Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203380 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, yea there are reasons why dictators like Saddam and Gaddafi managed to get where they were and survive for so long...

They played both the domestic and foreign situation well enough for their time.  It also leaves things in shambles for the successors who wish to change things.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

Welp, it's happening boys and girls. Germany is shipping munitions and humanitarian aid to Kurdish forces, including 8000 G36 rifles, 8000 G3 rifles, 200 Panzerfaust 3 rocket launchers, 30 MILAN anti-tank systems, and 5 Dingo IMVs. Personally, I believe giving arms to the Kurds will probably help them against ISIS, and probably isn't as bad an idea as giving guns to Al-Qaeda was. At the same time, I'm still a little worried about this whole affair, and how it could go wrong.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2014, 01:56:49 am »

Eh, I'm cool with the Kurds. I mean, I'd rather not see a gigantic clusterfuck of a civil war set in the area, but the Persmegah have traditionally done just fine with Iraqi Kurdistan having semi-autonomy.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2014, 04:31:07 am »

Yeah, the Kurds seems about the only nice people left in the area. Do you know which Kurdish faction is being funded? Iraqi Kurdistan I guess?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2014, 04:33:45 am »

Can't we get a Kurdish dictator to rule over Iraq?

I bet that'll go smoothly :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2014, 04:41:54 am »

Part of the reasons the Kurds are doing well is that they're not interested in ruling Iraq, they just want to mind their own business.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2014, 12:30:24 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/world/meast/isis-american-journalist-sotloff/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

They just beheaded the second journalist and are still trying to intimidate the US. The only thing it'll do is make people want to eradicate ISIS even harder.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2014, 12:35:08 pm »

And now, leaving a shitton of advanced military gear there as a "gift" to the Iraqi Army (and because it was cheaper than shipping it all home) is looking more and more like the worst Iraq-related decision since disbanding the Iraqi Army in the first place.  :(

I'm on the verge of saying we call ISIS's bluff and let them establish a Caliphate in their territory, so everyone can watch it lolfail as a workable system of governance in the 21st century.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2014, 12:38:24 pm »

The problem is that it will only fail as a method help people being better off. As a method to extract funding from citizens for terrorist activity, it will be quite succesfull.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2014, 12:42:16 pm »

That made my want to find out how the Taliban governed Afghanistan.

The Wikipedia page on them (pre US was and post seizing power, that is) is one big circle jerk about some Massoud guy, however.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 02, 2014, 12:51:14 pm »

And now, leaving a shitton of advanced military gear there as a "gift" to the Iraqi Army (and because it was cheaper than shipping it all home) is looking more and more like the worst Iraq-related decision since disbanding the Iraqi Army in the first place.  :(

I'm on the verge of saying we call ISIS's bluff and let them establish a Caliphate in their territory, so everyone can watch it lolfail as a workable system of governance in the 21st century.
Authoritarian societies, coupled with modern social manipulation technologies via social networks and religious fervor, are incredibly resilient.

I found that many people here from democratic countries seriously underestimate the fragility of democracy and the power of authority, especially in Middle East.
._.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2014, 12:54:12 pm »

The other option is to let it form and then watch as it engages Iran in a fight to the death. Either way, we wind up with one threat neutralized and the other severely weakened. (yay realpolitik)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2014, 03:11:12 pm »

The other option is to let it form and then watch as it engages Iran in a fight to the death. Either way, we wind up with one threat neutralized and the other severely weakened. (yay realpolitik)
Iran wasn't a threat in the first place until we fucked around with them.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 02, 2014, 03:20:47 pm »

Even more reason to stop fucking with ISIS then, wouldn't you say?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 02, 2014, 03:25:43 pm »

Even more reason to stop fucking with ISIS then, wouldn't you say?
What if they somehow manage to form a temporarily alliance "against the US" as their common enemy?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 136