This weekend.
- 8 (50%)
Next week.
- 0 (0%)
Next weekend.
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 89

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - see last post  (Read 125595 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - New thread!
« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2014, 07:02:06 pm »

Dug a short, 5x canal 2x sidewalk test for ring venice. That's 9 wide for the whole canal. It's wider than I thought. If we do dome venice, we should either increase the dome radius or use 1x sidewalks, since 9x lanes leave less building room to work with. We probably have the height for a larger dome/cone anyway.

It's not as much of a problem for double-cone venice, but there'd probably have to be only 1 ring, with expansions of the city being a square-grid design:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Proportions probably far off
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 29, 2014, 07:12:17 pm »

Can one of you design buffs build a factory room? We can't move factories, so we can't build temporary versions of the more expensive ones.

What level should it be at? I'm thinking layer 15 up to layer 23, with it wrapping around the central area in a donut shape.

Dome isn't out of the race yet, and the bottom of it is going to be 40-50.

If we used a dome, we'd probably mine out a smaller pit that goes down to the machine room. Either way, it should be near the bottom of the world, since that's where most miners will be coming from. Given that there's an area already mined out down there that would be in the middle for either a dome or a cone, we could start now.

Edit: It's going to be at layer 18 and go up 5-8 y-levels, near the bottom of the shaft in the middle of the main chamber. There will be four entrances to it in the cardinal directions, and then it will go around the circle area at the bottom (total radius = 20). If the main chamber is a dome, we put it at the bottom of a shaft, and if it's a cone, it gets build into the lower layers.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:43:18 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2014, 10:57:05 pm »

It's a moot point anyway, it looks like Cone Venice is winning on the poll.

Actually, how about we call the settlement Venice? Is there already a place called Venice?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2014, 11:00:17 pm »

I think Venice is more of a technical term. How about something more original (and Dwarfy), like Tunnelstreams?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 29, 2014, 11:01:53 pm »

I think Venice is more of a technical term. How about something more original (and Dwarfy), like Tunnelstreams?

We've been calling the entire settlement Sparkgears, but we could change that to only refer to the above-ground settlement. I agree that we should call the underground something dwarfy, though.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2014, 11:23:31 pm »

Cavernwaves? Pulleydanger? Steamfires? We could go a lot of directions.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2014, 11:41:21 pm »

I like Tunnelstreams. Tunnelstreams and Sparkgears.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2014, 11:43:15 pm »

We should stick with Sparkgear, the symbol has been carved into the arena floor and it would suck to have to replace it.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 29, 2014, 11:50:10 pm »

Tunelstreams, the Hidden Face of Sparkgear.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 30, 2014, 12:19:01 am »

CavernBrook
I'll sign up as a hammerdwarf now that I finally got some D armour again. It's mostly PP 3 though, lol.
Edit: I have refurbished the potato farm, it now holds over 2 and a half stacks, and looks nicer, I've created a path between the stockpile, potato farm and the open area behind the arena which I have planted the spruce in. Someone told me they need snow free soil to grow on so I have placed torches next to them, lets see if this makes a difference.
Last night I brought back a stack of buckets and more rails so work on the rail line can continue. I also have a stack of iron blocks, I might start reinforcing the stockpile, donations of obsidian would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 01:54:19 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2014, 05:13:48 am »

We've gotten impatient and started building stuff before we got all the way set up, and if we start fortifying things now we may regret it if we want to move them deeper later.

That potato patch will probably be fine, since potatoes are prolific and unless there's some kind of cauldron for them we shouldn't need more than that patch. If there is, though, there's another spot above where we can build a hidden potato autofarm.

Why are all the saplings grouped into fours? When the first grows, it'll stop the others since only worldgen can create giant spruce.

Anyway, something's come up and I most likely won't be able to play this weekend, which is unfortunate because work on the more permanent and secure underground stuff is probably going to get seriously underway.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 30, 2014, 07:48:37 am »

2x2 spruce do grow in civcraft, meowcool cat told me so, and searching the subreddit shows this comment: "We have maybe 50 2x2 spots and have them grow within 20 minutes of afking. While chopping Down one of the grown trees, it Is likely for another to growing in the time it takes."

I think growth rate has been reduced since then however. We should build a permanent large potato farm if we want to use potato xp recipes, as it is potatos might be a better food source for us then wheat but we shouldnt need a factory to increase yield as that patch by itself is fine for our population.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 30, 2014, 07:59:14 am »

If we use the potato recipes, we can get a bit more than double the XP for the same sized plot and a few charcoal.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:00:41 am by TheDarkStar »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 30, 2014, 09:10:39 am »

Things have mostly settled down now, and I'll probably be able to get on again with some regularity now.
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 30, 2014, 09:51:34 am »

Just found a rather serious issue, and I'm honestly surprised it hasn't come up yet. Boats can't pass each other on the canals. If anyone leaves an empty boat in the canal, it will obstruct movement on all sides, even if it's up against the wall. A manned boat will push it along, and slow down considerably. We will need to incorporate some kind of dock at strategic intervals, or simply widen the canal. Testing in superflat reveals that a 4-wide canal has no such problems, unless the boat is parked in the middle of the canal.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 89