Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: The Cabal - IC thread, Act 1 Part 16. (Currently on hiatus)  (Read 9837 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Cabal - IC thread, Act 1 Part 16. (Currently on hiatus)
« on: August 19, 2014, 03:49:20 pm »

The Cabal: IC Thread

The OOC thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142470.msg5581363#msg5581363
Chosen Start! The Rise of the Cabal, Legendary Ambitions(Because the other choices were just an illusion), The Capital, Unknown Location, Room for Expansion

Ah, Verania the city of Good King Veran the Ninth. Capital of Verania. A testament to mankinds triumph over the lesser races.
But a darkness is growing in the heart of the city. The Cabal has taken root here and is working towards imposing their will across the world. Starting here. As this is the Capital, birthplace of the cabal it is well prepared in quantity of manpower. Though perhaps not in quality. What resources the Cabal possesses will flow towards the more competent of its members.

Act decisively. Prove your worth, Cabalist. Perform well and rise far, fail and your worth may be little more than as another corpse for the armies.

This is your story now.

Our Story follows the following members of the Cabal.

Spoiler: Gwyn 'The Mace' (click to show/hide)

On the Sidelines, perhaps to return to the spotlight

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:39:08 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cabal - IC thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:50:28 pm »

Cabal Information

Spoiler: Cabal Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cabal Headquarters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cabal Troops (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Suspicion (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Supplies (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:13:30 pm by Terenos »

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 03:51:21 pm »

Act One, Ambition Burns Bright.

These are the early days of the Cabal. Each of you has found your way here, to Verania, to its Capital, and to the hidden portions of the Street of Dreams. The Cabal could always use extra talented hands and yours were talented enough.

Here within a fake temple to a pretend god you work towards the glory of the Cabal. All the while Verania goes on about its days blissfully unaware of the darkness waiting to take hold.

Theres oh so much to do. Whereever shall we begin?
-----
You may now begin your actions. Things to note:
There is no official limit to the actions you can take. However I will use my best judgement to prevent you from doing EVERYTHING all the time. Spreading your focus out may be detrimental.
There will always be tasks to perform for the glory of the Cabal.
You have lived in Verania for some time, you know more or less the lay of the city and can navigate it to the points of interest you desire. Should said points of interest exist.
Questions comments and concerns may be taken to the OOC thread.
-----

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:06:49 pm »

Maekar ducked below the frame of a door with the expertise that comes from habit as he entered the dining hall. At long last, he'd finished moving his forge underground and installing it; he was ready to start working. Glancing around, he noted the presence of a few irregulars. They had certainly noticed him - they glanced worriedly in his direction every so often, trying to pretend they weren't looking at him. He smiled, and thunder rolled around the room for a few seconds as he gave them an order.

"You few! Make yourselves useful! Find the other Cabalists in the Headquarters, tell them I'm calling for a meeting. It's about time we got to work!"

The little soldiers got up and all but fled towards the different parts of the underground maze, looking for the Cabalists of relevance. As they left, Maekar moved the tables to the wall, to give the others space to stand in a circle, and waited for them to arrive.

Call for a meeting of the Cabalists of relevance within the HQ.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:12:32 pm by Shootandrun »

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:29:53 pm »

Muirgen stands to the side as the soldiers rush out, smiling a little toothily as they hurry on by. She'd already been heading to the dining hall for a quick snack before she went out to test the mettle of the recruits-- it was pure luck that Maekar was there at the same time. Good thing, too; it'd save her a trip to his forge to ask him for a new set of armor (since her old set had been rendered into useless chunks of metal). She watches the scattershot flight of the irregulars for a few more seconds, before turning and stepping into the dining hall.

"I pity the soldier who wets himself trying to find me, Maekar. Must you intimidate them so?" Muirgen asks teasingly, lingering by the door frame.
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:45:47 pm »

Milos was the next to arrive, having been fetched by one of the irregulars in another part of the catacombs.

Having taken his time to actually get to the dining hall, Milos sauntered into the hall rather relaxed in posture. "Alright I'd like to say before we start this off, that those irregulars look more like children than proper thugs or soldiers. They're going to need something far more stern inside them than their current spines."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 04:50:54 pm »

Maekar turned around and smiled as the first of his peers entered the hall. When he spoke, this time, it was in a more conversational tone.

"Fear is as good a motivator as any, and in my case it doesn't require too much effort, little lady." Came the smith's answer. Muirgen was anything but little, yet it amused him to call her so.

He glanced at the entrances, waiting perhaps impatiently for the others' arrival, before looking back at her. That sword of hers was at her side, he noted; good blade, though it was old. He could make better - although the Cabal could hardly afford to have him replace perfectly good weapon, when some of the fighters didn't even have any. Still, it reminded him of what he had wanted to ask of her.

"I've noted you have no armor to speak of, Muirgen, but you're good with that blade - better than I am with any weapon but my fists, I think. I would suggest a favor for a favor - if you would drill me for a time, it would be my pleasure to armor you."

As he finished what he was saying, he saw the lizard make his entrance.

"You're right, Milos. If they can't stand the sight of me, they won't stand the sight of battle. We'll have to train them - that is to say, either you or Muirgen will have to train them. The rest of us are shite with anything that looks like it might be a weapon."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:57:38 pm »

"Yes, I could hear the ruckus all the way from the study; lamentably so" a man dressed in opaque black robes, a white shirt barely visible at the collar, says as he makes his way into the room, taking a seat besides Maekar.

