Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away (Scum Victory)  (Read 45790 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away (Signups closed)
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2014, 03:50:07 am »

Deathsword: that was a joke. You may or may not have heard of the concept.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2014, 06:14:30 am »

So, Blitz.
Nothing in particular, but some examples would be;
Not participating much without providing a good reason.
Asking suspicious questions.
You're showing everything you said is first day scumtell to you.
Also, you said some people suspicious for you, yet you aren't trying to pressure them.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2014, 06:18:49 am »

Care to explain yourself?

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2014, 06:42:10 am »

Blitz: While I know I've already made some myself, do you think it's a good idea to make jokes when it's your life on the line?
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2014, 06:45:53 am »

This phone and quotes don't play well with each other, still this warrants a post.
blitz: first, get of your active lurking behind and fetch those questions yourself. Second, what was a joke? Since you refuse to quote, I got no idea what you are talking about.

{if you are going to make jokes, make them horribly obvious as I did by,.for example adding [/joke] after it.}
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2014, 01:05:33 pm »

Well, I honestly don't care. All that matters to me is that we get the scum in the end. If I die in the process... Meh. I trust people in the game to play logically. If you see something up with my play then you need to press me on it.

Why did you vote me? Was it because I've done something that warrents getting voted? No? So it was a pressure vote right out of the gate with no real pressure behind it. I hate when people vote just to vote. Your vote is a weapon. I wouldn't appreciate you pointing a loaded gun at my face for giggles. Treat your vote like a loaded gun. It's going to get somebody killed.

-snip-

In my opinion your vote is a loaded gun. You should use it only if you are certain someone is scum or you want to pressure them. Just voting to vote is annoying and makes me view that person as trying to put on an act.

Everything else you've said is fine with me, but as far as this goes... NOOOOOOOOOPE.

Putting pressure on other players with a vote is not anything like waving a gun in their face, and the implication goes against the entire idea of your vote being a power, which is something you guys touched upon earlier. I chose you because, out of everyone who hadn't spoken, I thought you would be the most interesting to hear from. Regardless, trying to bully people into not using their votes is basically telling the entire town not to use their most common and powerful tool for taking care of scum. If this was a situation where you were at L-1 (One vote left to lynch) I would have held my vote if I wasn't mostly sure, but that's not often the situation.

I bolded the important parts. Pressure is fine. Voting just to vote with no reason isn't. I said as much. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not bullying anyone. I'm giving my advice as I feel it is needed. In my opinion, which you are welcome to ignore, you should only vote someone if there's a benefit to it aside from "I voted them".

Let me put it this way: It [your vote] IS a loaded gun. You can kill someone. Let's say me and DS are hanging out and I want to scare him. I pull a gun on him. "HOLY CREPES!" he shouts in fear. Then I put the gun away. Then I pull the gun on MOWE. She also shouts "HOLY CREPES!" and I put it away. So on and so on until, eventually, no one is worried when I pull the gun on them. At least not enough to panic. Yeah I could shoot them with it. But I've shown that I'm willing to whip out the gun at the slightest provocation. Therefore my threats aren't very threatening. Essentially it's the law of diminishing returns. To my way of thinking anyways.

On last thing, you haven't used your lime IC text for any of your explanations yet. Does that mean that nothing you've said so far is to be objectively trustworthy? And does that mean you don't think we're pretty enough? Because we are.

It means I forgot to use it.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away Day 1
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2014, 02:08:03 pm »

Nernin:What if, in the above situation, instead of holy crepes, they pointed there own loaded gun at you, how does that change the situation?
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2014, 03:13:53 pm »

Guiddom: Who do you think hasn't posted enough to get a good read on, and why aren't you asking them questions?

Scripten:
You mean being clear? I haven't avoided any questions that I'm aware of, though if I've missed any, please go ahead and let me know. Obviously, I'm not going to go out of my way to be or seem dangerous, but I haven't held any punches. I just see no reason why I should need to attack anyone outright in the current climate. I've made my thoughts and suspicions clear. And, just to clarify, I focused on lurkers because we had two ICs doing just, which was really worrisome. (I've been in multiple games where scum literally posted twice or three times in the entire game and won.) Now that everyone's showed up, I have some content to go on.

