Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: The Bay12 Island Project  (Read 16654 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Island Project
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2014, 10:47:01 pm »

Another name possibility, this time in Old Norse:

Vágrtólf

Translating to BayTwelve
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2014, 10:48:28 pm »

566.25 acres for $90000

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, that's right, property taxes are less than $25 a year.

Handy link:

http://www.landwatch.com/default.aspx?ct=R&type=13%2C12%3B268%2C6839&sort=SZ_D

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2014, 10:48:29 pm »

Why attempt a whole country right from the start? It would be an impressive feat to build just a Bay 12 town (like, jaw-on-the-floor impressive), and you could scale up from there.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2014, 10:50:07 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa. I thought the idea was to create an island fortress where Bay Watchers could go in the event of societal collapse/nuclear armageddon/zombie apocalypse/just to get away from the world. Not to create some gimmicky micronation that hosts webspace.

I've got about $4,000 in ready funds at the moment.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2014, 10:55:17 pm »

566.25 acres for $90000

Handy link:

I like this idea
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2014, 10:57:13 pm »

My idea was always some creepy settlement on an otherwise useless island. Hosting webspace is one thing, but until we go the micronation route we're held by the laws of whatever country is crazy enough to sell us land in the first place.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2014, 10:58:05 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa. I thought the idea was to create an island fortress where Bay Watchers could go in the event of societal collapse/nuclear armageddon/zombie apocalypse/just to get away from the world. Not to create some gimmicky micronation that hosts webspace.

I don’t think they would have been discussing international law if that was the point. If you want a Bay 12 retreat that is much more manageable.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2014, 10:58:47 pm »

Found more, but that 566 one looks pretty good:
90000 Acres for 1.8 million. You get multiple lakes and rivers with this.

215 Acres, $50,000

160.5 Acres $38,000

Of course, the land I currently live on is 128 acres, about half of that farmland and half of that forest. We're in between some large Canadia cities, only about 25 minutes to each. Only problem is that we may have to sell it soon, but if Bay12ers want to set up a micronation on our property, I'm sure we'd be okay with that, especially if you chip in for property tax :P

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2014, 11:04:04 pm »

I've got about 500$ if this is really serious.

566.25 acres for $90000

Handy link:

I like this idea
+1. It's a few hours drive from where I live.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2014, 11:04:38 pm »

I don’t think they would have been discussing international law if that was the point. If you want a Bay 12 retreat that is much more manageable.
Which is what I'm annoyed about. My understanding was that the idea was to create a retreat. I have no interest in dealing with the crap that comes with being in a micronation.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2014, 11:04:55 pm »

...can't keep up with thread...posting anyway.

People actually interested, please post your location.

possibly in Canadialand

Cold.

I've got about $5000 to work with.
[/quote]
$5000
[/quote]
$1000

...ok, but iet's be realistic: how many people who "have X dollars to work with" are really going to put 100% of X towards a project like this? I mean, if you can prove me wrong...that would be awesome. I totally agree. But...from previous experience with bay12 projects...honestly we have a lot of flakes here. I think there are lot more people who'd be willing to put in $100 or so than willing to put in $5000. A $40,000 island is not going to cost $40,000. Taxes, brokers fees, escrow, etc. It's going to be more.  Plus if it's in the middle of nowhere, there will be travel costs. Nobody's going to want to spend 100% of their money pitching in to buy something and then not have the money to actually go there. If we're going to actually do anything, it would be nice to have money left over for materials. Lay some concrete, maybe put up a cod structure, maybe get a shipping crate like somebody else suggested. I don't think there are going to be enough people willing to put in an actual full $5000 to reach the $40,000 - $90,000 properties I see some people listing.

construction, utilities supplies of some kind, that sort of thing that's completely beyond my ken.

The idea needs more of the skeleton in place before these things are answerable. However, what I'm personally imagining is some number of acres with a dirt road next to it and nothing but trees on the land itself.

Utillities
This is something that would need to be decided before we start seriously looking.

(And incidentally this is a huge consideration if we go with an island rather than cheap land somewhere, as it's extremely likely that an island will have no utilities, and no possibillity of utilities. Because it's an island. So, solar, septic and either pay to have a well dug or bring bottled water.)

From previous experience looking at land, if we simply want "raw hunk of land" that is massively available for cheap. We can probably also find something with a dirt road leading to it without much difficulty. But, like with the island, this means so public utilities, no electricity, no sewage, etc. If we're content with that, then this project is completely realistic with individual contributions in the 1-2 hundred dollar range.

Stepping up from there, if we require public water and electrical access, this can be had, please understand that even a proper with hookups...it's not going to be as simple as driving to the property and *poof* there's  toilet and shower available.

How much do shipping crates cost?  Could use them to build a modular shelter.

One to three thousnad dollars each, not including shipping costs. Note also that chipping crates generally come with industrial chemicals in them that might be best to have cleaned before use.

I've been looking up some boat prices.  Ocean-worthy vessels are expensive.

I used to live on a boat. I paid $1800 for a Colukmbia 26. Best time to buy is after summer, because lots of people like to have boats when it's warm and sunny. Not so many when it's cold.

Why attempt a whole country right from the start?

Agreed. Country is probably out of the bounds of realistic. Island is seriously stretching the realms of realistic, unless one of us just goes all out and buys the thing. Pooled effort, bunch of acres of forest land somewhere is, I think, within the realm of realistic.

Unless somebody puts together a viral kickstarted campaign and hundreds of thousands of dollars start flying in. If somebody wants to do that, don't me discourage you. But...trying to stay realistic.

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2014, 11:05:36 pm »

Does anyone here do hard labor that would probably be needed for this? Like building and stuff?
I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2014, 11:05:51 pm »

I'll start stocking up on flavour-aid, one of you Americans get the assault rifles. :P

(That was joke. JOOOOOOKE.)

You guys could always just start out as hobos on a boat made out of plastic containers, sail around 'til you found an island to claim. An abandoned oil rig does sound like a legit awesome place to camp out, though... maybe one day I'll do that.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2014, 11:08:39 pm »

Even if there's no way we're getting an island, a huge stretch of land in the middle of nowhere would be amazing to have.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2014, 11:12:15 pm »

Funny a radio show I listen to here in Australia recently Purchased an island.
I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14