Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: The Cabal - IC thread, Act 1 Part 16. (Currently on hiatus)  (Read 9842 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cabal - IC thread, Act 1 Part 10.
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2014, 10:19:11 pm »

Continue animating undead, then have them all bury each other and any other untended corpses and return to the city.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
Re: The Cabal - IC thread, Act 1 Part 10.
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2014, 01:14:28 pm »

Allow Maekar to have one of the captain's blades and Milos the other, as well as the handaxes. Continue studying magical principles while recovering my health.

Assuming I can still provide an adequate challenge while lightly injured, have a few sparring sessions with Milos. Try to specifically practice casting spells while performing bladework.
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cabal - IC thread, Act 1 Part 11.
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »

Act One, Part Eleven: Training Montage?.

-----
Gerl Lightshade
[4+1] A great success, and you add another 16 zombies to the workforce here. You task them to bury themselves and the rest of the corpses in a large hole, and return to the city.

[1] You and your companions are given a rough time by the gate guards, though for all their suspicions they must release you eventually.
-----
Gwyn 'The Mace'
[9] You take a walk amongst the seedier side of the Capital. You are recognized by a few fellow mercenaries, and you spend some time talking about your pasts. Drinks are shared and exploits recounted. You even receive a few offers to join some mercenary companies when they leave. Politely you decline saying you have ongoing business here.

[3] Your meeting with Daergoth goes quite well. He remains easy to find, quite drunk, and permanently assured that he knows better and deserves better. His ambitions are simple enough. Power. To start with his fathers title (Baron of Bannerhold), from there perhaps more illustrious titles. He is already more than willing to assist the Cabal, though he obviously hasn't been brought fully into the loop.

-----
Maekar Stormhold
[1,1] Darius is exceptionally busy and refuses to let you interrupt what he is doing. He even refuses to let you know what it is he is doing and hurls several choice invectives at you until you flee.

Annoyed that you will have to wait to discover the powers of these items you head out to seek opportunities to invest in. There are [4] few of any real value. Mostly small floundering shops or the occasional merchant venture. Some are risky, others are quite safe. All however will take some time to return your investment.

-----
Muirgen Frostbrand
[2] Alas with your wounds you know that Milos would make short work of you, and nothing of value could be gleaned by the recruits. You spend your time studying and learning magic.

-----
Milos Daljulan
[7] An exceptional training period, your talents shine through and the regulars learn a great deal about small-squad tactics. Keep this up and they will be very reliable in small teams. [3] of the Regulars remain missing, and you cannot find them for training.
[?] The stealth team reports poor progress, but at least they werent arrested for suspicious behavior.

-----
William Ovendvhrall
[?, 5] You cannot ask Gerl anything as he is still out in the field. He does not return for some time, and apparently was detained by the gate guards.

Though he tells you that the books were fairly well organized.
Meanwhile you approach Karak and ask him to tutor you in whatever way he can. He agrees, and begins walking you through necromancy from the ground up. Even though you try to tell him that you know these things already he insists on teaching in this way. It will be a long slog learning from Karak. His knowledge of the subject is very very comprehensive however.

Local Events!
News has spread of the pirate attack. The Guard is Agitated, and several important merchants are crying out for justice.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2014, 06:45:06 pm »

After a good night's rest, Gerl grabbed a pair of cultists.

He pointed to the first one. "You will deliver messages, yes? Inform each of my colleagues that I will begin lessons on healing magic. The first lesson will be at noon today, underneath the main storage room." He pointed at the second. "Find a small dog or two and leave them tied up. We will need practice subjects. Now go."

Study Elementalism.
Begin teaching healing magic to any PC who wants to learn it.
   If nobody accepts, study more healing magic in the Cair library.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2014, 08:16:01 am »

Once again: ask Darius to examine the three items found in the chest. During the process, ask questions about everything I don't understand and take notes - make this into a learning experience.
Invest the money we've gained in the more reliable shops. While discussing with the merchants, offer to provide them with a few guards each to protect their shops, citing increased pirate activity and recent acts of vandalism as a reason why this could be worthwhile. The guards can be provided free of charge, if they're willing to promise a bigger return on the investments.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2014, 03:02:47 pm »

Requisition 15 Cabal soldiers, including the stealth team.
Begin gathering information on mercenary contracts and the like, to gather money and information from them, potentially contacts too. Send few men to Barony of Bannerhold for reconnaissance.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:06:38 pm by Ardas »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2014, 09:50:28 pm »

Continue training the men as they were, allowing Gwyn to take the men he needs (As long as he brings them all back alive).

Take up Gerl's offer of healing training, if only out of pragmatism.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2014, 05:42:24 pm »

Make a visit to the magical item fence. Ask him if he's obtained any interesting materials lately, especially on the order of exotic metals. Also, ask him if he has any books on magic in stock, and express an interest in more... esoteric practices.

