Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: The Cabal - IC thread, Act 1 Part 16. (Currently on hiatus)  (Read 9840 times)

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: The Cabal - IC thread, Act 1 Part 12.
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2014, 04:20:37 pm »

Continue studying under Karak.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cabal - IC thread, Act 1 Part 13.
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2014, 03:23:35 pm »

Act One, Part Thirteen: Profit and Preparation

-----
Gerl Lightshade
[4] Some of the regulars have the discipline, or the drive to learn healing magic. As a rough estimate you'd say [4].

[1] However none of them attend your training sessions on healing magic. Still, Milos attends and [3,5] the training goes quite well. You are still an average teacher but Milos is an excellent student, for a lizardfolk.

-----
Gwyn 'The Mace'
[5] You rapidly run through the Library's scarce resources, building on your magical knowledge. You've begun to make progress increasing your magical capabilities and beginning your path to greater magical might.

You task your team of men to a merchant convoy heading south. They should return in 6 turns, and you pocket the wealth. +1.5 Wealth Tokens.
15 Cabal Regulars are now On Mission

-----
Maekar Stormhold
[?] This time Darius is more than willing to assist you in identifying the items. The blade is simple, it bears an enchantment of elemental cold. A rather strong one, it should be able to shatter armor and in time freeze a river solid.
[1] He isnt entirely sure about the amulet, though it is magical. He'll need time to examine it.

[4] The carved stone figurine is actually a depiction of Nos, a southern god of death. This particular figurine would be excellent for assisting in various necromantic rituals as a focus piece.

[3] You pick up a little knowledge on how to discern the threads of enchantment woven into an item.

As an unknown smith you are having difficulty getting word out of your talents/willingness to perform commissions. [4+1] Thankfully you have excellent contacts among the merchants now. The profit margin is slim, but you'd be able to practice your smithing.

-----
Muirgen Frostbrand
[?,?,?] You scour the city for information about masters of the blade, or really any combat capability. A true master would be able to teach you regardless.

The talk is about one, a Verin d'Avistral, captain of the King's Guard, Lord Protector of the King's personage. Legends and stories tell of his capability in battle. Minstrels sing his praises.

There is also the possibility that one of the adventurers who are like vermin in this region might be able to assist you. However that would need more investigation.

[5] You are finally fully recovered.
-----
Milos Daljulan

[3] Progress continues, the forces of the Cabal are becoming a more unified fighting force. Still slow going however.

[5,3] Training with Gerl goes very well, you are still the only student and the focus of his average teaching skills is enough to give you an awareness of healing magic. You are still a far better necromancer however.
Acquired Magic-> Healing-> Aware.

-----
William Ovendvhrall
[2,4] Another fine session of training. You had some blunders but Karaks tutelage is in many ways masterful. You are picking up a number of hints and techniques that will make your spellcraft more nuanced and capable.

Local Events!
The Guard remains Agitated.

((Whew. Dat holiday season eh?))
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2014, 04:07:53 pm »

Take a smithing commission and start working on it.
Go to the Cair library to learn about Elemental Magic.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2014, 05:20:39 pm »

Tutor at the Cair, to build up good-will.
Subtly inquire about books or tutors for rarer magic types.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2014, 01:44:10 pm »

Continue to train under Karak.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 04:13:07 pm by Azthor »

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2014, 04:41:49 pm »

Claim the frosty sword as my new weapon, name it Clarent. Keep it on my person, but continue using my uncle's sword until the furor over the pirate attack dies down.

Make sure my armor and my uncle's sword is in good condition, and summon up the audacity to ask d'Avistral himself to train me in the art of swordsmanship.

Regardless of the outcome, study general magical principles in the Cair library and practice them if I have the time.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:52:46 pm by Deep Waters »
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2015, 12:36:12 pm »

Continue studies at the library.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2015, 02:25:33 pm »

Start studying light magic, atleast the very 'basics' of it.
In the meanwhile, start also practising personal combat skills.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cabal - IC thread, Act 1 Part 14.
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2015, 08:17:06 am »

Act One, Part Fourteen: Someday they'll do something that isnt preparing, I promise.

-----
Gerl Lightshade
[5] Your offer to teach at the Cair is picked up almost instantly. Whilst you are not an exceptional teacher, and the class is mostly attended by the absolutely clueless, your efforts are not entirely wasted as going over the fundamentals of magic reaffirms them in your own mind. A strong foundation allows for great works to be achieved.

Your subtle inquiries are not so subtle. Several of the more gossipy members of the Cair bend your ear on the subject for many long hours. You learn that the head of the Cair, an enigmatic hermit by the name of Dail is rumored to be quite the mage himself. His private library is well stocked with tomes on many magics, or so the rumors go.

Many talk about the rumors of adventurers being contracted to secure ancient tomes of magic. You also learn that the city state of Lierinburg far to the southwest is reputed to be ruled by the iron fist of a Mage-lord.

