Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Pawns of Divinity [Cards/Multiplayer/Roleplay] [Board Two: Stormrivet]  (Read 13833 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pawns of Divinity [Cards/Multiplayer/Roleplay] [Board One]
« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2014, 05:39:38 pm »

Traitors blade is just a card. It does have some unique mechanics (it's +1 Intrigue and -1 Combat and discard 2 cards in a intrigue attack for a +4 bonus to that attack.) but you can draw it just like normal. (It actually strikes me as not even that good of a card unless you plan on doing a LOT of intrigue attacks. Since it's sorta nine cards for +5)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:41:44 pm by Criptfeind »

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 08, 2014, 05:41:30 pm »

Oh, interesting.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 08, 2014, 06:15:03 pm »

THE TRAITOR'S BLADE [ARTEFACT] - If this truly is the Traitor's Blade, it was wielded by the Under-priest of Salus and used to kill his own deity on behalf of his rival.  The stain of treachery clings to it still - it will aid you, but it demands a price of blood.
+1 to Intrigue.  Spend 2 cards on an Intrigue attack or defence to gain another +4 Intrigue to the roll.
Cost: 6 Cards to play, and permanently sacrifice 1 Combat.
Effective or not, awesome trophy is awesome.

...but how did you know what it did?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 08, 2014, 06:17:12 pm »

I pulled it on round two or three and discarded it when playing something else.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 08, 2014, 06:17:42 pm »

I like how Iituem vanished after we all suicided. Thats a really nice touch. Panic!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2014, 07:12:08 pm »

The glass blade falls to the stone with a soft clink.  All is silent in the Tomb of Salus.

Meanwhile, far away, in a dark room in a dark realm...

The robed man placed his three pawns in the central chamber.  "Game," he said, "and Match.  Do you concede?"

His opponent, a horned beast of smoke and fire, thumped her fist upon the table.  It shook, but the pieces stayed in position.  Two pawns were set aside on her end of the board.  "Yes, yes, well done.  You win your long game, Salus.  Remind me of the bet?"

"That I could get all three of my Tears back to their resting place before you could destroy them.  And the forfeit, if you would?"

"Very well."  The horned beast waved her hand.  Her fire seemed to dim slightly, her smoke to thin out for a moment before returning to its full strength.  "Have your second chance."

Salus' shade grinned, and as the beast's power flooded into him he became flesh once more.

"Tell me something, Salus.  Why not just keep that portion of your divinity?  You could have fled with it, you need not have died.  No reason to lay it down as your forfeit."

"I'm afraid you don't understand death the way I do, Morag.  And I needed to be dead for a few hundred years.  Time enough for my opponent to forget me."

"Will you go fight him now?"

"No, first I must regain my strength.  But don't worry, I will.  After all, I don't fear the Reaper."

Salus turned to leave the game board.  Morag held up a hand.

"What about the pawns you sacrificed?  They're dead."

Salus glanced back, then spoke as he walked out of the chamber.

"Oh, they'll have their reward.  As I said, I understand death a little differently to you."

Six Months Later...

Thunder cracked through the Tomb of Salus, as the hallways were consumed with brilliant blue flame.  The storm raged for a full day, and when it passed three beings awoke at the centre.  They looked as they had in their former lives; a mermaid, a magmanarian, a foppish human; but each was cleaner, fresher than they had been.  They gazed upon the world with new eyes, senses heightened by divinity.

As if in response to their appearance, the blank fifth wall of the central chamber slid into the ground, revealing a dark stone room.  The only object in the room was a large, flat table made of some sort of black wood.

In the Vale of Tears...

Two demigods, companions and rivals in their quest for power, advanced towards the Tomb of Salus.  With their keen senses and strength, the jungle was no obstacle to them, nor would be the tomb's defences.  They had heard rumour that a pillar of blue flame had been seen rising from the valley, and they had joined forces to investigate.

They arrive at the entrance to the Tomb to see the walls and floor turned to glass, and three confused figures in the chamber beyond...

Queen Ramespi and Kwong Xing have arrived at the Tomb of Salus.
A Great Game Board has revealed itself.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pawns of Divinity [Cards/Multiplayer/Roleplay] [Intermission]
« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2014, 07:22:25 pm »

So, I'd like to open discussion up to any suggested rule changes or tweaking I can do, based on the session just played.  I already have some rules I want to change:
Spoiler: Rule Changes (click to show/hide)

Also, now that the players of the Game have become divine, they get a few new stats (that apply to the roleplay outside the Great Game).

Spoiler: Mopples (IronyOwl) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kwong Xing (Kashyyk) (click to show/hide)

Divine Power represents your inner divinity, and your ability to perform miracles.  You can use Divine Power between games to perform miracles (it permanently subtracts from your Divine Power).  You can also bet it as a wager in the Great Game.

Bodily Might represents your raw strength and supernatural abilities, and your prowess in combat with gods or overcoming physical obstacle.  You can use it to perform feats of legendary ability (it permanently subtracts from your Bodily Might).  You can also bet it as a wager in the Great Game.*

Your actions in the game overall (and partially your background) help define what Aspects you are associated with.  These are essentially what you are considered to be a God of.  Mostly fluff, but might make it cheaper to act within your sphere.

