 on: January 24, 2016, 02:04:17 pm »

In a laughable testimony, Edwards admitted that Wilkens was complying with his commands prior to unleashing the kick, but that he couldn’t stop his kick as he “already had the muscles fired” in his right leg.

As if claiming his leg has a mind of his own wasn’t bad enough, Edwards then attempted to tell the jury that the same thing happened to his brakes, which is why he ran over Wilkens. In spite of the video clearly showing no attempt to brake prior to his car ramming Wilkens, Edwards claimed that he “accidentally bumped” the motorcycle as a result of “brake fade” — a term to describe overheated brakes on older model vehicles.
Well at least he has a better excuse than that police officer who charged that lady with breaking his hand on her face

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: January 28, 2016, 08:02:45 pm »

Bill sponsor Republican Rep. Kevin Mahan of Hartford City says the proposal limits the release of body camera video, but allows anyone to seek a court order for the video if they can prove that releasing it is in the public interest and won't cause harm.
So they'd have to prove that without knowing the contents of the video? Smooth.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 28, 2016, 08:07:52 pm »

Also what constitutes harm? The shitlord cop getting fired because of it? In that case the only videos eligible for public release would be ones who don't show anything.

I think the best bet you guys have right now is to have constant livestreaming cameras everywhere so nothing ever gets missed.

Funny that, gotta go full big brother to protect yourself from the big brother :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: January 28, 2016, 08:35:55 pm »

I want out of this state so fucking bad.
Wow, absolutely fucking despicable.

I mean... yeah, I can imagine cases where it might actually be harmful to release footage.  But Helgoland's exactly right, it's ludicrous for it to work this way.  It should be the opposite:  The cops saying "No, seriously, this particular footage is harmful."  And having to defend that in front of a judge or other outside authority.

This sort of thing is a valid reason to distrust the police.  Which just feeds the vicious cycle...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: January 28, 2016, 09:02:58 pm »

I want out of this state so fucking bad.
Wow, absolutely fucking despicable.

I mean... yeah, I can imagine cases where it might actually be harmful to release footage.  But Helgoland's exactly right, it's ludicrous for it to work this way.  It should be the opposite:  The cops saying "No, seriously, this particular footage is harmful."  And having to defend that in front of a judge or other outside authority.

This sort of thing is a valid reason to distrust the police.  Which just feeds the vicious cycle...

There's plenty of valid reasons to distrust the police in my state.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: January 29, 2016, 10:28:44 am »

Short form. Cop shows up for domestic disturbance. Kills a teen (four shots in the back) and shoots the downstairs neighbor (apparently accidentally). Now suing the teen's estate for assault and emotional distress.  There... are no words.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: January 29, 2016, 07:12:16 pm »

Short form. Cop shows up for domestic disturbance. Kills a teen (four shots in the back) and shoots the downstairs neighbor (apparently accidentally). Now suing the teen's estate for assault and emotional distress.  There... are no words.
Wha

'He shouldn't have died so violently, dammit! Why wouldn't he just fall over dead all quiet like and shit.'

Why
Wha
I
Wha
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: January 30, 2016, 02:53:09 pm »

Next up: He wins the case, gets promoted, member of family commits suicide, cop blames family and sues them again for defamation of character.

*You hear the echoes of clapping Americans in the distance.*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1601 on: February 05, 2016, 05:44:13 am »

clap clap clap clap clap clap

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: February 14, 2016, 07:27:54 pm »

Your loved one is trying to commit suicide or is being stupidly harmful to themself? 
Who you gonna call?  Definitely not the cops.  Get good friends/neighbors instead.
Yeah. I had an old friend of my wife send the cops to our house because she couldnt get in touch with my wife...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Needless to say, I was rather upset with said 'old friend' and told her, among other things, that she was 'misguided' if she thought sending the police to help someone that she cared about was a good idea.
Anyone who has had to go through any bit of the "justice system" in the U.S. can tell you that... heck, even traffic violation court system is bad.

In all seriousness, your police have a problem. WHY nothing is being done about it is a mystery to me, given how widespread and how it seems an awful lot of people know about it. You'd think the politicians would realise it's generally a good idea to stop some policemen/women being lunatics.
Probably because those same politicians are making the laws that the police are the enforcers of? And let's not forget that government is just a puppet for the real powerblock; the ultra-rich via corps.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:30:31 pm by Chaosegg »
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1603 on: February 14, 2016, 08:01:23 pm »

So what do you do in the USA anyways when the watchmen self defence themselves on your face?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: February 14, 2016, 08:03:58 pm »

Why do you think we like to own guns? :P
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 295