All told you come away with the knowledge that although Verania is attempting to increase its magical power and knowledge, it has little due to either greed, location, or simply poor fortune.

-----
Gwyn 'The Mace'
[1,5] A commotion within the library nearly disrupts your attempts to learn but it is thankfully dealt with quickly and you can resume your studies. Studies which go quite well indeed. A few more sessions like this and you'll have a much firmer grasp on magic.

-----
Maekar Stormhold
[?] Choosing randomly amongst the available commissions, you undertake to build a pair of matching blades for some foppish young baronet or another. Since style will trump service on these blades you need to raid the Cabal coffers to begin the construction of these swords. (-.4 Wealth Tokens)
[4] Progress is admirable, you will likely finish this commission before too long.

Alas the haggling and purchase takes too much time, and you do not have the time to spare to study.

-----
Muirgen Frostbrand
You lay claim to the frost enchanted blade, adding it to your gear.

You are not the first to seek the training of d'Avistral, you will likely not be the last. Getting to see him isn't terribly difficult. He is always on the grounds of the Palace, generally in the Barracks, drilling the elites of the king's guard. Or, occasionally humiliating those who seek his training. [5] Arriving early, and hanging back in order to watch the man you observe that even though he is an older man, late 40s if hes not in his 50s, he carries himself well and purposefully. Several boisterous adventurers challenge him, with few even managing to land glancing blows. Others approach him more humbly asking to be trained and these too he fights.

You feel you've learned much just by watching him move with grace through fights. While entranced you are pushed forward by one of the present knights, wearing the regalia of Verania. Snickers behind you as you stumble slightly into the practice ring with d'Avistral.

"So, enough watching then? Ready to impress me?" His words are soft and likely do not carry beyond you. He tosses you a simple wooden sword, its well worn hilt a testament to the long hours of practice this blade has seen.

[12] You comport yourself well, but d'Avistral truly is a master of the blade. You tax your cunning, your agility, your strength and always find yourself a step or two behind. The laughter of the assembled knights spurs you not to yield ground or falter however and in time you see an opening.

[6] Which you take. Deft footwork and a heavy blow disarms d'Avistral, his wooden blade clattering to the stone floor. Seconds later however he is inside your guard, disarming you. [4] You're not entirely convinced but its almost as though he flickered briefly.

"Good. But never be distracted, always follow up with a killing blow. That is a foundation I could work with."

He presses a small wooden token into your hands and steps away, distributing these tokens amongst several of those who came today.
-----
Milos Daljulan
[1,3] You have no idea where to begin, priests may be able to help you with this undertaking but as far as you know their 'holy' magic is a well engineered lie. Your own people had a 'holy' sort of magic, that you now know by observation to be merely Elemental magic.

[4] You practise the forms of combat you are familiar with, flowing from one to the next and trying to find ways to improve. It is tough going, and likely will take much effort before you reach any improvement.

-----
William Ovendvhrall
[5,4] Progress under Karak continues unabated, with his exceptional teaching leading you to several large insights in Necromancy. Meditating on these in your own time leads you to believe that you are now far more capable than any of your fellows in Necromancy.

Acquired: Necromancy: Capable.

Local Events!
The Guard remains Agitated. Word has it that there may be talk of a special division of guardsmen being formed to root out piracy along the coastline.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2015, 09:51:38 am »

Concentrate on working on the two blades.
If they are finished, deliver them and do not take another commission.
If there is spare time but they are not delivered, study elemental magic in the Cair library.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:10:34 pm by Shootandrun »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2015, 02:10:51 pm »

Mace had quite enough studying books for now. He was not the most studious of magic users, learning his craft by practice and experience more, but theoretical foundations were always useful.

Nonetheless, hearing of Gerl's findings, Gwyn's keen mercenary instincts picked up on the possibility of material goods. Finding him, Gwyn went straight to the point.

"Gerl, I heard something about your findings in the Cair, A useful job you did, because I believe we should pursue a contract for magical supplies, or rumors of such. Whichever proves more profitable. Would you be able to find out details for us?"

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2015, 03:54:29 pm »

Gerl paused to consider the question before answering. "Do you have any particular materials in mind, or do you wish to begin brokering rare materials for profit? At this time, I would prefer to seek access to the Cair head's private library. The secrets he must have hidden away, and the feats we could accomplish with them ..."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2015, 03:06:09 pm »

Continue my studies under Karak.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2015, 03:20:13 pm »

"I see, however I would be interested in finding out whether its possible to procure some knowledge or books form another source - something that would not rely on long and tedious work of ingratiating ourselves to these mages and would let us gain supplies; in short an expedition."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2015, 05:02:58 pm »

"Very well. I suppose it would not take long to ask."

Learn elementalism at the Cair library. (Attempt to specialize my elementalism for battlefield control spells, to aid our troops)
Try to find information about lost tomes (especially mind magic), which we could then go retrieve.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12