Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: The Bay12 Island Project  (Read 16639 times)

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Island Project
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 09:22:18 pm »

Maybe, but it is very small.

Not large enough for a full-sized military base.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 09:26:18 pm »

Smaller area means less ground we need to effectively cover with anti-ship and anti-aircraft weaponry. Besides, if worst comes to worst, we can always expand underground, high water table or no.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 09:34:31 pm »

discussing the acquisition of an island

This started as half a joke and half not-a-joke, and I have no idea where it falls anymore.

Possibly interested. Does it have to be an island though? My impression is that a fair majority of bay12 consists of high school and college students. Islands tend to be expensive. There are places where desert and forest land within reasonable distance of a highway can be had for ~$1000/acre. 20 people each putting in $100 could realistically buy an acre or two.

Logistics nightmare though. Agreeing on a location, for one. Tax implications for two. Property taxes would be cheap for what we're discussing, but they would need to be paid regularly. And we'd need to create an entity to purchase the property and there would be legalisms to deal with. Also, probably safest if nobody under 18 participate.

These are surmountable problems though. And this is something I do have at least some experience with. If we can agree on specifications, I can go look for real property and post price/screenshots/spec/googlearth coordinates/etc.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 09:39:17 pm »

PTW.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 09:42:05 pm »

Smaller area means less ground we need to effectively cover with anti-ship and anti-aircraft weaponry. Besides, if worst comes to worst, we can always expand underground, high water table or no.
Lol, the double-slit method only uses up 81 square feet! =P
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 09:46:48 pm »

As said before, I've got about $5000 to work with. Right now it's earmarked to pay for rent while I attend graduate school next year but this actually seems like a more worthwhile use.

I'm willing to match this.

discussing the acquisition of an island

This started as half a joke and half not-a-joke, and I have no idea where it falls anymore.

Possibly interested. Does it have to be an island though? My impression is that a fair majority of bay12 consists of high school and college students. Islands tend to be expensive. There are places where desert and forest land within reasonable distance of a highway can be had for ~$1000/acre. 20 people each putting in $100 could realistically buy an acre or two.

Logistics nightmare though. Agreeing on a location, for one. Tax implications for two. Property taxes would be cheap for what we're discussing, but they would need to be paid regularly. And we'd need to create an entity to purchase the property and there would be legalisms to deal with. Also, probably safest if nobody under 18 participate.

These are surmountable problems though. And this is something I do have at least some experience with. If we can agree on specifications, I can go look for real property and post price/screenshots/spec/googlemaps coordinates/etc.

This is actually a sound idea. It'd be nice to have somewhere independent though. Or at least nominally independent, like that Sealand place.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 09:51:36 pm »

Maybe, but it is very small.

100 feet in diameter (only saying this because of how circular it is), according to Google Maps.  Average aircraft carrier is about 1000 feet long.

Logistics nightmare though. Agreeing on a location, for one.

Where most Bay12ers who would participate live or the center of population density?  Former would result in less international travel headaches, and the latter would get lower travel costs on average.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 09:52:27 pm »

Hory Shet, it's like the Bay 12 Space Program reincarnated. A miracle!

If we actually end up being a small country, we'll need a name. Outer Heaven is trademarked, and Bay 12 wouldn't look good on a map.

Any ideas?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 09:54:58 pm »

Oh man, this is basically my dream. We could build and/or dig a castle on our horrible piece of land. Currently $1k in spending money for whatever, but I'd have to be really sure it was worth it.

It would have to be somewhere arable to be even close to independent.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:56:35 pm by freeformschooler »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:31 pm »

If we actually end up being a small country, we'll need a name. Outer Heaven is trademarked, and Bay 12 wouldn't look good on a map.

Any ideas?

Something difficult to pronounce that we take offense of if someone says it wrong.  Bonus if we can't pronounce it and still take offense, or it has deceptive pronunciation.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 09:58:37 pm »

The Canso Islands sound fantastic, but may be too expensive.
Jones Island looks good. +1

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/islands/chandler-island
Quote from: The deed
an acre more or less
Sounds a bit small, really.

Any ideas?
Arbolitaria.

Although, buying an island does not automatically make us an independent state.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 09:59:36 pm »

Any ideas?
The Daring Warrior Association of Radical Fanatics?

The Fabulous United Nations?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 10:01:23 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

How much would it cost to build something like this? We could do what they do and make money off of gimmicks and hosting internet space.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 10:03:06 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

How much would it cost to build something like this? We could do what they do and make money off of gimmicks and hosting internet space.
If we offered a free internet, we could make some decent money for a micronation.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 10:03:42 pm »

Just buy that island thats completely covered in snakes. Should be cheap, right?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14