"Well then, here is the current situation, as I read from the recent reports..." he starts once all of the ensemble has arrived.

"We have a decent amount of supplies saved up, but as it stands, there is no way those are going to last; slowly, but surely, we are running out; we need to secure a new source, or several, soon, or we won't be able to maintain our current activities. So far, what comes to mind is the temple. Our deity, Androno? He is a patron of travel and, with that, he may as well be a patron of merchants and what not; we start offering merchants stands besides the temple, for a price, and may later set up our own facilities, if any of you are up to the effort" he continues, pausing briefly for those present to consider his words.

"Nargoth may, of course, come up with a more pressing task at any given moment, so we must also keep that in mind. Which brings us to the other issue; we don't currently have anything that can be properly called a weapon, and, if our activities are anything to go by, we will need them sooner, rather than later; Maekar, think you can get down to the forge and take care of that, or should we see a merchant about it?"

"Finally, we must decide on how to distribute the use of certain facilities; such as the library, and whether any of you are willing to help our current forces along with hitting their targets with the pointy end of the sticks they call weapons".
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:11:54 pm by Azthor »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 04:58:43 pm »

Gerl, hunched over a scroll in the library, shifted in his seat, the shorter chair leg thudding as it bumped the floor. He frowned, then looked up at motion in front of him. A gnome. It started speaking when it noticed his attention. "Yer wanted in the dining hall, mi-lord. There's a meetin'."

It fidgeted under his glare for several seconds before he placed the scroll on the table on top of two others, stood and began walking briskly away. "Fix that chair."

He strolled into the dining hall and glanced around, his sight resting on Milos a moment longer than the humans. "I've been reading for minor nobles that may be of use. We have nearly nothing of use for that, and the lack of literate underlings isn't helping. I may need to go looking myself. The .. men can't be trusted with such a delicate task."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 05:06:20 pm »

The others arrived soon enough, and at last the meeting could start. William was quick to get to matters of relevance, although Maekar found his mannerisms to be almost sleep-inducing, and Gerl too contributed to the discussion.

"I can fashion weapons for whoever desires them, and armor as well, if we have the necessary materials. The more adept fighters will get priority." He paused a moment, thinking. "As well, I could open up a forge up front and recruit apprentices, if someone would secure a source of iron and fuel for me. Could be a good way of getting a profit in."

The thought of apprentices in particular interested him - it would speed up his work, certainly.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 05:17:46 pm »

"I was planning on drilling the soldiers myself," Muirgen notes, addressing Maekar, as she pulls out a chair and settles in it, leaning her elbow on the table, "But, considering there are two of us capable of teaching a group of limp-wristed amateurs how to wield a blade, I'm happy to pass  the task off to Milos--

"--if you don't mind, that is."
She leans back and turns toward Milos, balancing the chair on the back two legs, "The troops need to get used to having a lizardman order them around, anyway."

"As for merchants-- I doubt we're going to get many buyers around these parts, Oventhrall." Muirgen points out bluntly, somewhat rankled at the implication that her weapon was somehow on the same level of workmanship as the shoddy tools of their ramshackle militia, "People go to the temples when they want to pray, and the markets when they want to buy. You want commerce, open stands in the commerce district."
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 05:29:09 pm »

"I can certainly do the drill instruction if you have other plans. And if anything, I had nothing else planned, thus doing so would be a rather good fit for me." Milos replied, with a rather dry tone of voice. He still kept standing, rather half-alert as he watched and waited for the others to discuss their immediate plans in the meeting.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:05:30 pm »

Maekar glanced around, and when the discussion started falling short he decided to add his own opinion.

"Very well, then. Milos can start training the troops; I will begin forging equipment for our fighters, and eventually for whoever else here would like to commission something. I'm also going to try to find a place where we could recruit craftsmen in the future."

Having gone over his own plans, he hesitated a few seconds, before continuing.

"We will need some way to recruit key member into the cabal, and to secure a new source of supplies. Getting the higher-ups' opinion on where we should start might be valuable. Ideally, we should also use the library to its full potential, and encourage the more talented amongst us to teach the others in magic. Any other suggestions?"

Begin forging light armor for Muirgen. Drill with her to further my fighting skills.
If there is time, try to find the city's Craftmen's Guild and learn what they're all about.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 08:57:57 pm »

Muirgen shrugs, a hand resting idly on the pommel of her sword as she leans back. She offers, in an alto tinged with reluctance, "I'll look around for local mercenary jobs while Maekar is forging equipment. It's not gonna pay as much as I'd like, especially since it's gotta be local, but it's usually pretty steady work."

The idea of going back into mercenary work so soon was distasteful to her at best, but Muirgen was practical when it came down to it. She adds, "Once we get the irregulars up to snuff, we might even be able to hire them out as guards.

Drill with Maekar to improve his fighting skills.
Look around town for good mercenary jobs.

Also, if I have time, check the Cabal library for tomes on countering spells.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:40:11 pm by Deep Waters »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 09:09:43 pm »

"I'll begin looking for sponsors. No-one too powerful, the guards don't need to know about us."

Spend about half of my working time learning/practicing a fear spell. Ideally, I would like both a multi-target combat variant and a minor frightful presence aura.
Taking two irregulars with me to serve as visible muscle, preferably not on their training shift, spend the other half of each day discreetly investigating which minor nobles in and around the city are unhappy enough with the status quo, and generally amoral enough, to work with us. Pose as a frontman for a newly risen minor gang.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12