Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798991 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1080 on: February 05, 2015, 02:15:49 am »

Looks like they both kinda stand, as they both cite different but legitimate sources. Although your's is way more neckbeardy, s'true.

Looking at the links, it looks like there's a bit of confusion over the naming - Lexicanum names the Titan/Super-heavy version the Inferno Gun, and the heavy vehicle version the Inferno Cannon.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 05, 2015, 09:35:12 am »

Just say no to exploring the ruins, land another group, say no...until you're ready.
Oh, thank you :)

Bah, everyone knows 1d4wiki is the best wiki on Warhamster. Lexicanum takes itself too seriously and taking itself seriously is where Grimhammer 40k went wrong to begin with.
To some people sure, but to others (people like me) taking it seriously makes it a much more enjoyable experience.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 05, 2015, 09:53:12 am »

Is there ever anything besides a bit of requisition in those ruins? 

I dont think that I've ever found artifacts or items of interest in them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 05, 2015, 11:35:48 am »

I think I've gotten an STC fragment out of them, back when they didn't do anything. I also recall get a Chaos Artifact after thrashing some cultists.

But generally just req.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 05, 2015, 12:24:49 pm »

Just say no to exploring the ruins, land another group, say no...until you're ready.
Oh, thank you :)

Bah, everyone knows 1d4wiki is the best wiki on Warhamster. Lexicanum takes itself too seriously and taking itself seriously is where Grimhammer 40k went wrong to begin with.
To some people sure, but to others (people like me) taking it seriously makes it a much more enjoyable experience.

+1

besides Lexicanum doesn't take itself too seriously. They just try to be as uniform as possible. The Orkiness of Orks is not lost in the spiraling wikibyss.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 05, 2015, 01:39:26 pm »

Is there ever anything besides a bit of requisition in those ruins? 

I dont think that I've ever found artifacts or items of interest in them.

Apparently it's possible to find an ancient starship inside and restore it with Techmarines and req.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 05, 2015, 02:25:58 pm »

Do you plan to give marines oodles of personality and background?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 05, 2015, 03:16:18 pm »

I dunno. I thought about this. While it seems poised for DF levels of detail, what makes DF is work is the scope of the sim, where those personalities can shine.

CM is still a strategic war game. So I don't know how much mileage you get out of that. Some loose personalities traits might be fun, but anything too complicated might get lost in the noise.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:25:39 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 05, 2015, 03:45:55 pm »

I think a few 'types' of marines would be fun, perhaps 2-4 different facets.  Like 1/10th of the marines have the 'bloodthirst' trait that makes them slightly more likely to feast on fallen foes.  Other marines may have traits that make them hate when their brothers do this, while others may be encouraged to join them.  Certain marines may get morale/attack bonus/mallus when fighting different races as they deem them a terrifying/unworthy foe.

It should be things that mostly get pushed into the background ambiance, where things sort of happen and trends emerge, but overall is just a theme and not a detailed issue.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 05, 2015, 04:32:50 pm »

But aren't those spacemarines formatted by years of training/brainwashing in order to get them being perfect "don't think but kill for the emperor" troops ?

I can see a captain/chaplain/high rank guys having some kind of personality so the other spacemarines may look up to him in awe ( "For the Emperor and for The Guy With A Personality !" ) , but i imagine if a non-ranked spacemarine display some level of individuality a bit too much or even worse may start to not follow the chapter master/captain/etc.. orders to the very letter, it could be easily percieved as some chaos taint/heretic thought or whatever else.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 05, 2015, 04:47:51 pm »

But aren't those spacemarines formatted by years of training/brainwashing in order to get them being perfect "don't think but kill for the emperor" troops ?

I can see a captain/chaplain/high rank guys having some kind of personality so the other spacemarines may look up to him in awe ( "For the Emperor and for The Guy With A Personality !" ) , but i imagine if a non-ranked spacemarine display some level of individuality a bit too much or even worse may start to not follow the chapter master/captain/etc.. orders to the very letter, it could be easily percieved as some chaos taint/heretic thought or whatever else.

Dawn of War 2's campaigns seem to contradict that though.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 05, 2015, 05:23:10 pm »

There's two sides to this.

One is the exterior, monolithic view of Space Marines as stamp-molded warriors of the Imperium, each in lock step with the other and the Codex Astartes. It's the view most Imperial Citizens have of Space Marine, and that non-Space Marine fiction espouses.

The internal view, i.e. Space Marine fiction, definitely lets people have distinct personalities. While they all may fight and die for the Emperor, one might be an arrogant jerk. One may be such an Emperor-botherer they take a hardline stance on everything, including the preservation of human life. One is always invariably the soft heart, a Space Marine with the heart and conscious of a normal human. (To a degree anyways.) This is usually the author trying to come at the moral/ethical quandary angle of living in the 40k universe. And there will usually be the hothead, the bloodthirsty assault guy, the grizzled Sergeant who will probably die at some point so the main character gets all angsty.....

So, as usual, all view points on a thing in 40k are right depending on your vantage point. Consider like the military in the real world. When you walk by 1000 guys in full battle dress presenting arms, you're INTENDED to see them as faceless cogs of the war machine. That's intentional even today. So when you see 100 Space Marines lined up, helmets on, bolters at the ready, it's pretty reasonable to see them the same. They WANT you to see them that way because it makes them scarier and more intimidating. But just like soldiers loosen up around each other, out of view civilians, Space Marines are the same way. They have a legend to live up to in public.

There's also been a trend in recent years to humanize Space Marines a lot more. Older Space Marine fiction leaned heavier on the "hypno-indoctrinated warrior monks who live for nothing but duty and battle." That tends to make for some pretty boring novels though (or super grotesque ones), so they've loosened the leash and allowed them to have personalities to the extent it makes the fiction readable.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:27:06 pm by nenjin »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 05, 2015, 06:39:02 pm »

I remember reading the interesting graphic novel "Damnation Crusade" from Abnett and Edginton that touched the subject of individuality being something dangerous for a spacemarine at some point of the story :

After a victory the fellow black templar spacemarines of the main character noticed that the guy seemed to not be as deeply indoctrined as he should and started to suspect nasty things involved, to the extent they even sent him to be questionned by a frightening Chaplain.

It wasn't even big as a display of individuality, just the guy being a little bit enthousiast about their victory, but that was enough for him to be suspected as having some corruption taint .
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:43:16 pm by Robsoie »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 05, 2015, 06:42:11 pm »

Yeah that's one approach. Different authors handle the subject matter differently. But that example basically plays straight to "Sosandso is acting strangely" in CM.

The reason individuality in the Astartes is feared is it's because individuality, i.e. putting yourself before the Emperor, is what's felt to have been part of the Horus Heresy. There is nothing more dangerous or terrifying in the Imperium than Space Marines unbound by their tradition and duties. Which is why Errant Chapters are feared and hated as much as the Traitor Legions.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 05, 2015, 06:43:33 pm »

For a chapter named "Black Templar"...  They sound a bit stiff even by Space Marine standards.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 288