Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How sad are you that a simple issue can bring out the worst in people?

It makes me sad. So very very sad.
- 58 (49.6%)
I think it's great!
- 26 (22.2%)
I'm indifferent.
- 33 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: 2014: Equal rights  (Read 53274 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2014: Equal rights
« Reply #225 on: July 14, 2014, 02:28:45 pm »

OOOOOKAY troll or not, there has been a massive thread drift (and not the good kind)

Anyone else see different ways we can use this mechanic?

Someone mentioned earlier an entirely gay race, maybe something like succubi, or some sort of demon race.
Succubi have are not typically portrayed as homosexual,—to my knowledge—but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be an interesting thing to implement. Some sort of creature that sneaks into the fort as if it was a vampire.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Azukash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 14, 2014, 02:28:51 pm »

Possibly an entirely female race that abducts male children to be used as a way to reproduce?

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 14, 2014, 02:29:21 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:30:56 pm by Toady One »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 14, 2014, 02:29:30 pm »

How about Atheism.

I would say atheism wouldn't fit too well, by the simple fact that Gods are actually visibly acting upon the world.  Agnosticism may fit better because of that.

It happened with the Dwemer in Elder Scrolls. Didn't go too well for them, what with the vanish-from-existence thing. And why not have a modifier like this one being tested here, to have a chance of disbelief/agnostic/don't care/somewhat-religious/devout/militant? Even more options!

I would change the edges to disenchanted (ie."The gods have a lot to answer for.") and Zealot (Zealots don't necessarily have to be militant, just be unwilling to listen to you if you contradict them.)

How about Atheism.

I would say atheism wouldn't fit too well, by the simple fact that Gods are actually visibly acting upon the world.  Agnosticism may fit better because of that.
Atheism in older worlds could be possible, since the gods are no longer involved in the world and most monsters are dead. One of the older ages even has this description "The Age of Civilization was a time when fantastic creatures were but mere stories told by travelers."

It could be interesting to see an actual moral progression in a race.

So the modifiers of belief being changed based on what the age is?  That would make sense.  Should I put up a new thread to continue the 'Atheism in DF' discussion on DF suggestions, since it isn't in the game and this thread is (well, intended) to be about an already in-game mechanic?

Edit: So many ninjas....
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 14, 2014, 02:30:02 pm »

What was that ancient Greek fighting force, made of gay couples? The theory was they would fight better if they were with their lover. Don't remember their name, or I'd link it...

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 14, 2014, 02:30:07 pm »

OOOOOKAY troll or not, there has been a massive thread drift (and not the good kind)

Anyone else see different ways we can use this mechanic?
The first thing I can think of is kill off all the elves, but, hey, that's just me.

It was stated earlier that that's impossible since they're immortal. It would limit their growth however If you so choose.

@azukash. lol, wonder how that could be implimented. Maybe something to do with how child snatching is done.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 14, 2014, 02:30:39 pm »

Possibly an entirely female race that abducts male children to be used as a way to reproduce?
Very interesting.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 14, 2014, 02:31:10 pm »

Yes, we need to re-rail the thread. Quick, how could we weaponise homosexuality?

Only two ways I've thought of to derive benefit are to ratchet up homosexuality to save on beds without increasing the number of children, and lesbian dwarves have no babies to carry into battle and then lose their shit over.
The lesbian dwarfs would be particularly useful, maybe just leaving 1/10 of the female population straight so the civilization doesn’t die.
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 14, 2014, 02:31:44 pm »

It was stated earlier that that's impossible since they're immortal. It would limit their growth however If you so choose.
Hm.
This is why I need to read the thread. And pay more attention to the game.
Have fun discussing this, guys.
Take a closer look at this text!

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2014, 02:31:50 pm »

What was that ancient Greek fighting force, made of gay couples? The theory was they would fight better if they were with their lover. Don't remember their name, or I'd link it...

The Sacred Band of Thebes.

Speaking of which, someone mentioned the advantage of lesbian dorfs being soldiers. Maybe you could danger-room a godly melee squad of female lovers?

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 14, 2014, 02:34:00 pm »

Speaking of which, someone mentioned the advantage of lesbian dorfs being soldiers. Maybe you could danger-room a godly melee squad of female lovers?
That would definitely make Amazons, minus the female loving part.

Man this thread is ON FIRE.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 14, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »

Out of curiosity, would it make more sense to have some races more/less gay? I really don't picture Dwarves as gay, but elves I can. It's just how I view the races.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 14, 2014, 02:34:40 pm »

If morale became advanced enough to receive a buff when near a loved one that would work but for now you just run the risk of "lost a spouse to tragedy" and "witnessed death" hitting simultaneously.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 14, 2014, 02:35:05 pm »

Incubi and succubi, depending on which grimoire you decide to read (ahem), can be either "The exact same thing", to "Discrete things that work together to undermine creation".

In the first manner, they are sometimes depicted as sexual shapechangers, who assume a form suitable for the collection of semen, (typically female, but could also be homosexual male I suppose), where they seduce a male individual and do the dirty with them to get their spunk.

They then transform into a male form, after using their demonic powers to alter the semen they have collected, to produce corrupted demonic children on women, again using their seduction powers.

When attacking males, they are known as succubi, and when attacking women, they are known as incubi.

The second methodology proposed in traditional demonological texts involves a pair of entities-- one who collects, then transfers to its partner-- the act of transferrence being where the corruption takes place, where the later then sews its corrupt seed upon the world.

Both are the results of very dogmatic views of sexuality promulgated by the catholic church in the dark ages.

Surprisingly, this isnt that far removed from the current "Night creature spouse" type transformations that happen in the game already.

Darksilverhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 14, 2014, 02:36:07 pm »

You don't even have to do anything to weaponize these. Give me amazon lesbian militia squads or give me death! Or both, as is inevitable.

Seriously, though, while I tend to keep my dorfs from starting families where possible, mechanically I am 100% in favor of anything that allows couples to exist without them popping out a constant stream of children. Unintentional or not, it's a good addition.
When a dwarf has to make a decision, they will make the wrong one approximately 99.7% of the time.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21