Frankly, you could construe a lot as a good scum tactic during RVS. There's just not enough evidence to make good claims until we've all said our pieces. That being said, I do have my eyes set on BlitzDungeoneer. However, I'm keeping my vote on Nirjin for reasons I'll get into below.
I guess i mean being both very clear and non-confrontational. Well, given your attack on Nerjin it's probably just your style to post like that. It could also be that you've played a few games and are experienced in how not to look scummy. I'm still a little worried that you seem like you'd be very good at hiding things.

Nerjin:
In my opinion your vote is a loaded gun. You should use it only if you are certain someone is scum or you want to pressure them. Just voting to vote is annoying and makes me view that person as trying to put on an act.
How can you get someone to slip up if they don't at least think you're putting pressure on them? (serious question)

As i'm not voting you, you must be awful calm in your potentially scummy little world there.
Admittedly it wasn't very clear that this was directed at you, but with all the telling us to quote, i figured you'd actually look at the author of the quotes.

I bet if i had put your name in nice shiny red font you would have paid attention to it.

You used your lime text for the gun metaphor this time so i'll assume it's a general belief you have and not trying to scare newbies away from voting. But so far in this game everyone has already shown that they take votes very seriously indeed, and hardly anyone has actually been using them. Also my vote was very clearly intended to put pressure on anailater. So why did you feel the need to talk about voting to vote and try to direct people away from using the one tool most of them have to find and lynch scum?

Also:
The scumness of multiple suspicions decrease as the game goes by, as people die and behaviours become more traceable, but it's definitely suspicious and risky(Unless you know who everyone is) to suspect multiple people.
Also I have a question, what do you think us the best way to avoid being night killed?

No, it isn’t. It’s perfectly fine to be suspicious of multiple people at once in the early game. Especially day 1 where all you really have to go on are gut reads and the like. As the game goes on you can focus more on specific people AND you have more information to go on. So no multiple suspicions isn’t scummy.

Also, I like that question. Why did you ask it?
If anailater was actually a town power role and asking this in order to subtly get advice (which i don't think is necessarily the case), pressing him over why he asked it would be a very scummy thing to do indeed. So, why are you doing something that at very least is anti-town?

I hope it is obvious that i am not just voting to vote here, but actually find your behaviour actively scummy.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2014, 04:33:25 pm »

yobbo: Being clear and non-confrontational is alright when the situation suits it. Aggressiveness has its place, but you can often get away with much more by just being clear and expecting the same from your target. For example, you've used the information I gleaned from Nerjin to make your own judgement on him. In fact, what you've just done could be construed as a form of buddying. You distanced yourself from me before taking up a point I'd made. That's not to say that I consider you particularly scummy yet, but I expect you to respond to my accusation and, from that, I can glean more information from you. I don't really hold with the idea that being aggressive is the end-all method of information extraction. :P

I bolded the important parts. Pressure is fine. Voting just to vote with no reason isn't. I said as much. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not bullying anyone. I'm giving my advice as I feel it is needed. In my opinion, which you are welcome to ignore, you should only vote someone if there's a benefit to it aside from "I voted them.

One last thing, you haven't used your lime IC text for any of your explanations yet. Does that mean that nothing you've said so far is to be objectively trustworthy? And does that mean you don't think we're pretty enough? Because we are.

It means I forgot to use it.

Nerjin: That's not what you were referring to, though. You were talking about a post I made where I put pressure on you to speak up, with some thought behind it. Even if I didn't explain my thought process, you should take that as it is and respond, not try to keep people from voting. Since it seems to be a pet peeve, can you provide an example of when using your vote would be bad for the town? I don't believe I've ever seen a situation where a vote made against someone didn't put pressure on them, including when it is used frequently. (Which we haven't seen in this game yet.) Maybe if the voter is flailing, but that is just poor playing, not a misuse of a vote, per se.

