This weekend.
- 8 (50%)
Next week.
- 0 (0%)
Next weekend.
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 89

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - see last post  (Read 125718 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - New thread!
« Reply #375 on: September 04, 2014, 09:22:50 pm »

We can also set up spots below the canal for other rooms/additional housing, since I don't think we'll be able to fit a house for everyone at the canal. We should try to keep the housing fairly close to it, though.

PPE: I haven't decided on a covering yet. Cobble/cobble and stone looks OK, but stone bricks might look better (especially chiseled stone bricks in places). Some ore blocks in specific rings might also work, like around the canal. Opinions on that?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 04, 2014, 09:27:52 pm »

We can also set up spots below the canal for other rooms/additional housing, since I don't think we'll be able to fit a house for everyone at the canal. We should try to keep the housing fairly close to it, though.

Housing problem: More than one ring.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 04, 2014, 09:35:17 pm »

PPE: I haven't decided on a covering yet. Cobble/cobble and stone looks OK, but stone bricks might look better (especially chiseled stone bricks in places). Some ore blocks in specific rings might also work, like around the canal. Opinions on that?
We might save our ore blocks for something small but spectacular, like a moziac or mural or something, perhaps the cealing of the cone would be a good place, unless it's effectively out of render distance for the majority of the people looking into the cone....
I think stone bricks should be standard, maybe some obsidian might be good for pattern to break up the monotony, Have you thought about lighting yet? Glowstone goes for about 2-4 D per stack but apparently theres some floating islands scattered around the server with a lot of glowstone under them...
We should leave gaps between the housing areas for hallways leading further down the ring, so we can expand eacl level if need be.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:36:58 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 04, 2014, 09:50:33 pm »

We might save our ore blocks for something small but spectacular, like a moziac or mural or something, perhaps the cealing of the cone would be a good place, unless it's effectively out of render distance for the majority of the people looking into the cone....
I think stone bricks should be standard, maybe some obsidian might be good for pattern to break up the monotony, Have you thought about lighting yet? Glowstone goes for about 2-4 D per stack but apparently theres some floating islands scattered around the server with a lot of glowstone under them...
We should leave gaps between the housing areas for hallways leading further down the ring, so we can expand eacl level if need be.

It's a double cone, so there won't really be a ceiling. However, there should be an engraving room somewhere.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 05, 2014, 12:49:02 am »

Dug a short, 5x canal 2x sidewalk test for ring venice. That's 9 wide for the whole canal. It's wider than I thought. If we do dome venice, we should either increase the dome radius or use 1x sidewalks, since 9x lanes leave less building room to work with. We probably have the height for a larger dome/cone anyway.

It's not as much of a problem for double-cone venice, but there'd probably have to be only 1 ring, with expansions of the city being a square-grid design:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Proportions probably far off
Here's an example of horizontal expansion that allows more canal housing.

Additional housing/rooms in the wall of the lower cone itself are probably fine. Best way would be 6 blocks per level, accessible by short ladders, with small 1x doorways leading through short tunnels to the rooms. Trying to make balconies or digging larger recesses risks defacing the cone.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 05, 2014, 06:11:56 pm »

We could restrict development of the interior of the cone to mining out space rather than adding things (except for access paths that go across). However, because of the Venice part, we should be careful about putting everything in the cone. We want to have a use for the outside place, too.

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 05, 2014, 07:12:46 pm »

how do I install it?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 05, 2014, 07:15:34 pm »

how do I install it?
You don't need to install anything, other than Minecraft. You can install a minimap if you want to, but it's not actually necessary. Just connect to the IP mentioned in the OP.

Didn't I put this in the OP?

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 05, 2014, 07:21:13 pm »

how do I install it?
You don't need to install anything, other than Minecraft. You can install a minimap if you want to, but it's not actually necessary. Just connect to the IP mentioned in the OP.

not that, the minimap I asked for a link.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 05, 2014, 07:24:27 pm »

how do I install it?

Ah. That was a few pages back.

Generally, it's best to provide context when posting about something that's not being actively discussed.

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 05, 2014, 07:32:57 pm »

how do I install it?

Ah. That was a few pages back.

Generally, it's best to provide context when posting about something that's not being actively discussed.

Yea, just though that you guys somehow remembered that, also that I WAS ON THE SERVER PLAYING.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 05, 2014, 07:38:06 pm »

Eh. It's extremely easy to forget about a two-post conversation, and it was from over a day ago.

Also, not everyone plays at the same time as you, and people still likely wouldn't know what you were trying to install.

Anyway, to install the minimap, just install Forge and drag it into your "mods" folder. To access the "mods" folder, go to the texture pack folder and go up one level. You'll be able to access the folder from that folder. You'll need to switch your profile to "Forge" using the launcher.

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 05, 2014, 08:10:25 pm »

It says its not supported by forge

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 05, 2014, 08:18:04 pm »

It says its not supported by forge
Oh.

...Try a different minimap? There must be something out for 1.7.2.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 05, 2014, 08:19:50 pm »

My personal preference is for Voxelmap.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 89