Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: The Valley (Genii Locus) [For 6 Players]  (Read 8413 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Valley (Genius Locorum) [For 6 Players]
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2014, 09:07:00 pm »

The spirit was greatly impressed by the crude pottery. Although roughly shaped this was clearly the start of what the spirit wanted. It knew that it would need to reward, and further, their efforts. But first it would need to deal with the growing issue of general health, although the plagues of the plain had not reached the river, it was only a matter of time. Instead of a spot gap measure that the spirit of the plains had decided on, the river decided it would try to teach the secrets of cleanliness to the people of the river, and hopefully eventually the rest of the valley. But it would be hard to get such complex ideas to take root into so many people, so a two step program was needed.

First, Broad Focus Whisper (2 Strength): to the people of the river of the important of good health and cleanliness, and that they should seek knowledge on how to avoid sickness.

Secondly, Narrow Focus Whisper (4 Strength): To a group of river people. Whisper to them how best to stay in good health and avoid sicknesses, and that they should spread these ideas and experiment in the ways of medicine.

The river spirit then went to the house of the clayworkers and entered into a conversation with them.

Fine Focus Whisper (8 Culture Strength): "Hello my darlings. I am the Spirit of the Blessed River. I have seen your efforts to work the clay of my banks, and I am enchanted by what you have made, and have yet made. I knew I must contact you. If you will accept them I bring you three things. The first, a request, the second, my blessing, and the third, a warning."

Edit: I'm going to bed, so, in a effort to not cause the other players to have to wait for my to have a conversation and then do important stuff.

If the humans accept my blessing: Narrow Focus Alter (27 natural strength, 13 strength): Bless the humans in the area where the clayworkers live, increase their intelligence and creativity, and if possible a smug of dexterity to help with the hand work.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:43:44 pm by Criptfeind »

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2014, 10:58:45 pm »

I wish to personally focus on a single forester. Tell him "You cut the giants down, to mourn the dead, explain to me why death acquires more death? I am curious, not angry, I welcome them"
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2014, 11:17:24 am »

Silent Glow: You focus in on the inhabitants of the swamp [-4 GEN], a single family eking out a living in the marshes.  An old woman, a son and his wife, a grand-daughter.  The family live in a hut on the edge of the marshes, scouring the swamp for edible vegetables, non-poisonous fungi, small animals and grubs.  While there is not much in the way of food in the swamp, especially with the current unstable ecosystem, the family have become especially adept at avoiding the swamp's various dangers such as the quicksand, venomous snakes, poisonous plants and the like.  The elder, Juno, has even worked out several of the most useful plants for healing purposes, but without time to pick them all she can really do is tend to her own family and pass on the knowledge to her grand-daughter.

You will retain this view until you sleep, if there is more you wish to discern.

Blessed Spirit: You begin by placing a thought in the minds of the riverfolk; stave off sickness through cleanliness - learn the means by which one might keep one's health.  The thought settles, leaving them receptive to new ways to keep healthy.

Then you whisper to a handful of families in their sleep.  You don't have perfect resolution to your messages at this focus, but the details come to them in images and symbols; washing the body, keeping separate the cesspits from the fishing places, eating more than just fish to even out their diet.  Finally you leave them with an injuction - look for further means to keep one's health.

Finally, you visit the household of the pot-makers.  As they sit in their hut, moulding clay, the pots ripple with light as if from the surface of the river, reflecting the ripples onto the ceiling.  You speak to them in a soft, rippling voice.

Hello my darlings. I am the Spirit of the Blessed River. I have seen your efforts to work the clay of my banks, and I am enchanted by what you have made, and have yet made. I knew I must contact you. If you will accept them I bring you three things. The first, a request, the second, my blessing, and the third, a warning.

The two potters fall prostrate before the ripples, abandoning their work.  "Please, oh Blessed Spirit!  Tell us your will."

Sleeping Giant:  You pick a forester at random, cutting wood in the forests.  He screams in panic when one of the trees shifts slightly, and what he thought was a strange bifurcated trunk seems to become a pair of legs, and up above the trees branches move in such a way as to suggest arms, a torso and a head.  Your voice booms from the tree, like the creaking of branches and the rustling of wind through leaves.  [Personal Focus Whisper: -9 CUL, -7 GEN]

You cut the giants down, to mourn the dead, explain to me why death acquires more death? I am curious, not angry, I welcome them.

Speaking on this level grants a certain power.  While you cannot perceive more than the forester's speech in return to your words, you can do more than speak to him.  You can impart detailed knowledge directly to his mind, or even force a suggestion upon him of a particular course of action to take.  The forester takes a moment to gather his senses before he speaks.

"Great Bear, it's alive!  I mean, you're alive!  Right?  Argh.  Oh mighty, noble tree, why do you - oh, the cairns?  Oh, uh.  No, we don't cut the trees to make space for those, we just bury them in clearings.  I mean, nobody's hurt, right?  And, uh, if we did cut down any trees it's just for firewood.  You know, protect against the winter?  Please don't eat me."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2014, 11:19:07 am »

Slumber. The next age awaits.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2014, 11:19:20 am »

Waitlist?
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2014, 11:25:49 am »

Sleep on, content to wait and see.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2014, 11:39:35 am »

Waitlist?

