Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

More features... poll will be open till end of August.

Kobold Arena-like summonings of hostile creature to defeat for rewards.
Alchemy makes potions that give permanent boosts to the hermit.
A vampirism transformation that forces you to kill regularily, or die.
A werebeast transformation that is triggered in combat, like Kobold Druids.
AoE explosive/poisonous trap-components and catapult ammo.
Spawn/Summon pets like squirrels, niths, mountain gnomes, pixies.
A custom "cooked-meal" system, which has you prepare real meals. No more "eat one seed, not hungry anymore"
Massive AoE spell like fire-rain or evil-clouds as a way to ged rid of too large sieges.
Metal transmutation, alchemy based.
Hardcore mode, without all the boni like nopain, custom bone template, free skills, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode  (Read 76184 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode - TEST VERSION ONLINE!
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2014, 08:02:13 pm »

Can we get a version with mortars and pestles so I can test the remaining two workshops?
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »

Just edit the entity yourself. Or use createitem or hackwish.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2014, 09:02:18 pm »

Just edit the entity yourself. Or use createitem or hackwish.
If I was raw savvy I would. I plan to learn over the coming month to do basic stuff. createitem sounds like something I could use though...

BTW, latest embark, one of my guys is a werewolf. So 5 vaporized, one transformed, and killed the last.

EDIT: Actually, he may have not been a werewolf, but there was a werewolf dwarf who bit him, and then he transformed and killed the original. So I now have a werewolf hermit. Does he transform when threatened? Or randomly?

EDIT2: Definitely random. Still entertaining! Though he frequently destroys his own buildings...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:15:32 pm by Samarkand »
My Area

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2014, 09:21:11 pm »

Gah, testing this immediately :O Been waiting five million years for something remotely close to a single-dwarf embark, and this sounds like it :) Don't give up on this!!

EDIT 1: My hermit is hollowing out a nice rounded hill of about 15 z-levels :) The only real problems/bugs I've encountered so far are:

*The first migrant wave sprinkled items on the ground as they disappeared (amulet, bone dice, quiver, and one or two other things..)

*Of that migrant wave a woodworker that showed up didn't disappear, or turn into a regret, and everyone is getting embarrassed from being naked :> Right now he's following my original hermit everywhere under the "Attend Meeting" task while my hermit builds coffins and hauls food :> Heres a dfhack output that may or may not be helpful:
...kDF V6.1 Hermit\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/druidism.lua:2321: Cannot read fi
eld vector<unit*>.36: index out of bounds.
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function '__index'
        ...kDF V6.1 Hermit\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/druidism.lua:2321: in fun
ction 'update'
        ...kDF V6.1 Hermit\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/druidism.lua:2324: in fun
ction <...kDF V6.1 Hermit\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/druidism.lua:2324>

*Migrant wave left its pets behind.. I brought 5 dogs and 2 cats and now have a hawk, two lambs, a cow and an extra puppy :> I'll probably end up storing seeds inside the puppy..

*Third migrant wave just showed up, all migrants turned into regrets, and they left no pets, but this group dropped 3 quivers and 33 iron arrows..

*I made a shovel but couldn't find out how to dig a hole with it, if it can bury those regrets.. Another part of the guide said to just build coffins so they've got the finest coffins trash-wood can afford :D Maybe put the command/method for using the shovel for holes in the faq?

EDIT 2: *I've got a cow running around that is "Opposed to life" :> Now that some time has went by the cow is back to normal "Tame" status..
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:01:06 am by dwarf_reform »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2014, 09:28:20 pm »

Was playing to see if it was game-breaking or game-making, but him destroying all the buildings every so often definitely gets annoying, so I'm just starting a fort.
My Area

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2014, 09:30:24 pm »

the vanilla werebeasts are more a nuisance than a nice feature to have. And its not random, but monthly. ;)

For mortar & pestle: Just add this to entity_hermit.txt in your raw/objects folder, and gen a new world.

[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PESTLE] <== new
   [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MORTAR] <== new
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2014, 09:44:19 pm »

the vanilla werebeasts are more a nuisance than a nice feature to have. And its not random, but monthly. ;)

For mortar & pestle: Just add this to entity_hermit.txt in your raw/objects folder, and gen a new world.

[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PESTLE] <== new
   [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MORTAR] <== new
Awesome! I'll add that in next time.

Also, could we have a way to make silk/cloth/wool quivers? Got another fort with a werebeast in it, but I couldn't shoot him down because I couldn't make a quiver, without getting leather first at least.
My Area

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2014, 09:48:02 pm »

Sure. Backpacks and quivers of cloth, no problem. I always wondered why vanilla DF doesnt allow those.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2014, 11:47:41 pm »

I've got an issue with one of the migrants- he's not dying, despite having attended meetings with my hermit multiple times. (He's currently on meeting #3, crying his imaginary tears all over me.)

At first I assumed he was surviving because he first made contact while the hermit was asleep, but after he woke up the hallucination stuck around to complete their first meeting. Now I'm stuck with a couple of naked guys while I should only have one. (Also they're naked, I'm not sure if that was intended.)

"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2014, 12:54:48 am »

Ooh, wait, Meph, how you do the poofin?

Mine is unreliable (as you found out yourself).

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2014, 01:38:45 am »

I've got an issue with one of the migrants- he's not dying, despite having attended meetings with my hermit multiple times. (He's currently on meeting #3, crying his imaginary tears all over me.)
Just point at him with "k" and use the dfhack command "slam 1000000". Should work fine.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2014, 06:24:27 am »

Sure. Backpacks and quivers of cloth, no problem. I always wondered why vanilla DF doesnt allow those.

Historical reasons... Both needed to keep food/arrows/bowstrings dry and cloth back then wasn't so tight and waterproof as now. Durability also a factor.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Zeni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2014, 07:15:15 am »

Loving the hermit life so far. Quite challenging!
So I am looking over my hermits likes and dislikes... apparently he likes nautilus men for their many tentacles..... shame I cant get one as a pet then!  ;)
You never realize just how much work there is to be done, until you only have a single dude to do it!

Nice work on this mod Meph, im personally looking forward to the insect race (being an entomologist myself! :P )

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2014, 08:20:00 am »

Historical reasons... Both needed to keep food/arrows/bowstrings dry and cloth back then wasn't so tight and waterproof as now. Durability also a factor.
So maybe cloth + wax or tallow to get it watertight. :)

Ooh, wait, Meph, how you do the poofin?

Mine is unreliable (as you found out yourself).
Each hermit-race member can transform any other hermit-race member to a hallucination, a creature that has melting bodies. 1 random person of the first 7. The migrant waves are more tricky, with this system they could kill your hermit when they arrive, having another random survivor, so I gave each of them another self-targetted interaction that blocks the transformation. That comes into effect after 125000 ingame ticks. Thats enough time for the hermit to transform all units, but short enough to happen before the first migrant wave.

So you start with 7, get a random survivor. After 3 weeks ingame he become immune to this insta-death, first migrant wave appears, they obliterate themselves with 1 survivor, which gets killed by the hermit. Second wave the same. Only issue is that you could in theory keep that one random survivor of each migrant wave away from your hermit for 12500 ticks, but I made the interaction with a range of 500 and no line of sight needed.

The test version has a slightly different system, so thats why some people have lone survivors sometimes. I hope my dev version does it better now. Still have to test it again.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2014, 09:13:30 am »

So maybe cloth + wax or tallow to get it watertight. :)
So long as there's a route that doesn't necessitate killing random wildlife I'm good with it. I think there needs to be a lot of options for hermits to lead lives of minimal impact on the environment.
My Area

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23