Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: The Bay12 Island Project  (Read 16609 times)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Re: The Bay12 Island Project
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 10:04:47 pm »

We should get some millionaire to join the bay12 forums and lend us money...
And I have a couple hundred to spend if we need it.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 10:07:27 pm »

I'm in.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 10:07:51 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

How much would it cost to build something like this? We could do what they do and make money off of gimmicks and hosting internet space.

Could develop games, as well.

Maybe we could use a Kickstater with a low monetary goal to get money.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 10:09:26 pm »

I mean, I assume we aren't actually going to be trying to make a micronation. The logistics are just not there, however cool it sounds. Certainly, we shouldn't actually plan on things like growing our own food.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 10:10:45 pm »

Kickstarter is how we (apparently) are planning on pooling the funds in the first place. We do, however, need to figure out where to embark first.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 10:11:04 pm »

The Canso Islands sound fantastic, but may be too expensive.
Jones Island looks good. +1

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/islands/chandler-island
Quote from: The deed
an acre more or less
Sounds a bit small, really.

If we actually end up being a small country, we'll need a name. Outer Heaven is trademarked, and Bay 12 wouldn't look good on a map.

Any ideas?
Arbolitaria.

Although, buying an island does not automatically make us an independent state.
I thought we were talking about becoming a mini country which fucks the world earlier.

And speaking of intercourse with celestial bodies, where did all your liberal attitudes go, dude? Fucking the world is, like, totally wrong, man.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 10:11:23 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

How much would it cost to build something like this? We could do what they do and make money off of gimmicks and hosting internet space.
If we offered a free internet, we could make some decent money for a micronation.

Exactly. Any idea at how much something like Sealand would cost though? Jones Island looks nice, but we'd still be part of a country.

Apparently, there are a ton of abandoned oil rigs in the gulf of Mexico, we could just reclaim one and fix it up?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2014, 10:13:00 pm »

I prefer the sound of an island. Less threat of suddenly collapsing.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 10:13:16 pm »

Was looking up how much a motorboat would be for transport off of the island.  I misspelled it as motorgoat.

Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 10:15:35 pm »

But islands aren't independent, which means that we can't host server space for pirates, and we'll have to pay taxes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 10:17:31 pm »

But islands aren't independent, which means that we can't host server space for pirates, and we'll have to pay taxes.
I think independent micro-nation is a long-term goal here. We first need to get everyone into one place, then we can start making war on people much larger and more powerful than us.

Edit: This explains everything rather simply. Just ignore the weird page formatting and dated design.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:21:44 pm by InsanityIncarnate »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 10:17:46 pm »

Not all islands are claimed, from what I've heard. Besides that, we have options. We could create an artificial island, or try to buy territory from one of the more enterprising nations.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 10:19:12 pm »

Gently place moon in ocean.

Island get.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2014, 10:20:42 pm »

I... would strongly recommend against any micronation plans. You have to realize, it relies entirely on it being more hassle to actually impose your continued allegiance than to just let you secede in practice. Especially in the case of the Internet, you're doomed to failure - for starters, the parent nation controls all the infrastructure, and you have servers (at best). Most likely, you won't be able to accomplish anything, and if you do, against all odds, you'll probably actually get the attention needed to bring your micronation back in line.

That said, if you are really determined for a micronation with an economy based on free Internet, an island is definitely the way to go. Your remote physical location makes secession much more psychologically palatable, and it also enables you to actually implement new Internet infrastructure that can bypass the networks you're trying to replace. That said, the investment required would be astro-fucking-nomical.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2014, 10:22:46 pm »

Gently place moon in ocean.

Island get.
I think that could cause a few problems.
I know, I'm joking. :P

Still, think outside the box for a minute.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14