Current waitlist is:

Harbingerjm
Froggy Ninja
Playergamer

Will slot people in in that order should people drop out.

The Whispering Wind and Grass descend into slumber.  Four spirits remain active.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2014, 01:02:05 pm »

"You protect for the winter, then winter come to protect, but before, what is golden bear?".
After he answers my question, bring about winter upon the forest, focus on the forest, then slumber.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:06:15 pm by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2014, 01:21:25 pm »

"What?  The Golden Bear?  Why, it's the bear that guards the forest.  If you pray to it, it makes sure there's plenty of game to hunt.  Wait, what was that about winter?  Hey, giant tree?  Hello?

"...is that a snowflake?"

You bring your wrath down upon the forest, for reasons that are unclear to the inhabitants.  The air chills, as cold drafts blow down from the mountains, and with heavy draughts of snow, winter comes early.  [Control Weather Broad: -20 NAT]  Your action plunges the forest into cold and darkness, months earlier than expected.  The wildlife is unprepared, with many failing to store sufficient fat or hoard sufficient food for the winter months, and the predators of the woods grow desperate and savage.  Worse, while the effect is focused primarily on the forest, weather tends to spill.  The rest of the valley suffers early cold snaps and the harvest withers in places before it is ready to be taken.  Aside from the forest, the plains are hit worst, causing a near famine that will take years to recover from.  Even worse, the effect wears off in time for winter's natural place, letting the winter simply draw out.  The "Year of Half Winter" will be remembered for generations to come.

Things will be very harsh this year for the foresters.  Exactly what will happen to them remains to be seen.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »

((Good timing on that resistance to cold and hunger, me. :P))
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2014, 02:10:38 pm »

Actually, I changed the rules but I haven't gotten around to altering them.  You get the same +12 General Strength as everybody, but in fact you are now getting bonus culture equal to half the total culture strength of the entire valley (broadly, the system uses square roots for diminishing returns on population size).  15+18 is however the correct amount, yes.

Ah, I see! Thanks for the clarification. But shouldn't some of the power from last turn carry over aswell? The 15 power I didnt use?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2014, 02:14:52 pm »

The ancestors prepare to sleep once again going back to its tombs near the tree. But before they fall into slumber, they whisper to the wind, to the sun, to the moon, to the rainspirits.The Cairn sites shall be a place of stillness and temperate climate. When the sun is at its peak in the summer, and the people sweat, the Cairn sites shall offer a cooling wind. During winter, the area will be spared from the coldest storms. When thunder and rain pours down on our kin, we shall offer our Cairn sites as protection. This shall be a place of peace and tranquillity. Lastly, the ancestors whisper to the whole valley. "Ancestors are pleased with the Cairn sites."

Narrow focus: The Carn sites: Temperate and calm climate.

Valley focus: Whisper "Ancestors are pleased with the Cairn sites."

Sleep

(0 Power left)

That's because you did use that 15 power.  ;D

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2014, 06:39:14 pm »

"Oh little ones... I come to you because I see beauty in what you do. I would request that you continue your working with the clay, for I see there is a future of great works in it, for you, or your children, or your childrens children. And I would wish to see it, and I would wish in the future to posses some work of yours. As for the warning I alluded to, it is thus.

Great as I may seem, I am not the only spirit of power in this world, and although this message may mean little to you, but keep it a secret and pass it down to your children and they down to theirs, for I foresee a day where the chosen of the spirits may come into conflict, although I have no wish for anyone who has shown the talent with the clay that you have to be harmed, already the three great families of the plains, raised up on no merit and pushed into dominance by a spirit, are being whispered to by that same self spirit that they are the chosen ones, and already they amass wealth and power. I fear for all the creators of humanity.

So, here, take my blessing, and teach your children what happened here, and if you feel it prudent, approach your neighbors, who I shall similarly bless, and tell them where their gifts have come from, perhaps teach them how to work the clay, or if they feel some other type of work is more to their favor, leave them to that. For I love all creators amongst the humans.

But ah, I go on unending. This is much for you two to take in, but keep it in mind. Soon you shall come to a greater understanding of my words."

Narrow Focus Alter (27 natural strength, 13 strength): Bless the humans in the area where the clayworkers live, increase their intelligence and creativity, and if possible a smug of dexterity

"Go then, and spread your art. I shall return, perhaps to you, or your children, or grandchildren. Fare Thee Well."

Edit: Unless the potters have something important to say or a question or something I will sleep as well.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:45:59 pm by Criptfeind »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2014, 06:42:43 pm »

I will sleep for now.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2014, 08:05:41 pm »

Blessed Spirit: The potters thank you for your wisdom and your gifts, and promise to keep your secrets and to tell their neighbours where their boon comes from.  Forewarned, they feel the effects of your blessing course through their bodies.  More focused, the change is more pronounced than those inflicted upon humans before now.  It only affects a handful of families on the river, but those it strikes are profoundly changed.  They find themselves possessed of grace and co-ordination, especially in manual dexterity.  Spatial awareness increases, and especially they find themselves with a clear and easy bent towards creative endeavour.  They are changed, a new sub-species of humanity, but close enough to remain within the bracket of 'human'.

The Blessed Ones follow your words and devote themselves to creativity, to health and to the underpinnings of medicine.  Exhausted, you sleep.

Now, all slumber save the Ancestors.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9