Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Pawns of Divinity [Cards/Multiplayer/Roleplay] [Board Two: Stormrivet]  (Read 13832 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pawns of Divinity [Cards/Multiplayer/Roleplay] [Intermission]
« Reply #240 on: September 09, 2014, 07:34:01 pm »

The board seems to react to your suggestion.  It illustrates a point by manifesting several coloured balls, but you seem to get an idea of what the "default" setting for a game is; five players; two winners; one 'draw'; two losers.  Winners take losers' forfeits, draw neither gains nor loses, winner who wins first or most significantly gets the pick of the losers' prizes.

It does not necessarily suggest that it will not accept another ruleset, it just seems to suggest that this is the default.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 09, 2014, 07:43:28 pm »

"Our major concern is that only one of us may win the game, but that is not true. As we each have our own goal we can have multiple victors. Perhaps instead, we only consider the game ended once each player has definitively won or lost. If you are the first to win you gain more than those who won subsequently, and still more if less win, so it is in your interests to then defeat the others.

If only one of us wins, then clearly he or she claims the strength of all otheres at the table.
If there are two winners, the primary winner, as in the one who completed their goal first, claims two shares of power, whilst the other claims one.
If there are three winners, the primary winner claims two shares, whilst the other two neither gain nor lose.
If there are four winners then the primary winner claims the power of the solitary loser.
If we all complete our goal, then we could decide that the one who completed his or her goal last is de facto the sole loser, or we could decide that no one either gains or loses.

I think this-"
Kwong Xing stops speaking then, seeing the board's offer od a default. "That wouls also work."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 09, 2014, 07:50:07 pm »

Valer turns to the queen and regards her suggestion first. "So, loser loses three, winner wins two or three? Lots of chances, lots of practice. Only one loser. And set up in such a way that teams are discouraged except when explicit, thus covering your own weakness of being late to this party, so to speak? Interesting. And worthy for that last consideration alone. If these are your terms, I will agree to them, although it feels tortuously slow to me." Then he turns to the old man. "To be honest, your plan seems to rely on too many variables, and assumes that we would even have different goals to began with, possibly a unfair proposition. That might be appropriate for later, but for now a simpler game, or set of games as it may be, seems more appropriate. I won't agree to such a shaky and possibly uneven deal until I ether have the resources to waste or a better understanding of how it would work."

Valer sits back and idly swaps though the boards.

"What board are you interested in? To be honest, I don't wish to involve my people until I have a better understanding of this artifact. Also this city seems like a very appropriate setting for a five person free for all."

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 09, 2014, 08:30:20 pm »

"I'd say the dwarven fortress honestly. None of us having any particular stake there, and no reason to seek revenge should things go awry for our interests."
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 09, 2014, 11:13:00 pm »

"The default is acceptable," The queen admits, "I'd prefer to have to lose more than once to forfeit my divine power, but if we are all feeling brazen today, I will go along with it. I wouldn't be opposed to playing at the dwarfish ruins for now either..."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 10, 2014, 08:27:54 am »

Kwong Xing
"Both the dwarvern ruins and the City at Storm Coast sit well with me. As does the default setting for the game. I infer that you are all still willing to gamble your immortality, and therefore I must do the same."

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 10, 2014, 05:42:27 pm »

So thats 3 for the dwarven ruins then? The wager is of course power, and default rules? 5 go in, 3 come out?
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 10, 2014, 05:44:09 pm »

Allowing for Valer's concerns, really just need to hear what Mopples thinks of the design.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 10, 2014, 05:47:44 pm »

"To be honest, I think the rules the queen came up with seem superior to the default rules. I would rather if we play by them. The dwarven ruins and a power wager are both fine with me."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:53:29 pm by Criptfeind »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2014, 02:11:30 pm »

Mopples finally piped up. "I think I like the Queen's idea. Feels very tournament-like."

((Very sorry about that. :<))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 15, 2014, 08:09:28 am »

Valer sits back and counts off on the hunks of rock that pass for his fingers.

"So, one, two for the Queens rule set. One, two for the basic rule set. With the queen being the fifth that I've not counted, as I belive it's clear that she would rather take her own rule set, but the last thing she mentioned was going along with basic. But if she votes for her own rule set that would indeed be three for Queens Rules and two for Basic.

Although we seem settled on the dwarven ruins as well. Which is worthy. I would think the only real question left is can this board take the Queens rules?"

Valer leans forward and prods the board with his finger.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 15, 2014, 09:48:23 am »

"Of course I would prefer my own ruleset, if the board allows for it. I'd suggest cycling through the boards in that case, but I wouldn't be opposed to sticking with the ruins either."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 15, 2014, 04:47:48 pm »

((The main reason I choose default over Queen's is that we'll be taking up three games worth of time, where other players could have joined after the first. However if the GM doesn't mind this I'm totally ok with Queen's))

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 15, 2014, 04:54:18 pm »

The board thrums in response, maifesting the image of a stylised crown in response.  You suppose that's a yes?  The image settles on that of the ruined fortress, half-covered in semi-solid lava flows.  Now that the board seems to have stabilised, you can see it in more detail and your divine senses pick up on various aspects of it.

On the edge of the board, you can see a tiny human trading post at the edge of a forest, along a paved stone road in some disrepair.  It seems to have withered with the fall of Stormrivet, the fortress above, but is seeing fresh custom with the sudden appearance of a party of heavily armed and armoured dwarves looking to trawl through the ruins.

Deep within the bowels of the fortress, a dwarven necromancer is trapped in the intact sections of the fortress.  He has reanimated many of the former inhabitants to serve as labour, but the fortress' magma defence systems fill in any holes his zombie teams dig clear and the controls are in a part of the fortress he cannot reach.

Meanwhile, on the other edge of the board a handful of magmanarians have wandered towards the fortress, following rumours of tasty gems in the fortress' sealed bowels.

Finally, you can sense the faint presence of a party of elves in the forests nearby, eager to see that the tree-consuming ways of the fortress are not reborn.

The board displays more abstract images, the meaning settling into your minds: You must each pick a goal to achieve, relating in some way to the situation on the playing field.  You can pick whatever goal you wish, but after the first to pick the following goals must be at least tangentially opposed to at least one other goal.  Since you are following Queen's Rules, the first to achieve their goal will win.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pawns of Divinity [Cards/Multiplayer/Roleplay] [Board Two: Stormrivet]
« Reply #254 on: September 15, 2014, 07:14:49 pm »

"I suppose it only makes sense for me to be put in charge of my kin in this instance."
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21