Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: The Valley (Genii Locus) [For 6 Players]  (Read 8440 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Valley (Genius Locorum) [For 6 Players]
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 08:32:04 am »

The Blessed Spirit was amused by the idea that the efforts of some of it's fellow spirits to convince the humans that they were worth worshiping was being eaten up by this young cub of a god.

"Perhaps we should talk to this new one, and find out what, if anything, it thinks. It would be smart to understand if it is our peer or just another resident in the valley...

Or if it's something above us."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 08:34:04 am »

Firstly, broadly Heal (8 NAT) the Grasslanders, so that they are not laid low by the plagues of the earth.

Secondly, finely Whisper (8 CUL) to the most affluent intelligence-enhanced family the deeper secrets of the land, so that they may advance the ways of agriculture. Teach them of the soil, of replenishing it after use, and of rotating one's crops properly for all manner of benefit. Instruct them to use this knowledge while honoring the Grass that gave it.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 02:59:22 pm »

Firstly, broadly Heal (8 NAT) the Grasslanders, so that they are not laid low by the plagues of the earth.

Secondly, finely Whisper (8 CUL) to the most affluent intelligence-enhanced family the deeper secrets of the land, so that they may advance the ways of agriculture. Teach them of the soil, of replenishing it after use, and of rotating one's crops properly for all manner of benefit. Instruct them to use this knowledge while honoring the Grass that gave it.

You caress the grasslanders with your power, and their illlness abates.  [-8 NAT]  The increased tendency towards colds and food poisoning reduces to approximately normal levels.  Their overall health improves, in line with the rest of the valley, and the locals attribute this to the higher nature of the grasslanders.  This boost to their health will last until you next wake, but the circumstances that reduced it will remain.

You pick out the most affluent of the three grasslander families you enhanced, the family whose elder is known as Modnir.  In their sleep you visit them [-8 CUL] and convey your wishes.  The dreamers find themselves on a plain of endless grass, where your voice whispers to them.  You tell them of how their crops will eventually drain the soil of its vitality, but how by rotating the different types of crop they will renew the soil each time.  You tell them to honour you, and to use this knowledge.

The elder, Modnir, speaks back to you in his dream.  "Who are you, spirit?  Why do you teach us such things?"
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 03:09:44 pm »

"We are the Grass, and these are our lands, and we teach you because you are now our dearest children - as long as you and your descendants live, the Grass itself will watch over you, bring you health, knowledge, wealth and success. Honor us and honor our lands by following our directives, and we shall help you tread the path of the future. Work now in our name, and we shall speak again in the years to come - amass wealth and power with the facts provided, for your family shall need them if you are to be the shining beacon we have envisioned. But speak nothing of your intended future to the rest - merely make our presence understood, and follow the methods outlined, and be productive above all."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2014, 04:22:52 pm »

((Is anyone else worried about the possibility of grass nazis?))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2014, 04:32:27 pm »

((Now I am.))

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2014, 04:42:33 pm »

((I'm tempted to grow the hill people into savage barbarians who take what they want from the soft people of the valley. Of course, if you cooperate, the raids can be turned away from the valley, to the even softer people who must dwell outside. If.

I'm kidding. I wouldn't try that on my fellow spirits. I'm friendly and cooperative, I am. Whisper whisper.))

Narrow Focus GUIDE [-4 NAT] the grazers with the people to be more docile and human-friendly.

Broad Focus ALTER [-13 GEN, -7 NAT = -20] the people of the hills. Make them more hardy, tough enough to withstand hunger, cold, pain more than other men.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ĄNo parmesan!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2014, 04:57:08 pm »

((It certainly would be interesting to see, although I sorta wonder if we have the size in this valley needed to support two separate civilizations. And yeah, I don't see them being able to successfully raid a population ten times larger then them with five times the boons from us, even if we made a pact among spirits to not directly effect each others people.))

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2014, 06:40:15 pm »

Current power; 54

The ancestors obviously were disappointed that several of its kin has stopped to pay its respect to the dead. While most of the spirits tolerated the worship of other spirits, they didn't take kindly to neglection. They are dead humans after all, and pride donīt dissepear after death.

View the Cairn sites- Narrow focus, try to find who is the most devoted worshippers of the ancestors.

Power left: 48

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2014, 06:47:44 pm »

((Don't you have 33 power? Not 54? Also, between you and the giants, I think you guys have 63 power that can be put into a natural actions, and a maxed strength harm takes 64 power, I'd being willing to loan you guys the single other power if you guys decide to put a hit out on it, although I don't think I could swing five.))
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:52:05 pm by Criptfeind »

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2014, 07:16:39 pm »

((Don't you have 33 power? Not 54? Also, between you and the giants, I think you guys have 63 power that can be put into a natural actions, and a maxed strength harm takes 64 power, I'd being willing to loan you guys the single other power if you guys decide to put a hit out on it, although I don't think I could swing five.))

