Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799082 times)

clone95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1155 on: February 17, 2015, 10:34:09 pm »

Are Necron Tombs/STC Fragments still inoperable?

How do I get them if they are now?

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 17, 2015, 10:36:54 pm »

I have to ask, are Necron ships horribly destructive as they are in the fluff? Because I remember reading about single ships facing ridiculous odds and coming up on top. So a Necron fleet should be able to trounce anything in the quadrant with no~minimal causalities. Are they that dangerous in Chapter Master? And if so, how the heck is that going to be balanced enough to be fun?
Their ships are roughly as strong as the players but are produced a little less than half as fast as Orks.

Are Necron Tombs/STC Fragments still inoperable?
Awake Tombs can be plasma bombed and STC Fragments have been recoverable by Techmarines for several patches now.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 18, 2015, 12:29:15 am »

That is terrifying

Especially because of how freaking hard Tomb Worlds are to stop once they really rev up.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 18, 2015, 09:06:04 am »

Yeah, I'll rather have a fun game than a game following tabletop rules. Especially as the tabletop rules don't always follow the fluff anyway.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 18, 2015, 09:24:38 am »

I finished the penitence crusade, bought two recruiting worlds, and set recruitment to max speed, but I'm still not getting any Neophytes. Is it because my original recruiting world's population is at 0?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 18, 2015, 09:34:46 am »

Obvious question, sorry - do you have geneseed? I presume you do.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 18, 2015, 09:37:10 am »

I finished the penitence crusade, bought two recruiting worlds, and set recruitment to max speed, but I'm still not getting any Neophytes. Is it because my original recruiting world's population is at 0?

Yes. Probably.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 18, 2015, 09:54:14 am »

Obvious question, sorry - do you have geneseed? I presume you do.

Enough for 3 full companies.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 18, 2015, 11:10:36 am »

Do you plan to give marines oodles of personality and background?
I think a few 'types' of marines would be fun, perhaps 2-4 different facets.  Like 1/10th of the marines have the 'bloodthirst' trait that makes them slightly more likely to feast on fallen foes.  Other marines may have traits that make them hate when their brothers do this, while others may be encouraged to join them.  Certain marines may get morale/attack bonus/mallus when fighting different races as they deem them a terrifying/unworthy foe.

It should be things that mostly get pushed into the background ambiance, where things sort of happen and trends emerge, but overall is just a theme and not a detailed issue.
This is possible in the future but will need a lot of work.
If you're looking into personalities, rather than giving everyone traits (though that might be worth it if it were easy) it would be good to make your command squad into a KoDP-style peanut gallery for events and things. They already do this a little in the UI elements, after all, even if there's no variation across plays or anything.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 18, 2015, 11:32:35 am »

Why not both? (Obviously, the work involved, but I don't see troop-level marine personalities and Chapter Leadership ala KoDP style being mutually exclusive.)

Although to really live up to KoDP, it would require a lot of additional features. Just having Chapter Leadership barks in reaction to events probably wouldn't be too hard.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:35:03 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 18, 2015, 03:37:35 pm »

On the one hand, they're only a thousand of the extraordinary creme de la creme of trillions who live for at least 100's of years. On the other hand a 1000! brainwashed zealots.

I'd be happy with a pool of traits for every marine which is added to according to rank and your actions as chapter master, with a few exceptions to make the rule. Extra special traits for those who predate your ascension to chapter master.

A lot of a marines personality should come into play in exceptional circumstances; they're cut off, outgunned, the inquisitions knocking, they're fighting alongside unusual allies etc. Anything to keep you interested in such a disciplined force.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 19, 2015, 11:59:52 am »

Why not both? (Obviously, the work involved, but I don't see troop-level marine personalities and Chapter Leadership ala KoDP style being mutually exclusive.

Although to really live up to KoDP, it would require a lot of additional features. Just having Chapter Leadership barks in reaction to events probably wouldn't be too hard.

OMG a KoDP remake in the WH40k (or DUNE) universe.... I'd probably quit my job to play it MOAR!!!!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 19, 2015, 01:00:48 pm »

I like the KODP gameplay, but honestly the good parts of the gameplay are the same sort of simple 'choose your own adventure' kind of things that you got from much more straightforward games like Castles.

Where KODP really shines is in the lore.  The ring and all that is nice, but it is 1) the constant presentation of meaningful choices and 2) the requirement to read and learn and embody the lore of the game.

I can't see this kind of lore learning happening with a game about space marines.  Maybe with elves or some other blasphemous shit like that.  Or indeed, maybe with Dune.

But the first Dune game already left me with a really satisfied feeling.  And as much as I like more of a good thing, I somehow don't have an urge to date her sister.  I know, weird, right?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 19, 2015, 01:19:48 pm »

I don't know if I exactly agree on the Lore bit. There is lots and lots and lots of Chapter-specific lore the player could learn, particularly for a Chapter like the Dark Angels where even normal battle brothers aren't told the full truth about the Chapter's history and its core mission.

It's just wouldn't be as rich or as lovingly executed. Or maybe it could be, if handled lovingly in some writer's power armor gauntleted fist.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 19, 2015, 01:42:23 pm »

No, I agree, there is plenty of lore.  But how would it be relevant to gameplay?

KODP is based upon HeroQuest / RuneQuest, which in turn is based upon Icelandic society and myth.  Embodying the myth is a big part of it.  You could make a game that is about embodying the ideals of the primearch or whatever, but that isnt really what spacemarineing is about.  You don't get divine benefits by walking the path of your primearch, no mater what the propoganda says.

And even if you DO get divine benefits by walking the path of the god-emperor-of-mankind, that path just isnt nuanced enough to make a good story.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 288