If I have time left afterward, investigate the city for information about a swordfighter with greater talent than my own who might be willing to teach me. Clearly, my current level of talent and experience is no longer enough, if I'm being outclassed by pirates of all things.

Otherwise, stay out of trouble and spend my time recovering from my wounds.
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2014, 11:20:23 am »

Continue learning under Karak.
Start researching the two glyphs I had uncovered in my previous mission, starting with the simpler one.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cabal - IC thread, Act 1 Part 12.
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2014, 10:07:22 am »

Act One, Part Twelve: More studying, More preparation.

-----
Gerl Lightshade
[2] With those who know of Elemental magic busy you are forced to head to the Cair to learn more. And it is closed to the public. Something about dangerous magical energies resulting from an experiment gone awry. As you have been turned away, head back to teach healing magic.

[3] Only Milos attends your lessons on Healing, and you are not much more than an average teacher. Still he seems to do alright grasping the material. Another few sessions and he should have a fair grasp on how Healing differs from Necromancy.
-----
Gwyn 'The Mace'
[5] Your experience as a mercenary shines through here. Mercenary contracts are fairly abundant, though most seem to be dull guard jobs out in the lands surrounding the capital. They are likely low risk, but are rather low pay, considering.
The recent piracy has left some merchants skittish, and a few ships are hiring additional guards for decent pay.

[4] The men you sent to Bannerhold return swiftly. Bannerhold sits a few miles upriver on the Temis, the main river that flows north of the Capital. Bannerhold is a solid well-kept fortress that lurks beside the river and prevents it from being used as egress by hostile forces either up or downriver. The walls are always well manned, and there are several siege emplacements on the walls with ballistas and catapults. Word has it that it is a prestiguous appointment, and has been in the Vallinas line for some time.

-----
Maekar Stormhold
[1] This week you are simply refused a meeting with Darius. Whatever he is up to is taking all his time.

You invest the wealth of the Cabal [5] wisely. The return will not be grand, but it will be steady. The merchants thank you for your offer of additional guards, but the Guard is quite active and capable in their opinion.
-3 Wealth Tokens, +0.2 Wealth Token/Turn.
+2 Favor.

-----
Muirgen Frostbrand
You visit the fence you know of; A stooped old man who still carries himself like a warrior. He nods and greets you cordially, and lets some other customers move through his shop without hassle as you speak.
[6] As to the matter of exotic materials you're in luck. Or will be shortly. A group of adventurers just set out towards the borderlands, seeking a dwarven ruin. The Fence said he'd pay well for any dwarvish steel they brought back, as whatever he can get his hands on usually sells out quite quickly. If you want it, you're going to have to be here cash in hand to acquire it when it comes in. His best guess is that they will return in 8 weeks, should they be successful. Otherwise..they wont return.

He grins a wide grin when you mention magical tomes. "Alas I have an agreement with a Cair scholar. Any books I acquire are sent to him for a flat fee. Quite a steep one actually. One book alone pays my rent for a year."

Your recovery continues, but you are not yet fully capable.
-----
Milos Daljulan
[2] Training hits repeated snags this week. In many ways its simply a lack of knowledge on your part. You're not stealthy, you've never worked well in a group. Your direction is helping and you -are- learning.
Disgusted you attend Gerl's lectures on healing. [4] This goes better, and Gerl is a reasonable teacher at best. Still, Healing isnt too far from Necromancy so you should grasp its nuances quickly.

-----
William Ovendvhrall
[4] Studying under Karak goes well. His knowledge on the subject of Necromancy is vast and he seems to enjoy teaching an apt pupil such as yourself. Your studies leave you little time to look over the glyphs, though they seem simply like the runes you saw on the stone of the catacombs. Together your best guess is that they will give you a familiarty with wards.

Local Events!
The Guard remains Agitated. High summer is now upon the lands.
3 of the Cabal Regulars have become Apprentice Necromancers.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2014, 08:05:40 pm »

Again, continue training the men.
If Gerl is up for it, continue studying the healing arts with him. If not, keep training the troops.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2014, 04:14:26 pm »

Get a mercenary contact for guarding of the bigger naval merchants - use some men of my team for it.
Study Magic in the library - time to get some formal education in the field.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:10:45 pm by Ardas »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2014, 05:09:26 pm »

Go to Darius a third time, to have him identify the items and to learn from the experience.
Go into the city and seek people willing to commission work from me. If I can't find a place where I could advertise my skills, ask our new merchant associates if they know someone / if they want something commissioned / if they are willing to pass word.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:34:42 pm by Shootandrun »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »

Screen the troops interested in learning healing magic, looking for those who are capable.
Hold another class on healing magic, both for interested PCs and any troops I find.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2014, 06:30:22 am »

Investigate the city for information about a swordfighter with greater talent than my own who might be willing to teach me. Don't take lessons yet; just look for information about potential teachers.

If I am recovered enough, join Gerl's classes on healing magic. If not, continue resting and recovering.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12