Finally, your Goal is your immediate or overarching plan of action.  What are you trying to do with your divine might?  What do you seek to accomplish?  Pick something that fits.

*Kwong Xing has Bodily Might instead of Divinity because his powers come from a dragon.  He's still effectively a demigod.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2014, 07:29:53 pm »

I'll admit, I like both those current rule changes. I think factions werent nearly as played in the initial round as they could have been, since you needed A) The faction, b) 6 cards to discard, c) A control card and 1 other card to discard. Sure they were powerful, but this way they'll see a lot more play.

Also, the goal of Varian d'Avistral? I'll have to consider this. But what comes next! Do we..play the Great Game?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2014, 07:32:50 pm »

We're in a sort of Intermission, to get a chance for characters to know one another.  But your divine senses allow you to sense the purpose of the Great Game Table; it will allow you to play a game between divine figures, betting service or power on the odds of a game played with the lives of mortals.  Interacting with it will give you more information.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2014, 07:43:59 pm »

Varian d'Avistral smiled as he stood, feeling a full decade younger. After helping his companions to their feet, he slipped a rather large corked bottle from his rucksack. Placing it with reverence upon the granite altar he spoke with his two companions.

"Pinched this off that kingly fellow just before he got through the traps. Figure we earned ourselves a bit of a celebration. Heres to Salus, the dead god of the Dead. And heres to what his passing gave us. Now I didnt bring any glasses, and I'm not sure if Magmanarian's even drink...But  I suppose the gesture counts?"

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 08, 2014, 07:48:48 pm »

How do you seize a faction with a control card?

Also I'm not sure if double attacks (basically) need to be impossible, it's true that they become powerful when you have a large number of stats in the area over your opponent, but they are more expensive and have to go though non ablative defenses repetitively. And they can't use the single use attack buff cards (which seem sorta like the power cards to me.) on the other hand if you are going for longer games (which I guess are now more likely since a god can have extra pawns as lifes) I guess I could see them needing a nerf/removal. It's a fun puzzle sorta thing though sometimes, what's better more attacks or better attacks?

Anyway, for Valers goal, I think it might be appropriate to bring his simpler kin out of the stone (lava?) age and turn them into a actual civilization? After all, if he could become a functioning member of civilization and eventually a god, why can't they? (Except the god part)

Also, once we run out of Divine Power/Bodily Might are our characters done then? And what is the use of the miracles/feats?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2014, 07:55:47 pm »

Oops, forgot to include that.  The new Control card will have a "Variable" card cost.  The more cards you pay, the more the current owner must pay to defend it.  You make a bid, and the owner of the faction must equal that bid to retain control of the Faction.  Both sides lose any bet cards, (so one may choose to lose a Faction to deprive an opponent of cards, if need be).

If you run out of Might or Divinity, you're mortal and out of the game.  To perform any feats and still be divine, therefore, you need at least 2 points of either stat.  And performing miracles and feats is essentially fluff - you can do it to help along your goals.  I guess if you manage to complete all your goals you can consider that a "Win".

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2014, 08:43:19 pm »

Well in the meantime Inspect the Great Game Board
Screw everything else, I want exposition!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2014, 09:03:42 pm »

(Yeah. Restoring the Sand River Empire is a fair enough goal)

Ramespi VII struts into the tomb, trailing her silk burial robes behind her. "Well, it would seem the legends of old Salus' treasure were not false then," echos a light feminine voice from behind the mummies' death mask, "and it looks like a mermaid, another human, and an - oh my, thats a magmanarian."

The mummy takes a step back, not wishing to bring her dry and embalmed body into contact with the heat source that was her new fellow Demigod. "I Ramespi, seventh queen of the Sand River people, do offer you lot congratulations on what you have accomplished... My companion and I, having reached similar states of power, have traveled far in search of expanding our holdings. Now we have found a game board. And perhaps some more competition as well..."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2014, 09:30:35 pm »

Well in the meantime Inspect the Great Game Board
Screw everything else, I want exposition!

You walk around the table of ink-black wood.  It is finely crafted, in a geometric style, and the top is polished black glass similar to that of the dagger you... well, you prefer not to think about that.  There are five sides to the table.  Your fingers brush against the table, and it blooms into life; you see the top of the table turn into an image - nay, a model - of this very valley.  It is impossibly detailed, and you find that when you focus on a part, your eyesight improves until you can see every crack and scratch of the object in view.  At the same time, five blocks of sable timber slide out of the table, providing seats for five people; and at each side a piece of smooth black glass remains to serve as a space for pieces.  To one side of each playing space is a deck of cards with a simple white back.  You try to pick one up, but they will not move - apparently the Game only releases cards when it is being played.

There is also a small sphere of softly glowing light.  You can see something inside it, so you pass your hand through it.  The scene on the board changes to that of a dark mountain looming over fertile plains below.  The caldera of the mountain blazes with heat, and lava bubbles in cracks from beneath its black cover.  Focusing in, you can even see a small and rather sedentary tribe of magmanarians.  Apparently the Game is providing you several choices of playing field.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21