Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799141 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #240 on: August 26, 2014, 02:14:04 am »

My last chapter crashed far from a save but I am getting the hang of it

My custom chapter, the Emperah Roughnecks, is doing well as long as tyranids stay out of the sector.

This time there were some management changes:

I am takin the scouts down in every raid and landing to have some replenishment ready before the next snafu, also I am glassing any world having an enemy presence greater than moderate.

Also i am beinging along all the time the chaper master and its guard. I hope training and xp serve at something more than promotions in this game

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 26, 2014, 10:15:31 am »

Does anyone know how XP works exactly? I know making kills grants it...but I am personally more interested in what sort of game play efffects it has or what sort of things happen at certain XP thresholds

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 26, 2014, 10:46:41 am »

Does anyone know how XP works exactly? I know making kills grants it...but I am personally more interested in what sort of game play efffects it has or what sort of things happen at certain XP thresholds
Your guys can start wearing terminator armor at 90exp. You can probably promote them to sergeant/captain/hq at various levels of exp too but I've never tried.

Quick tips:
My trade screens crash whenever I play dark angels. That's a real shame because those 4 battle barges are insane overpowered.
If your front line is dreads and you raid your troops will never take losses. Make sure to keep techmarines in all of your ships to repair the dreads.
You can raid twice per turn. You can bombard only once per turn.
Equip all of your terminators with assault cannons.
Missile launchers are very powerful against both infantry and vehicles. I don't think they have any downsides.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:52:56 am by JohnieRWilkins »
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 26, 2014, 10:48:03 am »

As some one gains xp they can be promoted.  Scouts graduate to being a marine, 9th through 7th get placed a higher company, higher companies can become honor guard.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 26, 2014, 11:14:26 am »

How do you put dreads in the front line?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 26, 2014, 11:33:41 am »

Also this game is in dire need of tool tips for all the weapons and equipment and stuff..I hate speculating on equipment and armor and stuff...le sigh...hopefully one day lol

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 26, 2014, 11:35:34 am »

Boy is this game outsider un-friendly in its obscurantism.
Do I need to read up all those WH40K rulebooks to be able to tell the difference between those various weapons, various types of marines, the mysterious stuff I can trade for, and all the remaining acrane knowledge, or is there, somewhere, a breakdown of the stats that I could access? The faq and manual are certainly not very informative.

Heh, that's some ninja right there.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 26, 2014, 11:54:10 am »

Boy is this game outsider un-friendly in its obscurantism.
Do I need to read up all those WH40K rulebooks to be able to tell the difference between those various weapons, various types of marines, the mysterious stuff I can trade for, and all the remaining acrane knowledge, or is there, somewhere, a breakdown of the stats that I could access? The faq and manual are certainly not very informative.

I guess you could look up stuff on 1d4chan wiki? Really bad and short description:

Dudes - devastators are heavy weapon guys, assault marines close combat guys, scouts marines-in-training, terminators are veterans wearing super extra heavy armor. Apothecaries are medics, techmarines engineers, chaplains maintain morale and librarians are hocus pocus. I don't know if chaplains and librarians do anything yet.

Guns - flamers and bolt pistols are short-range anti-personnel weapons. Assault cannons (usable only by terminators) and heavy bolters are basically machine guns, just with more boom, for mowing down crowds. They are heavy weapons. Melta weapons are short range anti-tank guns. Lascannons are long range anti-tank guns. Plasma weapons kill everything at medium range. Bolters kill people at medium range. Missile launchers kill everything at long range, but really tough armored targets might resist them. Combiweapons have two guns in one package, usually bolter and flamer.

Melee - chain swords are pretty good for melee, power swords are better. Powerfist and chainfist are slow so guys with them get hit first, but deal loads of damage in return. Chainaxe and thunder hammer are all for attack. Terminator-armor guy with thunder hammer + storm shield slaughters everything in melee. Force weapons are only useful for librarians, think lightsabers. They kill demons.

Armor - scout armor is lightest, terminator heaviest and tartarus is extra super terminator armor. Artificer armor is superdoubleplusgood "normal" power armor.

Vehicles - land speeders are flying scouts, rhinos APCs, whirlwinds self-propelled artillery, predators are tanks and land raiders are heavy tanks that double as APCs. Dreadnoughts are small mechs with an almost-dead marine inside.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 26, 2014, 12:01:09 pm »

Lexicanum is the best wiki for WH40k i think. 1d4chan is a bit laggy in my experience and also has a bunch of other stuff and PROMOTIONS mixed in. (still better than the wikia, though)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2014, 12:06:32 pm »

Pretty please? Anyone?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 26, 2014, 12:35:08 pm »

Maybe select only dreads from a company and load them into ships before any other companies ?

