Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away (Scum Victory)  (Read 45803 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away (Signups closed)
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2014, 12:26:45 pm »

Everyone: I'm still a bit confused about the idea's of buddying and distancing. Could someone explain that to me?

I can hop in here and try to explain those concepts. Distancing, as explained in the MafiaScum Wiki, is the act of pulling away from someone. When employed as a tactic, the distancer either disagrees or outright argues with their target to show that they aren't working together. That means, if the other player turns out to be mafia, there's no need to defend yourself, since you weren't a "team" anyway, right?

Buddying is the act of becoming, either through use of language or even just through parallel opinion, closer to another player. It's a fairly effective tactic, since it's easily concealed and not particularly risky, especially if the points the other player has brought up are logical and/or correct. Being close to said player allows you to influence them, if they are that sort of personality, or you can just use try to get their target lynched.

While they may seem diametrically opposed, you can use these tactics together, such as what Yabbo was, seemingly unintentionally, doing above. If you appear to be at odds with another player, but their lynch target is beneficial to you, you can get the lynch you want and conceal your buddying. Then when/if the target turns town, you're mostly in the clear, since your buddy most likely put up the majority of the argument. Potentially very convenient for scum, no?

ICs: Any problems with those explanations or anything to add?

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away Day 1
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2014, 06:37:20 pm »

I might be confused because of timezones, but doesn't the day end in a few hours?

I'm kind of waiting on responses from Nerjin and Deathsword, so i'm not sure what to do now.

At the moment we have two votes on Blitz and two on Nerjin, right?

Given what i've seen so far i do think Nerjin seems the most scummy and so i'm not going to pull my vote off for lack of response. But lynching anyone is probably better than lynching noone (which is what happens if the votes are tied, right?).

Or should we extend? I won't have much time to post over the weekend :/

As far as Blitz goes i actually thought he looked the most town out of everyone before people started pointing suspicions at him. But now with his responses i'm not so sure at all.

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2014, 06:49:16 pm »

Err, i should clarify that it's already friday for me.

In case you're around:

Illgeo and Deathsword: What made Blitz look so scummy? Just a lot of low content posts? How is that different from a new town player wanting to participate but not knowing how to get the ball rolling?

Frostmoon and anailater: What are your thoughts on the current situation?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2014, 07:00:25 pm »

Day ends at 7pm Pacific on Thursday, approximately 26 hours from now

There are 0 votes for an extension.

There are 0 votes for a shorten.

I'll give you all a votecount tomorrow, I'm really tired right now and can't be trusted to get the votes right.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2014, 07:05:39 pm »

*Realizes today is Thursday*

*sighs*

Due to mod stupidity, day has been extended 24 hours

Day ends at 7 pm Pacific on Friday

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2014, 07:12:31 pm »

It's a votecount!

Frostmoon:
Scipten:
yobbo:
anailater
Gulddom:
BlitzDungeoneer: Illgeo, Deathsword
Illgeo:
Nerjin: Scripten, yobbo
Deathsword:

Not Voting: Frostmoon, anailater, Gulddom, BlitzDungeoneer, Nerjin

Please tell me if I missed something.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2014, 07:43:12 pm »

Can I make a vote to extend? I'm seeing a ton of inactivity, and I'm not so thrilled about that. We're liable to see scum win by lack of player activity or worse, the whole game just dying. I may also be paranoid because that particular issue plagued the last BM I was a part of.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2014, 07:44:54 pm »

1/4 votes for extension.
0/5 votes for shorten.

There are two extends remaining today.

Can I make a vote to extend? I'm seeing a ton of inactivity, and I'm not so thrilled about that. We're liable to see scum win by lack of player activity or worse, the whole game just dying. I may also be paranoid because that particular issue plagued the last BM I was a part of.
I mod-extended one day because I am a horrible person, so the day ends tomorrow.

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just your average eldritch feline. :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2014, 08:02:19 pm »

yobbo:
Frostmoon and anailater: What are your thoughts on the current situation?
I'm rather ambivalent with Blitz's lynch. Blitz's actions are giving me a heavy 'fumbling unsure newbie' vibe, but he easily could be a 'fumbling newbie' and scum at the same time.

In comparison, I find Nerjin to be scummier, if only because he's not posting much game-related content. In his first post, he yelled at everyone to quote, possibly role-fished with his question to anailater, told Blitz to be more proactive, replied to my question, quoted Scripten on his little 'don't role-fish' response to Blitz, ranted about being random voted, and continued his rant about random voting. He didn't use his IC green at all (though he claims he just forgot) and, after there being around five pages of content using the default forum settings, didn't post many things that were relevant to most of the situations at hand, such as the anailater/yobbo debate. His second post mostly consists of a rant on why not to role-fish, which, in hindsight, feels somewhat hypocritical given his question to anailater. However, I did ask him a question about role-fishing, so it's probably my fault he launched into a rant about it. Anyway, his third post was a rant correlating loaded guns and voting, using a 'The Boy who Cried Wolf'-type narrative. This time, though, it was written in his IC green. He also explained that he forgot to use his IC green in his first post. That's all he's posted. Not much on the other players, just (possibly IC) rants on role-fishing and random voting.

Oh, and I'm fine with an extension.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2014, 08:48:07 pm »

Yobbo: To be honest, I'm unsure I agree that Blitz and Nerjin (Which autocorrect we to Jerkin) are by far the most suspicious CURRENTLY, however due to the relative newness of Blitz, and the ranting of Nerjin Im quite honestly thinking its him, and in that case...
[colour=red]NERJIN! Explain yourself![/color]
Also I vote No extend! It feels unnecessary with the already created extension.
((Sorry about formatting and spelling, it's late and I'm posting from phone.))
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2014, 09:16:33 pm »

If you need a replacement IC or any thing like that, drop me a PM.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2014, 09:34:25 pm »

Oh, and Mephansteras, could we get this thread stickied to the top like the other BM's?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2014, 03:19:00 pm »

game ends  less than six hours

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2014, 03:21:56 pm »

Spoiler: anailater (click to show/hide)

Anailater

Spoiler: Frostmoon (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scripten (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Yobbo (click to show/hide)

game ends  less than six hours

Oh... Um... well I guess good game everyone? I didn't know this was a one lynch mafia.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2014, 04:39:23 pm »

Spoiler: anailater (click to show/hide)

Anailater
I'm I wrong in saying one of the most scummy things you can do is give up, and if I'm not mistaken saying but I'm dead anyways is giving up, you're not helping your reputation right now.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24