Also, while I was joking about the green text, it is rather suspicious when you say that you're going to put advice in a certain color and then give advice while using uncolored text. Comes across as sneaky.

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2014, 05:13:41 pm »

yobbo: Being clear and non-confrontational is alright when the situation suits it. Aggressiveness has its place, but you can often get away with much more by just being clear and expecting the same from your target. For example, you've used the information I gleaned from Nerjin to make your own judgement on him. In fact, what you've just done could be construed as a form of buddying. You distanced yourself from me before taking up a point I'd made. That's not to say that I consider you particularly scummy yet, but I expect you to respond to my accusation and, from that, I can glean more information from you. I don't really hold with the idea that being aggressive is the end-all method of information extraction. :P
Yeah, i realize getting off your case and then following your attack target looks a little off. But my suspicions aren't actually based on yours. If you hadn't brought up the point about the lack of green IC text i would've, but even after it was answered i found myself still suspicious.

After Nerjin's original response to me i actually felt like maybe i was doing the wrong thing when i voted anailater. And that to me is really fishy. Because that vote actually fell right into the category of "pressure vote".

I even made sure to make it look like a real vote to add to the pressure.

I think that's the point for me tho, i'm not sure how to get someone to slip up without being aggressive. I feel like if everyone just politely chats with each other there'll be nothing that would force someone to act in a different way depending on their alignment. Everyone would just politely chat.

It's probably just inexperience there for me. But i kind of see aggressiveness as the only way to get information at the start.

Funnily enough the question of mine that Nerjin missed was about how to find scum if you're not aggressively using your vote.

Gulddom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2014, 06:40:56 pm »

Gulddom: Welcome to the game! :3 So, why is Blitz scummier than everyone else? Is there anyone that's giving you a townie vibe, or is everyone else either neutral or null?
Frostmoon: I explained in my post earlier Blitz has been guilty of a lot of active lurking and tried to rolefish. (Although I think the rolefishing was an honest mistake.) I don't have any real leanings towards anyone else being scum or townies.
Quote from: yobbo
Guiddom: Who do you think hasn't posted enough to get a good read on, and why aren't you asking them questions?
Yobbo: Blitz hasn't posted much recently. As to the questions. I honestly was a bit overwhelmed at all of the information and couldn't think of anything.
Blitz: Do you think that playing dumb would be a good scum tactic for a player's first few games?
Everyone: I'm still a bit confused about the idea's of buddying and distancing. Could someone explain that to me?

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just your average eldritch feline. :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2014, 07:07:27 pm »

Scripten: You know, your second post has bugging me for a quite a while now. In response to anailater's statement about how "[Scripten] made sure to point out how often [Scripten] hadn't been scum," you never stated whether or not you had been scum, you just merely said that you "never mentioned that [Scripten] hadn't been scum." In fact, you only outright stated that you had played scum before in your sixth post, and that was after being FoSed by anailater. While it could easily a fumble of miscommunication, it feels to me to be closer to a careful act of elusion instead.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2014, 07:19:30 pm »

Frostmoon: The short and long of it is that I hadn't said anything about having played scum. Anailater accused me of saying that I'd rarely been scum when I'd said absolutely nothing about it at all. I did eventually list what I've played before when it seemed to me that it was a hot topic.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2014, 11:23:33 pm »

Deathsword:
So now you'll suspect yourself as scum, right :P?
But of course. In fact, I might very well vote for myself during the Lynch.
This was a joke. Also, power blackouts. Had you checked you might have noticed I wasn't online, and probably won't be for the next few days.
Gulddom: Perhaps. Playing dumb would certainly be a viable tactic.
Blitz: While I know I've already made some myself, do you think it's a good idea to make jokes when it's your life on the line?
A very good idea. What, am I supposed to be super serious all day, everyday?
Second Deathsword: You also seem very quick to blame me for active lurking without checking your facts. Care to explain why?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Gulddom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2014, 10:44:45 am »

Blitz: It would be helpful if you could post some of these facts rather than just telling us there are some.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24