Looks like Inquisition missions are sometime broken.
I got the one in which you need to intercept a supposed heretic inquisitor, but this time the inquisition asked me to stop him at a system that just do not exist at all.
And after many turns, that heretic inquisitor is stuck there, trying to go beyond the map upper left corner but not moving as it has nowhere to really go because there's no system there (even if i press spacebar to zoom out, there's nothing) :

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2014, 12:49:41 pm »

Pretty please? Anyone?
They're automatically in the front line. (when you raid at least)
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 26, 2014, 01:07:39 pm »

snip
Cheers. That helps quite a bit.

What about races? You get dropped dab smack in the middle of the game without any kind of information as to whom you're supposed(or not) to invade. Just a while ago, I ran a penitent chapter, and cleared out all orks form the map. There were no Tyranids or Chaos to be seen, so all (I think) I could do was wait for the inquisition to get pissed.
Is that just a sign of rickety jury-riggedness of the game, or did I miss something?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 26, 2014, 01:12:12 pm »

snip
Cheers. That helps quite a bit.

What about races? You get dropped dab smack in the middle of the game without any kind of information as to whom you're supposed(or not) to invade. Just a while ago, I ran a penitent chapter, and cleared out all orks form the map. There were no Tyranids or Chaos to be seen, so all (I think) I could do was wait for the inquisition to get pissed.
Is that just a sign of rickety jury-riggedness of the game, or did I miss something?
Judging from what others have said, yeah, it's just a bug.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 26, 2014, 04:24:05 pm »

As said before early alpha is a source for a lot of the issues, but in regards to whom you're supposed to invade...

In short, humans in Warhammer 40k are space fascists worshiping the decaying corpse of the god-Emperor, with the Space Marines being (in their ideals, at least) the most prejudiced and violent of all. From a game perspective, the "ideal" space marine chapter would probably see the various factions thusly:

First, the various types of humans:

Imperium: the great unwashed masses of humans. Unlike SPACE MARINES, they're pretty normal (well, unless they've mutated or something). PDF (Planetary Defense Forces) and the Imperial Guard are, respectively, the militia and general military of the humans. On an individual basis magnitudes weaker than a space marine, but there are magnitudes upon magnitudes more of them. Some space marine chapters want to protect them, others couldn't care less about them.

Mechanicus: the machine-worshippers. Mars is effectively their homeworld. They also may or may not worship mecha-cthulhu, but officially they are fellow emperor-worshiping humans and part of the Imperium. They also happen to be the general custodians of technology, so try to stay on their good side.

Inquisition: the human inquisition. If you love the emperor and purge enemies of mankind, stay in their good graces. They're the religious space-spies of the Imperium.

Ecclesiarchy: the Church part of the great religious space fascism. Technically "no man" may hold arms directly under their command, so their military is all-woman. Fellow humans and part of the Imperium.

Heretics: deviants. For in game purposes this is pretty much always the very dangerous kind of heretic-- worshippers of chaos. Think evil demons, with various chaos gods representing various aspects of sin/evil. Many humans and SPACE MARINES have turned to the heretical ways and now serve chaos. Not all strictly human, of course, but many of them once were.

Next, the horrible xenos-- anyone not human is impure and a threat to humanity:

Eldar: Space Elves. Back in the day they partied so hard they spawned a god of chaos. Nowadays they are relatively few in number but advanced in tech. Also work in mysterious ways, blah blah blah. Not "evil" in the traditional sense but still filthy xenos.

Orks: They're orcs. Yeah. British hooligan orcs that are probably a genetically-engineered weapon from bygone days. They live to fight and fight to live, etc etc. Their tech is more or less scrap junk that functions based on the power of magic space-belief.

Tau: The Federation (and possibly all mind-controlled). They're actually a collection of various races, led by the Tau, that serve "the greater good." Not "evil" in the traditional sense but still filthy xenos-- even the humans now on their side. If I recall correctly they were originally introduced as "the good guys," but were later adjusted to be more grimdark and match the rest of the universe, so possible mind-control.

Tyranids: basically the Zerg (of course Tyranids predate Zerg, but I doubt Tyranids were the first to do this either). No diplomacy option for them since they only exist to feed.

Necron: Space Robot Mummies. The Evil kind. Probably the most dangerous of all. Most are scattered in tombs across the cosmos, waiting to awake and more or less end the universe. Generally speaking probably the only faction you want to heavily outnumber as a space marine.

As the diplomacy screen would suggest, just because many of these factions are filthy xenos doesn't mean humanity always kills them on site. Sometimes assistance and temporary ceasefires/alliances help combat even greater threats. Of course, the fact that "tolerant" is a disadvantage should suggest how the Imperium/Inquisition/Emperor feel about xenos.

Edit: I should emphasize that these are merely the 'ideals' for the space marines. You can consort with xenos and cavort with chaos if you want, but your fellow humans will likely not be pleased, possibly to the point of trying to kill you.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:26:10 pm by Dostoevsky »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 288