33, +15 from last turn, and then i get 1/5 of every culturepoint in the valley outside of Narsis!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2014, 07:29:06 pm »

"We are the Grass, and these are our lands, and we teach you because you are now our dearest children - as long as you and your descendants live, the Grass itself will watch over you, bring you health, knowledge, wealth and success. Honor us and honor our lands by following our directives, and we shall help you tread the path of the future. Work now in our name, and we shall speak again in the years to come - amass wealth and power with the facts provided, for your family shall need them if you are to be the shining beacon we have envisioned. But speak nothing of your intended future to the rest - merely make our presence understood, and follow the methods outlined, and be productive above all."

Modnir nods and takes this in.  When he wakes, he speaks of the full dream only to his children, but to the other grasslanders he brings word of the Grass that guides those who follow its creed.  Already respected for his family's keen intellect, Modnir manages to spin this into even more influence for himself, and he and his take charge over the implementation of the crop rotation, carefully ensuring the best plots of land go to his kin.  In time, this too shall bear fruit.

((I'm tempted to grow the hill people into savage barbarians who take what they want from the soft people of the valley. Of course, if you cooperate, the raids can be turned away from the valley, to the even softer people who must dwell outside. If.

I'm kidding. I wouldn't try that on my fellow spirits. I'm friendly and cooperative, I am. Whisper whisper.))

Narrow Focus GUIDE [-4 NAT] the grazers with the people to be more docile and human-friendly.

Broad Focus ALTER [-13 GEN, -7 NAT = -20] the people of the hills. Make them more hardy, tough enough to withstand hunger, cold, pain more than other men.

You guide the herds of goats, gently encouraging them to be less willful, less aggressive.  [-4 NAT]  The human-bred goats become much more docile, allowing the hillfolk to successfully domesticate them much earlier than if they had continued to select for the more passive goats on their own.  Although this effect is not genetic, the learned behaviour of successive generations will be influenced by this, and so will have a lasting effect once the guidance wears off.  With tame goats, the human herds can be expected to increase accordingly, as less attention is needed on the herd.

Having made the goats softer, you decide to make the hillfolk harder.  You spread your power through the four families that live in the hills [-13 GEN, -7 NAT] and subtly change their nature.  Their skin becomes a little thicker, they gain more resistance to cold and pain, and while they eat as much as other men, they are able to subsist on less when times grow harsh.  It will take some time for them to fully become aware of the effects, but you have made the hillfolk that much harder than those who live below.  This manifests in part as a slight increase in overall health.

[You indeed have only 33 power; 18 GEN, 15 CUL.]

33, +15 from last turn, and then i get 1/5 of every culturepoint in the valley outside of Narsis!

Actually, I changed the rules but I haven't gotten around to altering them.  You get the same +12 General Strength as everybody, but in fact you are now getting bonus culture equal to half the total culture strength of the entire valley (broadly, the system uses square roots for diminishing returns on population size).  15+18 is however the correct amount, yes.

The ancestors obviously were disappointed that several of its kin has stopped to pay its respect to the dead. While most of the spirits tolerated the worship of other spirits, they didn't take kindly to neglection. They are dead humans after all, and pride donīt dissepear after death.

View the Cairn sites- Narrow focus, try to find who is the most devoted worshippers of the ancestors.

You try to view the cairn sites up close, settling for a narrow focus.  [-4 GEN]  You don't really have the resolution to pick out individual people at this level, but after watching the cairn sites you do determine that the most devoted worshippers are those of the grasslands.  The foresters are becoming more interested in the sightings of the Golden Bear, while the fisherfolk give more lip service to the ancestors than honest prayer.  You are even able to pick out the specific family, one of the three enhanced grasslander families; the kin of the elder named Ersa.  There was some sort of connection between Ersa and the original cairns, but you don't have enough resolution to pick that sort of detail out - you can hear gists, but not specifics.

Spoiler: The Blessed River (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Grasslands (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Whispering Hills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Glowing Bog (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Village of Narsis (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:30:53 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2014, 07:39:06 pm »

View the people in the swamp (Narrow Focus I think)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2014, 07:43:35 pm »

A question for the GM: Can we use imbue on a area for a permanent magical enchantment in that area?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2014, 07:48:47 pm »

A question for the GM: Can we use imbue on a area for a permanent magical enchantment in that area?

Imbue affects objects, flora, fauna or inhabitants.  So... you have options.  You can try to enchant all the rocks in the area you pick.  You can try to enchant all the trees.  You can try to enchant the soil if you want, but soil erosion might cause strange effects.  If your focus is small enough, you can enchant a specific object that matches that focus' size, and I will permit landmarks (so for Narrow focus some sort of Pride Rock-esque monolith, for Fine focus perhaps a specific huge tree, and for Personal anything smaller down to the size of a pinhead - if you really want you can create an absurdly powerful pebble).

Remember that intensity of effect magnifies with scale.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9